A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,332
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Half of my face is paralyzed: I knit an eye patch! Also, Talk Like A Pirate Day!  (Read 6627 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2008 10:39:41 PM »

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy last week, a temporary condition where one side of your face is paralyzed.  The doctor told me to wear an eye patch (to prevent things from flying into it), so naturally I knit one. 

Let me tell you, people, there has never been a better time to have the palsy.  It just so happens that Friday is Talk Like a Pirate Day, and I just so happen to look like a pirate when I try to smile:

Much better with a patch!

No, I am not ashamed to put these pictures on teh internets.

It is fully lined, interfaced, and weighted so that it actually hangs over my eye.  I haven't worked up enough courage to actually wear this in public.

I put the pattern on my blog!!!  And more exciting details!!!!!!
http://nataliedanger.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/what-was-the-pirates-favorite-eye-patch-arrrrrrrgyle/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008 08:16:36 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008 10:56:48 PM »

That's awesome that you turned lemons into lemonade! The eyepatch is pretty sweet if I do say so myself. I like that it doesn't have a big elastic strap that digs in to your forehead!
I've only known one other person who has had Bells Palsy, but it went away pretty quickly. She didn't get a cool eye patch, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
sarahiously
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008 11:11:53 PM »

haha thats so awesome! does it help you speak like a pirate?
Btw half smiles are totally hot anyway... so with the eyepatch and the smirk your gonna get twice as much candy in your goody bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
For wishlist ideas: http://www.etsy.com/favorite_listings.php
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008 12:20:31 AM »

One of my girlfriends got Bells Palsy in high school, she also, did not get an awesome eyepatch. So I love your eyepatch!! And that it is weighted, and doesn't have snappy elastic. Nicely done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Bringing the Extraordinary, to the Ordinary -
fartface
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008 12:49:29 AM »

HAHAHAA!! THOUEST ART SO VERY AWESOMETH!!! ..hmm....that's not exactly pirate talk is it...but congratulations for making such an awesome eye patch and being so cool and positive about it all. i hope you get better soon! Smiley and i hope you don't mind me stealing the eye patch idea. I think I'm going to make one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaosinside
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008 01:20:19 AM »

Hello everybody!  Smiley I'm new on Craftster and I'm from Italy, from Sicily! I found this community by chance and I'm amazed about it, It's great, you are great!
I love ladybugs and this one is fantastic!  Smiley
Bye,
Giada
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008 01:59:14 AM »

This is fantastic!!
When my mum was in the hospice, she found out her cancer had spread to her brain which pressed on her optical nerve, and so was presented with a plain eyepatch, which I then stole and embroidered a skull and crossbones onto!! She laughed herself silly when I showed her a picture of what she looked like with it on. Its one of my favourite memories of mum!!

I also have a naturally wonky smile and have been told a thousand times that its rather hot!!

xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008 02:20:14 AM »

I had Bell's Palsy about 8 months ago too! It's so weird and random but I keep coming across people who are around my age who have had it. My face went back to normal after only 2-3 weeks though, so make sure to take the meds you get even though doctors don't know if they have an effect or not (I think they do because I saw an immediate difference in mine). I freaked out when I first got it, thought I had a stroke or something, haha.

I wish I would have had the sense to knit an awesome eye patch like yours, but I settled for a plain black one and just glued some buttons onto it to make it look like an eye. I had to keep working the whole time at a bookshop, the stares and comments were priceless. I say wear it with pride and have fun on talk like a pirate day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008 05:24:30 AM »

I've seen several knitted eyepatches but I like yours the best; should take no courage at all to wear it in public, it's lovely.  Weighting it was very smart!  And thanks for the reminder about Talk Like a Pirate Day - I would have let it slip by and that would be a geniune shame.  Good luck with the palsy, from what I understand it should only last a short time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008 10:33:20 AM »

To err is human,
To Arrrrrr is pirate!

Perfect timing, and what a great reminder to make the most of life...

Ahoy! It's a good thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Truth in Advertizing Book Launch Party at Mother New York
Unexpected Gifts Book Trailer by Chris Heuertz
She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg
All That Is Red
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...