A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: unicorn & rainbow hoodie! (lots of pics)  (Read 8671 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chocolatebutton
« on: September 15, 2008 08:13:03 AM »

This is my FIRST COMPLETED PROJECT (YAY!).. So yeah, Iím pretty excited I actually got this done so there are a ton of pictures and a huge story ahead.
Iíve obviously never done this before, so if the pictures are too big or anything needs changing in my post please let me know.

Anyway, I decided it was time for a new hoodie, but seeing as Iím incredibly poor at the moment I decided it would be in my best interests to buy some cheap material and do it myself. I headed off to the fabric shop not knowing what to get, then I stumbled across this gorgeous unicorn and rainbow fabric.

I decided not to get it as it was too expensive (£8 per meter).. Carried on walking around the shop and found some polka dot fabric, then as I made my way to the counter I realised I didnít want the polka dot fabric and couldnít leave the shop without the unicorn fabric.
So I ended up buying;
2 meters of unicorn fabric
2 meters of white/cream fleece
a long white zipper (which I later found was a reversible one)
Ĺ meter of white ribbing/cuffing (whatever itĎs called)
a box of pins (thatís how new I am to this)

I ended up spending £30.. So much for my cheap hoodie  Angry.

So anyway, I went home and started to plan it out.. I put an old hoodie on the floor and traced around the pieces on to tracing paper to figure out how it all went together and what changes I needed to make etc..
I cut out 2 sets of tracing paper pieces.. One set I left to the side, the other I sellotaped together and put on to see if it fit. It ended up looking a bit boxy as it was paper but I knew it would fit so I carried on cutting out the fabric. I changed the shape of the hood as I didnít like the 2 piece flat hood (if you know what I mean). I had to make 3 different paper hoods to find one I actually liked.

ANYWAY.. One day as I was sorting out pieces for the hoodie, it started raining (living in London and all).. And it suddenly clicked that THE HOODIE WOULDNíT BE WATERPROOF.
So the next day I went to Argos and bought a £4.99 plain shower curtain.. CUT OUT THOSE PIECES.. Then I sewed all of those pieces together then ran it under the tap in the bathroom and it was indeed waterproof..

So I sewed every layer, the unicorn layer, the shower curtain layer and the fleece layer.. Then fixed them all together..

And Voila..

And the back..

A big thank you to my lovely brother Lloyd for putting his reputation at risk and modelling for me!  Cheesy

Anyway, going back to the reversible zip business.. COMPLETELY UNINTENTIONAL, but the hoodie would also be reversible had I not done this;

I got so stuck on how to attach the zip I ended up messing it up at the bottom but Iím not going to wear it that way so it kinda doesnít matter.
But it would have looked like this;

This was a couple of days after the making (hence the loss of LloydĎs hair and CLOTHES!.. Tut tut)

I made him put a t-shirt on for this one so his niplets werenít on display.

The only sort of visible stitching is on the hood which was the last bit I sewed up,

SOOOOO.. Iím really pleased with how this turned out.. The sleeves look a little short but they fit me fine so Iím not fussed about the pictures. Any comments/criticism/correction of terminology would be wonderful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Andi.Devine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008 08:20:09 AM »

you did a hella awesome job!
this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.   -Bokonon
TwilightFirefly
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 08:37:29 AM »

Niiiiiice! Brilliant to put the shower curtain layer in there to keep yourself dry- love it! Great job. Makes me want to go make a hoodie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cursive_queen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008 09:01:43 AM »

Great job!  I like it inside out too, you could fiddle with the bottom by the zipper to cover up or modify the part you don't like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elloirs
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008 09:21:22 AM »

i LOVE this, its so cute! that shower curtain/waterproofing idea is genius too, im always annoyed when i go out and get soaked cos hoodies arent waterproof (stupid british weather Tongue), i may quite possibly try that in future. love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astolante
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 09:25:38 AM »

That material is amazing! I just buy cool stuff and make ever more handbags - I'm still scared of tackling a hoodie in case I cock it up completely! Great idea making it totally reversible - your seams are so neat!

... I think your brother should wear the hoodie, personally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008 09:36:54 AM »

Oh how very nice Smiley. And kudos to your brother for modeling for you!

I wish I had the courage to try a hoodie... well, after I finish my skirt (ahem, still in (LITERALLY) 46 pieces in my closet...) I may try something a bit more... out there. Smiley

Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
littlemuffler
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008 10:42:48 AM »

Really REALLY great work! I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlamagne
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008 10:50:23 AM »

really really wonderful, i actually was quite shocked when i read what you wrote and scrolled down to see a man there standing  in that fabric..i scrolled up and down a couple times and read what was under the pic... beautiful hoodie...cute model!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008 10:51:03 AM by charlamagne » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008 11:04:49 AM »

This is bloody brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot On HuffPost Books
Amy McNamara Shares Lovely, Dark and Deep
The Self Defeating Myths of Change
The Many Moods of Cheat
Peter Ames Carlin on His New Bruce Springsteen Biography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...