A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered Grafitti-First in a series  (Read 1893 times)
Tags for this thread: graffiti  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008 08:17:28 AM »

Good job- I love this idea. I satarted a really old school set osrt of like this.  Pieces from the film, Style Wars. Have you ever tried "Saral" brand transfer paper?  They sell it at craft stores and art stores.  Personally I really like it because it's wax and grease free, so it won't set, even if you use a hot iron over it. Depending on the surface you can literally erase it or use just a slightly damp cloth it get it off.  Or take it off by rubbing other fabric against. You can also paint over it with out it skipping(showing through).  They make super bright colors- awesome for dark stuff.  Its cheap too- always a plus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
rustyfern

THIMBLES ARE FOR PUSSIES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008 03:34:12 PM »

damn that's kool! it's so thick! i've been thinking about doin a banksy piece in embroidery. can't wait to see more Smiley!

Banksy in on my list for sure. I've seen it done in cross stitch, but I like it would be interesting to do in embroidery. We should both try a Banksy and see how they turn out!

yes! i am totally down! i'll be going to a tattoo convention this weekend where my partner will be working. maybe 2 pass the time in the booth i'll start working on the banksy piece. shall i let you know which one i choose 2 do or keep it a surprise? -rustyfern
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009 05:52:51 PM »

i have been looking at all your graffiti embroideries.  i like the idea very much (and the execution).  but i wanted to mention that i am pretty sure tyvek is water-proof or at least water-resistant (test on other item to make sure) and i bet you COULD get that yellow paper off by water if i am right.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009 05:53:22 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009 06:31:46 PM »

i have been looking at all your graffiti embroideries.  i like the idea very much (and the execution).  but i wanted to mention that i am pretty sure tyvek is water-proof or at least water-resistant (test on other item to make sure) and i bet you COULD get that yellow paper off by water if i am right.
You know what? That would make total sense. I'll grab a tyvek from work and test it; I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the heads up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009 07:02:10 PM »

(i think it's actually plastic.  cos they used to make rainjackets out of it in the 80s when it was first invented.  i remember i wanted one cos it had a world map on it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
zanna2332
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009 08:19:59 PM »

This is AMAZING!!!!!!
I love Graffiti work, I would never have though it could be done with needle and thread!!!!!
I cant wait to see the rest of the series!
Awesome! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zanna
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --  Mahatma Gandhi
benjibot
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009 10:34:51 PM »

This is quite excellent. I love to see the convergence of disparate artistic (with some room for controversy on both sides) methods. There's a great visual irony in taking something contemporary and modern and rendering it in an antiquated format. Stitching it onto a mailing envelope was a nice touch to tie it back to graffiti. Those hand drawn mailing label stickers from the post office, while probably scoffed at by true graffiti artists, are certainly part of the scene.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy
Fair Rosamund
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009 02:51:14 AM »

Wow these are brilliant ! Was it difficult working on the envelope paper? Could you still stretch it on a hoop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009 08:34:40 AM »

Wow these are brilliant ! Was it difficult working on the envelope paper? Could you still stretch it on a hoop?
It stretched really nicely actually! It wasn'nt too different to work on than fabric, cuz it kind of is fabric. Youshould try it sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
fiberartsy

That rug really tied the room together.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009 01:13:41 PM »

I love Doze Green and I love your interpretation!!  This is fantastic! and I like that you used a Fedex envelope---I've always thought they had a great texture--kinda what is this made out of?  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Olivia
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Daniela
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Carly
How to Makeover Your Work Wardrobe
Pulling Off a Glamorous Look
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...