A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meal Ideas for me and my kid?  (Read 2213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JMLinWNY
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008 09:16:00 AM »

Pastas with frozen veggies & a little olive oil topped wiht a sprinkle of cheese.

homemade chicken soup. keep it simple chicken simmered in a can of broth with carrots. then add a bag of frozen peas or corn.   very tasty with toasted whole wheat bread  or a grilled cheese.

tacos? use mix up diced checken pirces with chili powder, garlic powder & a little pepper, brown it up then stuff soft tortillas with meat & shredded leuttuce & diced tomaotes or salsa.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008 09:35:50 AM »

today I cut up chicken breast in bite sized pieces then did the whole shake and bake thing (I add dry ranch mix before I shake it tho)  was ready in less than 30 minutes and we had some steamed broccolli with lemon peper sprinkled on it.  really good that way.  my kids love it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
yorkshirelamb
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008 11:47:03 AM »

I love casseroles. One of my favorite healthy ones is Aztec casserole. You mix up cans of salsa, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans and layer it in a baking dish with corn tortillas and shredded cheese. I've had it with tofu and with ground beef added. It's very refreshing and light with all the veggies, and using canned makes it easier to get. With mild salsa it's not at all spicy, just very tomatoey and what kid wouldn't love the gooey cheese layers?

I also like to make roast chicken using chicken leg quarters, which are really cheap, and just putting them on top of a bed of chopped potatoes and carrots, everything drizzled in olive oil. Very simple, and I roast the extra pieces at the same time to use the chicken in sandwiches, soups, tacos, etc the rest of the week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008 02:31:42 PM »

I happen to be making up a menu right now.  I was looking for some new menu ideas because I tend to just cook the same things over and over, with the occasional new recipe about once a week.  I find that my kids don't mind a little repetition of the things they love.  I am fortunate that my daughter loves veggies, and I live in California where produce is fresh and plentiful year-round.
Anyway, What I've been doing lately is making up a menu Saturday morning or Friday night and shopping for the week on the weekend.  I don't eat meat, but most of these dinners could have meat added to them easily enough.

Fairly typical week's menu:

Sat -  breakfast for dinner:  pancakes with fruit, frozen and thawed with bit of sugar and lemon juice, or scrambled eggs and salsa with toast, etc.

Sun - Tuna casserole and green beans

Mon-  Burritos enchilada style, I crate carrots and zucchini and saute them with onions, mix it with tofu, beans and cheese then put them on a oven-proof plate, cover them in enchilada sauce and broil them for a few minutes.

Tue-  Spaghetti and salad

Wed - Rice and stir-fried carrots, broccoli and onion with soy-sauce and grated cheddar in pita bread  (sounds funny, tastes great and kids love it.)

Thurs-    Bow-tie pasta with broccoli, a few tablespoons of half and half and about 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan. 

Fri- pizza (once a month)

I'd like to see a menu thread here - or maybe we have one already?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008 04:32:25 PM »

Get a rice cooker and some chicken.

Make 2c of rice (you'd be surprised at how far that goes - I make 3 for a family of 5!) and 3 boneless skinless breats ( I use the bagged frozen ones since they're thinner) slice the breasts into thin strips, drop in the steamer basket ( or brown in a pan) cook the rice with some soy sauce and some garlic and a touch of sesame oil.

Add some corn to the rice if you want ( I cook the corn seperately right now) and you have a very good meal. Plus, the rice is yummy the next day.

I make this at least once a week, sometimes changing it to fried rice (just adding a couple eggs and pan frying) You eat less meat with it (which is also a good money saver) and rice is very good for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
south2nd
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008 04:58:49 PM »

I second the crockpot idea. I use mine at least 3 times a week. A great book is "COok once, Eat Twice: recipes for your crockpot." You cook one meal in the pot, and then there is a recipe to convert the leftovers the next day.

Quesadillas are incredibly easy, and you can make them healthy by using whole grain ones, and using some healthy ingredients like roasted peppers and canned lowfat refried beans.

I'm in grad school and work full time. What I usually go is make one big meat dish on the weekends, a roast chicken or a pot roast, and then the rest of the week I make salads, sandwiches, wraps and simple stirfrys. I also buy a ton of chicken breasts or sliced flank steak when it's on sale, and put an individual serving in a freezer bag with marinade (homemade or not) and frreeze the excess. Then I can just toss it into a pan with some frozen or fresh veggies when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008 10:16:16 PM »

Here are some of the things that the hubby and I eat a lot of:
- turkey burgers (leaner than beef)
- broccoli beef (really easy and super yummy)
- enchiladas
- chili
- lentil soup with lots of veggies and maybe some sausage
- fried rice (one of my favorites from when I was a kid)
- homemade mac and cheese (you can add peas and to get more veggies)
- homemade pizza

If I'm making something that I know the hubby and I will like, and it freezes well, I'll make twice as much as I normally would and freeze the leftovers.  Then I have quick, healthy meals ready to heat up and eat.  I've been doing it with chili, soups, dumplings and shredded chicken so far, but it could work with a lot of different things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gretchilou
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008 02:16:20 PM »

All such great ideas!  Here's what we do to try and stay on the healthy AND easy side of things. 
I use a lot of the turkey products...ground turkey, meatballs, sausages (hot and sweet), italian seasoned.  and make pasta dishes, lasagna, tacos, soups ...
I usually pick out whatever veggies that are in season AND on sale and incorporate them somehow.  I  add black beans and corn to ground turkey and lots of seasonings to make tacos.  I use the crockpot ALOT for convenience.  The quickest two recipes I have are super simple...put chicken breasts (or beef)in the crockpot and cover with jarred salsa verde..cook for several hours on low or about 4 hours on high...the meat will be super juicy and I tear it up and either put it on a taco salad or make burritos or tacos.  The other is bbq sandwiches ..simply put your chicken breasts or beef cut in the crockpot and cover with your favorite bbq sauce...cook throughout the day and put on hoagie rolls for dinner.  I usually add a simple veggie with either.  Hope these are helpful ideas..
ooh, one more...not the healthiest but not bad.  We buy the fresh-baked french loaf from the bakery, cut in half ...add spaghetti sauce (or any pasta sauce) then cover in cheese and veggies and anything else you want...put in oven for about 10 minutes when cheese is melted.  We usually have this with a simple salad on "pizza fridays"  ..my 2 yo helps make t his one and it's fun...and did I say easy?!!  cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shootingstar
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008 03:03:01 PM »

I definetly second the  "cook once, eat twice" attitude (althoughI don't have the book Cheesy)  One thing I do that I didn't see mentioned is nachos, I do mine with ground beef, taco seasoning, and black beans, and top it with some sour cream, salsa, lettuce and chopped tomatoes...  Little ones love being able to eat chips for dinner.  I've got a 2-page list of the meals I cook (not the recipes, just the names), as my family seems to get burnt out on things fairly quickly.  Some are more labor intensive than others, but I'll pm you with the easier ones if you's like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
Charley1980
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008 01:37:50 AM »

A great way to get kids to eat more differen foods is to involve them with the cooking/assembling of it. Taco's, fajita's, pizza's are all good for this

Fish is really good instead of meat in fajitas. I use white fish and salmon, sprinkle with the fajita spices and lightly fry in a spray of olive oil and add cooked onions and peppers as a minimum, but also sometimes add ribbons of carrot and courhettes and small pieces of broccoli and baby corn. 
If your son finds usual fajita mix too spicy you can make your own version - 1 tablespoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon onion/garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano.

A really good sauce I make for pasta is great for kids cos it 'hides' veggies!: Wink
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 large red pepper chopped finely
4 carrots peeled and chopped finely or grated
1 parsnip peeled and chopped finely or grated
1 onion peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 courgettes chopped
3 sticks celery chopped
1 head broccoli chopped (include stalk)
vege stock (1 tomato can full)
lightly fry the onion,celery, garlic and pepper until softened. add the carrot and parsnip and fry for a couple more minutes before adding the courgette and broccoli.Fry for 1 more minute and add the tomatoes. Fill one of the tomato cans with vege stock (from a cube) and add this.Stir everything and simmer for about 20 mins. You can also add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree when you add the stock, but this is optional.
After 20 minutes, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend the sauce in the blender until smooth.

Use as a sauce for pasta, mix into chilli con carne, use with mince for shepherds pie, use in burritos(with some spices added).Mix with cooked chicken and serve in a baked potato topped with a little cheese. Can be kept in the fridge for a few days and frozen too.

If you prefer a chunky sauce, don't bother blending-this is just to hide the vegetables from picky eaters!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Shirt Out of Paper
How to Make a Stitch
How to Make the Ribstitch
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...