A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If I'm a few yards short...  (Read 427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 15, 2008 03:59:37 PM »

Okay, my question is, if I'm short a few yards (meaning, I have 414 yards and the pattern asks for approximately 434 yards)... how can I conserve some yarn so that I have enough to finish the pattern?  Would using needles one size larger, be of any use?

It's possible that I can maybe shorten the pattern a little, and have it still fit... but I just want to know in advance, in case shortening it only amounts to an extra 10 ish yards, right?

Anywho, if anyone can help me out a bit with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008 04:55:09 PM »

It depends on what you're planning to make.  If the extra yardage is used fore seaming, exact match is not as critical for seams that will end up hidden, for example.

Larger needles doesn't necessarily mean less yardage. 

The real way to tell how much you use is by working a swatch and calculating how much you use for x amount of fabric.  (I know there are some older posts with tips on calculating yardage use. Try a search)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 05:45:14 PM »

Leave tails only long enough to weave the ends in and plan on using a similar yarn for seaming.  You can also squeeze a bit out if you convert a seamed sweater into a seamless one.

If there are edge treatments, ribbing for instance, that appears in more than one place (bottom hem, sleeve hems, neck edge, button band) do them last. By doing them last you can skimp a few rows here and there or do them in a coordinating color (also handy if you have one skein that's a different dyelot and slightly different from the others). Even if the sweater is knit bottom up in pieces starting with the ribbing you can still do it last, just use a provisional cast on and start with the stitch count you have after the ribbing is complete . So if it says cast on 100sts, do the ribbing, and then increase 20sts just cast on 120sts. When you come back later to do the ribbing just decrease to 100sts before you start the ribbing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008 06:12:41 PM »

Wow, that definitely gives me some great ideas!  I'm hoping I can make at least some of those make sense and work with the pattern.  Unfortunately, I'm not knitting a sweater, and there are no ribbed areas.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTnamaste.html

That's the pattern I'm working with.

It says the diameter is 5 inches, when finished.  I measured my mat, when it's rolled up, and the diameter is only about 4 inches.  I'm thinking I may be able to take out ten stitches (because of the cable pattern), so that the bag is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter?  But I can't decide if it would make the bag more difficult to get my mat into.

I also discovered that my mat is only 24 inches long, and the pattern's finished dimensions state that the bag is 30 inches long.  So I could potentially make mine 6 inches shorter than the pattern.

Hopefully this works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008 06:52:05 PM »

Hmm, well you could make it seamless, but in this case I don't think it will save much and you can just seam with another yarn. Knitting does stretch so you could make it smaller but it might be a bit like pulling a sock on your mat, lots of wiggling and stretching. I think you can make it just by making the bag shorter. At least with this pattern you can just keep knitting until you have just enough yarn left for about 8 rows then skip to the drawstring rows. Alternately, make the bottom a different color and work the last 14 rows or so (a band with the draw string going through it) in the same color, maybe add a stripe or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 07:00:35 PM »

I like the way you think!   Wink

Thanks so much for the help.  I think I'll just go for it... and once I'm half way through, if it looks like I won't have enough for the 24 inch length, then I'll add some nifty striping or something.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008 08:38:56 PM »

I don't think you want to cut down on the stitch number, I've made bags that were too difficult to put the mat in to. Sometimes they just don't roll down as tight as other times. You could knit with a larger needle, then cut down your sts, as long as your gauge and less sts will get you the right diameter. But probably you can cut down a couple inches in the 27" length, and work only 3-4 rows after the row with the eyelets instead of 6.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 08:39:48 PM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Mirror-Free Makeup Touch-Ups
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial for a Perfect Natural Look
Skin Authority Product Review
The Secret To A Piecey Pixie Hairstyle
Beauty Makeup Box Reviews
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...