A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
777 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An all black and white quilt?  (Read 7912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008 06:56:02 AM »

if you google "quilt fabric calculator" you will get lots of different options.  i use the first two sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
knottie
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008 08:02:03 AM »

I think black and white can be fabulous and interesting..
check out http://images.google.com/images?q=black%20white%20quilt&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

(hope that link works...it's google images of b&w quilts)

But I personally would add just a touch of red...maybe as piping between the quilt center and borders.  Something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008 06:19:39 AM »

I'm collecting fabric for one myself!  Hopefully, one day, I'll be doing more than collecting.  Smiley

I don't think you need an accent color.  But if you wanted one... As much as I think red is overdone, I'm leaning that way myself.  But I think turquoise is another good choice, emerald green, or gold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacquieg
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008 01:46:41 PM »

i love the start you have here and you have chosen some great fabrics.  if you are staying with the black and white (which i love), pay attention to the value and scale of your prints.  pin your fabrics up on the wall and stand back about 7 to 10 feet and then you will really be able to tell which fabrics play well together so that you don't end up with mush.  as for amounts of fabrics...did i miss the size of your blocks and how large you want the quilt to be?  lots of variables to how much fabric you'll need.  have fun...looks to me like it's going to be stunning! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008 03:49:11 PM »

Thanks! I was thinking I needed to count up numbers of darks, lights, and mediums. The one block I finished was 10 inches, but I am thinking I would like to do 12 inch blocks. I'm not sure what size finished quilt, I would love for it to be queen sized to fit my bed, but thinking lap quilt size is a good project.

I like all the colors suggested! I am still leaning towards adding just a bit of red or possibly purple or teal. I'm gonna get some more blocks done and then see. I think I want to do a sampler style with a variety of block patterns to figure stuff out!

Oh, and this is kinda funny, but I was off work for a couple months, and when I went back I found out that a co-worker made a black, red, and white quilt and is raffling it off for a girl who got hit by a car when she was doing the hood to coast race. It is really pretty!

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008 03:50:36 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
melicon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008 11:59:33 PM »

I really like the fabrics you have chosen and really can't help you with the amounts you would need - most quilters have an addiction for fabrics and would say more is better. LOL
If it were my quilt I would probably use a black with white for a narrow sashing and teal cornerstones. (teal is my fav color) But that's me and this is your quilt. Have fun with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JuliaY
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008 08:47:29 AM »

Another comment in favour of  adding a little dark red in the sashing or binding just to give it that litttle something.  It'll be absolutely gorgeous when you've done.  Hope you post some photo's somewhere...... for us all to ohhh and ahhh over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008 04:57:26 PM »

I like that first block!  Nice going.  Smiley 

I had to figure out yardage once for a quilt and it took me forever...  I hated it!  You can figure it out, if you desire but it may not be worth your time.  For example, if you plan on using that same block and just alternating the fabrics, it's do-able.

For a lap quilt, with 12 inch blocks you can probably get away with a 3x4 pattern with either sashing or a border.  Like someone else said if you know what block patter you are using you can use a quilt calculator to figure out how much fabric you need for piece A, piece B, and so on.  Once you have that you can divide it between your number of fabrics and that should help a bit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
redcleo
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008 08:18:36 AM »

I did a black and white quilt myself a while back - nothing fancy, since it was my first and I really just needed something to cover the bed for the purpose of selling the house.

(Yes, it's just fat quarters sewn together. It was my first forray into quilting. It's not bound yet, and was hand-tied instead of machine- or hand-quilted, since I didn't have the right foot on my machine yet, but it works. The binding is all cut out; I just need the time to put it all together.)

I'm not a huge fan of black and white (I'm more of a brown and cream girl), and I still liked how it turned out, and have since been drawn to more black and white projects. I like the pattern you picked out, and would definitely just go for it. Black and white is incredibly versatile.

I like what other people have said about a bright shot of color for the binding, but if you want the piece to remain versatile, then stick with the black and white theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008 03:01:12 PM »

I did a black and white quilt myself a while back - nothing fancy, since it was my first and I really just needed something to cover the bed for the purpose of selling the house.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/2564840826_277826b212.jpg

(Yes, it's just fat quarters sewn together. It was my first forray into quilting. It's not bound yet, and was hand-tied instead of machine- or hand-quilted, since I didn't have the right foot on my machine yet, but it works. The binding is all cut out; I just need the time to put it all together.)

I'm not a huge fan of black and white (I'm more of a brown and cream girl), and I still liked how it turned out, and have since been drawn to more black and white projects. I like the pattern you picked out, and would definitely just go for it. Black and white is incredibly versatile.

I like what other people have said about a bright shot of color for the binding, but if you want the piece to remain versatile, then stick with the black and white theme.
Okay I love this idea.  What a quick and fun quilt top!  I may steal this in the future! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Best Nail-Polish "Cocktails & Coconuts"
How To Fix Dry Mascara
Best Beauty Products For Under $15
Expert Shares Quick Fixes For Common Fashion Emergencies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...