A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I insane/ can this be done by a newbie??  (Read 1981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nuno930
« on: September 16, 2008 10:06:07 AM »

OK I know how to sew... I have done a *few* projects that were fairly mediocre (PJ pants, a few McCalls Sew Easy tops...) on the skill scale. Even so, I have decided on my Halloween costume and I found 2 patterns that I like to suit my needs

http://www.butterick.com/item/B4890.htm??tab=costumes&page=2

Or:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5444.htm??tab=costumes&page=2

How hard exactly are these? Which would be better to give a whirl on?  Or... should I just look at buying a cheesy one at the costume shop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008 10:11:40 AM »

I bet they won't be too hard.  Smiley  Just be sure to give yourself enough time.  Don't chicken out and buy a cheesy one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuno930
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008 10:41:29 AM »

Any opinion on which would be an easier choice??  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christiebelle
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008 11:31:11 AM »

I am sick enough to admit I have made both of these  Grin

the butterick one, imho, was the easier of the two, also simplicity has one in a similar vein that is much easier than either of these.

I swear they were not all for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shaneener
Home-Mc-Skillet

I love the Office. End of story.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008 12:56:51 PM »

The first one seems easier. I think the puffy sleeves would be difficult, as well as everything else.

Good for you, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the Office.
I write FanFiction.
I have two dogs.
I'm blonde.
Nuno930
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008 02:29:06 PM »

the butterick one, imho, was the easier of the two, also simplicity has one in a similar vein that is much easier than either of these.

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3782

or

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3809

was it either of those? I look at Simplicity and those were the only Renaissance era one I spied. (coulda missed one though)  Or do you happen to remember what one it was?  I am not picky right now! I am just going for an Anne Boleyn look dress! So nearly any Ren style dress that would be easier I am interested in!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008 02:34:21 PM »

IMHO, the fanciness is mostly the trims added afterwards, the basic shapes are merely a LOT of fabric, but quite easy to sew.

Remember, these patterns are based on modern fits, and can tend to be baggy at waist and bust.  Make a fitted muslin (not too tight, though!), which you can use as a lining, if you are concerned with authenticity.

Agree, take your time, read the directions over until you are CERTAIN you understand it, and remember, it's a costume for Halloween.  It will be stunning to the others who see the outside only, LOL!

And PLEASE share pix!  We all love that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
turtletrbl
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008 02:35:24 PM »

I looked at the patterns and at the Simplicity 4055, which I think would be the easiest of the 3 to make.  In my experience, Simplicity has the most forgiving fit/instructions for beginners.  Since you have 6 weeks, I would take into account your time and patience because even for an experienced sewist, a gown like this can take around 15 hours to finish.  The patterns assume you WILL line the garment and whether or not you have put in a zipper before may be a consideration as well.  Puffy sleeves are actually easier than fitted sleeves for me because it's ok if they wrinkle a bit where fitted sleeves look bad if they show any mistakes.  

Personally, I'd pick an easier pattern and something I could have more fun with but to each their own!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christiebelle
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008 05:04:28 PM »

or

was it either of those? I look at Simplicity and those were the only Renaissance era one I spied. (coulda missed one though)  Or do you happen to remember what one it was?  I am not picky right now! I am just going for an Anne Boleyn look dress! So nearly any Ren style dress that would be easier I am interested in!! 

dang it it wasnt either of those! it was about ten years ago now so they could have (and most likely have) changed the look of some of their patterns by now.
sorry, if i were a beginner though, just by looking at them, they look at about the same level, the first one looks like it has boning which takes patience, and the second one looks like it has grommets which takes patience, six of one, half dozen of another, I might go with the butterick given those two options  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themagnificentjess
bitch extraordinare

eccentric - a.k.a. crazy in a fun way

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008 08:05:36 PM »

or

the first two weren't english renaissance, the first is definitely regency era (think count of monte cristo) and the second is a VERY inaccurate italian ren dress atleast a half century prior to queen anne.

and easy easy pattern for a close to accurate look is mcalls 3282, it's tudor era
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008 08:07:49 PM by themagnificentjess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only abstinence you should teach.. is to abstain from voting for Sarah Palin.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
Learn about The Art of Music
Learn about the Orchestra
Learn about Theater
Learn about Motion Picture Animation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...