A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me come up with jewelry/crafting ideas for "Fantasy Film"  (Read 1860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2008 09:11:21 AM »

I just bought a whole bunch of Fantasy Film (same as Dippity-Glas, Formafilm, Treasure Trove, etc.) - that liquid resin where you dip crafting wire into it and it dries into a thin glass-like film.  They'd stopped selling it in the US a long time ago (like the last time I used it was over 15 years ago), and I finally located a dealer in Ireland, but I bought so much that I'm afraid it'll go dry before I use it all.  Back in the '70s and '80s it was mainly used for tacky fake flowers, but I'd really like to make some neat ornaments and jewelry and anything else cool-looking out of it.  Does anyone have any good ideas?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
hello color!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 05:38:15 PM »

Can you post pictures of what you've made? I'm not quite sure what it is. However, it sounds similar to tool dip, in which case, check this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 12:54:12 PM »

oh my gosh, i used to love that stuff. we used to use it all the time when i was a little girl, and quite frankly, if you used it well, the flowers looked like stained glass. there were some artists who actually made gorgeous art out of that stuff.  i think that's what you're trying to do.  i wish i could remember their names...i'm 50, and they were probably in their 50's when i was a kid of 10 or 12 when i was using this for its original intent..as a toy.  have you, probably, googled around to see if you can find them?

but, you probably could still make the flower petal shapes, and then wire them at the top and bottom to make and ornament, so that it does have the open, airy glass look, and then decorate the top and bottom, where it's wrapped, with something ...beads, holly, etc.

you could make icicle type ornies... take a long piece of wire.  fold it in half and twist it together at the top. then open it up about an inch wide or so, in the shape of a "carrot".  then give it a twist, and dip it.

hmmm...what else???

as far as jewelry, it might be too fragile.  the "tool dip" (which is really, really toxic) mentioned above, is much stronger, and thicker...much more opaque and can stand up to wear.  the plasticine that was actually used is the stuff that covers the white wire shelves in our closets, but isn't at all what you have, as you already know.

fjd.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 12:56:25 PM by funkyjunkdesigns » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
ChasKitty
Craft Whore

Chastity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008 11:55:28 PM »

Is this the stuff you are talking about?
http://www.artglitter.com/retail/filmfiber.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:Chastity
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kid-Friendly Bird Mobile
How to Make Seed Bombs
How to Make a Party Piñata
How to Upcycle a Plastic Bottle Into a Bumblebee
How to Make a Jet Zeppelin from a Balloon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...