A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Half of my face is paralyzed: I knit an eye patch! Also, Talk Like A Pirate Day!  (Read 5888 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008 02:38:00 PM »

Arr, matey, ye be doin' quite splendid with the craftin' and the humor-makin'! Keep it up!

Heh, makes me think of the ad that says Craftster is cheaper than therapy. Smiley I can say with perfect honesty that that is the most attractive eyepatch I have ever seen (and I saw lots while shopping for my TLAPD pARRRty!). A handmade eyepatch in pretty colors is definitely cooler than boring plastic. Smiley And apparently more comfortable, judging from the experience of others.

You know, if you're going to have a medical condition that could possibly get you down, having one that's craftable, temporary, and that works out perfectly for a holiday is definitely the way to go! Smiley Nobody wants something like that to happen in the first place, but you really lucked out with the circumstances, and with the positive attitude!

In high school, I had to wear a retainer that looked like a transparent football mouthguard. Talking was a challenge - my Ms came out funny, and Fs and Ss were impossible. It was not a fun situation, but the way I saw it, I could either be utterly miserable for that short period of time (nights only after the first 3 days), or have fun with it. So I hammed it up all I could and had my friends near tears in laughter, and it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Attitude is everything when it comes to things like this, and you've got a great one!

And if you're brave enough to post here, I think you should send this to the Pirate Guys - they'd probably be proud of you for turning an otherwise uncomfortable situation into a way to celebrate the best holiday ever invented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
spicecarrie
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008 05:57:21 PM »

Great job in the eyepatch!! All the best with the Bell's Palsy, I also knew someone who had it when I first met her and she's doing great now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008 08:23:13 PM »

Wow, I had no idea Bell's palsy was so common! My mom and one of my high school teachers had it, but neither of them rocked a super-cool knit eyepatch. I hope the palsy clears up soon, or as I should have said yesterday, may the winds be favorable to ye, m'lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
Dai-chan
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008 04:57:56 PM »

I knit eyepatches for my boyfriend and me for the last Pirates of the Caribbean premiere, but they weren't as good as yours, I like the colors ^_^.

Also, good for you being such a glass-half-full person... ^_^V
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008 07:25:15 PM »

You go girl!!  What a fantastic idea.  And I love that it all happened at the perfect time.  Everything happens for a reason, right?

You are a beautiful woman!!  I for one, hope you do work up the courage to wear it out!!  I know for a fact that I would be so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008 08:57:51 AM »

love the eyepatch and your sense of humor. My best friend had Bells palsey in high school and she could do the best Elvis lipcurl. We were all slightly jealous. It took her about two months to fully recover, but now she is just fine. Best of luck and be sure to get yourself some fun swirly straws.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethr311
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008 09:44:23 PM »

That patch is awesome!  But I can understand why you don't want to wear it out in public, because then everyone wants to know why, and telling them all would get old.

My husband had Bell's back in the day, I wished I'd made him a cool patch like this!  The Bell's did clear up, but it is scary at first.

I wanted to say to all of you who said that crooked smiles could be nice: THANK YOU.  I was in an accident that left my smile not right and I still hate it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottymama

not so knotty anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008 11:00:16 AM »

I had bells palsy when I was younger.  I wish I would have thought to use an eye patch since I couldn't close my freakin eye!

Nice knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soulful hues knits and knacks, hand dyed recycled yarn and fun vintage finds!http://www.soulfulhues.etsy.com

my blog: http://soulfulhuesknits.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph a Dog in a Studio
How to Calibrate Your Camera Part 2/3
How to Shoot a rock band
How to Understand DPI
How to Shoot a Two Year Old Child
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...