This is my FIRST COMPLETED PROJECT (YAY!).. So yeah, Iím pretty excited I actually got this done so there are a ton of pictures and a huge story ahead.
Iíve obviously never done this before, so if the pictures are too big or anything needs changing in my post please let me know.
Anyway, I decided it was time for a new hoodie, but seeing as Iím incredibly poor at the moment I decided it would be in my best interests to buy some cheap material and do it myself. I headed off to the fabric shop not knowing what to get, then I stumbled across this gorgeous unicorn and rainbow fabric.
I decided not to get it as it was too expensive (£8 per meter).. Carried on walking around the shop and found some polka dot fabric, then as I made my way to the counter I realised I didnít want the polka dot fabric and couldnít leave the shop without the unicorn fabric.
So I ended up buying;
2 meters of unicorn fabric
2 meters of white/cream fleece
a long white zipper (which I later found was a reversible one)
Ĺ meter of white ribbing/cuffing (whatever itĎs called)
a box of pins (thatís how new I am to this)
I ended up spending £30.. So much for my cheap hoodie
So anyway, I went home and started to plan it out.. I put an old hoodie on the floor and traced around the pieces on to tracing paper to figure out how it all went together and what changes I needed to make etc..
I cut out 2 sets of tracing paper pieces.. One set I left to the side, the other I sellotaped together and put on to see if it fit. It ended up looking a bit boxy as it was paper but I knew it would fit so I carried on cutting out the fabric. I changed the shape of the hood as I didnít like the 2 piece flat hood (if you know what I mean). I had to make 3 different paper hoods to find one I actually liked.
ANYWAY.. One day as I was sorting out pieces for the hoodie, it started raining (living in London and all).. And it suddenly clicked that THE HOODIE WOULDNíT BE WATERPROOF.
So the next day I went to Argos and bought a £4.99 plain shower curtain.. CUT OUT THOSE PIECES.. Then I sewed all of those pieces together then ran it under the tap in the bathroom and it was indeed waterproof..
So I sewed every layer, the unicorn layer, the shower curtain layer and the fleece layer.. Then fixed them all together..
And the back..
A big thank you to my lovely brother Lloyd for putting his reputation at risk and modelling for me!
Anyway, going back to the reversible zip business.. COMPLETELY UNINTENTIONAL, but the hoodie would also be reversible had I not done this;
I got so stuck on how to attach the zip I ended up messing it up at the bottom but Iím not going to wear it that way so it kinda doesnít matter.
But it would have looked like this;
This was a couple of days after the making (hence the loss of LloydĎs hair and CLOTHES!.. Tut tut)
I made him put a t-shirt on for this one so his niplets werenít on display.
The only sort of visible stitching is on the hood which was the last bit I sewed up,
SOOOOO.. Iím really pleased with how this turned out.. The sleeves look a little short but they fit me fine so Iím not fussed about the pictures. Any comments/criticism/correction of terminology would be wonderful