A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kable Knitting Needle Roll  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manpan
« on: September 17, 2008 07:24:07 PM »

Here is the pattern:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kable/kable.html

And here is my finished project:

A little wonky here and there, but functional, and my first try at both cables and felting.  The cables were actually really easy- only the first cable I did felt clumsy and then it was easy.

Tip- if anyone else makes this, I would highly suggest NOT doubling up on the yarn- the finished roll is incredibly thick, like yoga mat thick- part of it was because all my purl stitches were twisted (I yo'd clockwise instead of counterclockwise because I didn't know any better at the time) but I think it would still be too thick even done correctly.  Maybe use slightly smaller needles if not doubling up, and just making sure the measurements were still the same.  I used lion brand wool, and I had to throw it in the dryer to get it to shrink enough (felted it by hand, not doing THAT again  Roll Eyes )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008 05:10:55 AM »

When I first looked at it, I thought, wow, what a clever idea to use cables as needle holder. I love cables! But now I look at it and think - how? what? Apart from it becoming bulky when its rolled up - how did you get it to be felted so evenly? I think you were right to do this by hand. A machine would probably have felted some parts more than others, and ruined your work. I think the cable would've shrunk less than the background. I am not very experienced in felting, so I could be wrong about this.
Anyway, lovely needle roll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manpan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008 06:02:57 PM »

Thanks- There are are little holes between each cable and hold the needles beautifully.  The body of it was felted alone- we did it in the bathtub with many changes of really hot water and some dish soap- my husband did most of the work as his arms are longer and bigger and he had more power- just used a LOT of agitation.  The cables were knitted up separately and sewn onto the felted piece- which is why they are a bit uneven.  Tongue

But yeah, this project was easy, felting isn't hard, I would definitely use one strand of yarn instead of two though and modify the number of stiches done to account for it, using smaller needles.  It was waaaaay to thick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Robert Crais
Suzanne Guillette Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...