A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bridesmaids Quilts!!  (Read 7999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 15, 2008 06:12:45 AM »

I just got  married, a month ago today! Hooray! And last May, I was trying to figure out presents for my bridesmaids.  My mom, fiance and I had been working away on ALOT of DIY projects for wedding and I had just finished doing the calligraphy on all of the addresses and had mailed out the invites... and had nothing to do (at the time).

I was wandering around Joann's, when they were having one of their "Calico" Quilt sales (like 40% off a yard), and I thought, "Wow... Wouldn't it be cool if I could make a Quilt for each bridesmaid??"  So, having completed 3 quilts on my own, I decided that this task was definitely possible. (ha. ha.. ha.)

I  found a book (which was ALSO on sale, gotta love Joann's).. It was Eleanor Burn's "Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin".  I peaked through it, saw how "assembly line" the process was, and was sold.  I bought enough fabric for 5 different quilts, for a total of 35 DIFFERENT bolts of fabric riding around in my cart... (I experienced one RUDE cutting lady, but that's a different  post).  ANYWAYS... after a couple of weekends being chained to my sewing machine, numerous needles and tears of frustration... One trip to my grandma's where we spent the whole weekend tying the quilts... I finished them..  Grin  Which makes me VERY happy, cause I have a hard time finishing projects (looks at the three quilt tops stashed in a tote).

ANYWAYS! In ALL their glory!!

Each bridesmaid had a quilt that either matched a part of their house and/or their personality. 

This is the "Pink" quilt.  This bridesmaid is a beauty pageant runner-up and is OBSESSED with pink.. Thus, a pink one.  However, the girl sitting next to her is very traditional and has her living room done in earth tones.   Cheesy

I did extra long twins for the size, so they would fit the boyfriends too.  Andie (who is 5'11) LOVED the fact that she finally had a blanket that went over her head.

Yeah! It smells yummy!

Thanks for letting me share!  I am still tickled with myself that I was able to get this accomplished!! 

EDIT:  Overall cost for each quilt.. Around $70. Seriously.  I tracked this for my "budget".  I waited and WAITED for sales on batting, etc.  Bought bolts of nice fabric in the Clearance sections at different fabric stores for my backing.  Used thread that was on sale, etc.    $70 may seem like a lot of money for the gifts, but only 2 of the 5 lived within 300 Miles of the wedding... three of them lived out of state and had to either fly/drive 10+ hours just to get there.  (Everyone moved away when they graduated last summer)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
Lady Hope
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008 06:22:00 AM »

These are sooo nice! and it really shows how much you care about your friends! They look super happy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Craftster Friends,
Three years ago, I was much younger and dumber and I flaked on a few swaps. I am back and I promise to make it up to everyone I hurt. I had been flaked on a couple of times, and I know how cra**y it feels. I am really sorry.
Stefani
narcissus
Make things happen; provoke them.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008 06:28:20 AM »

Such a sweet gift! I can't believe you made 5 quilts among all the other wedding preparation --  that is amazing.

PS - Congratulations on your marriage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the ground where I want to live, I see these brand new faces I want to wear.
wendyloo
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008 06:29:11 AM »

You have some seriously lucky bridesmaids!! The earth tone one is my favorite, but they are all great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuno930
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008 06:39:39 AM »

Wow, what an amazing gift. Not just the actual quits, which are a-maz-ing! But the fact that you took the time to figure out each distinct personality and reflect that in each one is just soooo beautiful.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 06:48:31 AM »

What an amazing undertaking AND the quilts look fantastic!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
missmoppet
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008 06:54:04 AM »

Ive gots to say that those are some of the BEST bridesmaid gifts Ive ever seen.  (I always thought giving jewelry/necklaces was boring.)  Those quilts are so pretty and cozy looking! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008 06:56:24 AM »

Wow... That is amazingly beautiful! That is a wonderful heirloom... And all your bridesmaids will forever look at that quilt and remember you. That's a great idea! And if a little expensive, well... you (hopefully) only get married once! heh. Congrats, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
allthingspink
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008 07:00:43 AM »

That is seriously cool!  I was going to do the same, and start now... not even engaged yet, but still hopeful.  If we never get married, will still have very cool birthday or Christmas gift ready...

I think it is awesome that you matched the quilt to each personality or home.

Lucky bridesmaids!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If God really loved us, our saliva would taste like chocolate.
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008 07:13:56 AM »

that is just awesome!! I remember you saying something about this and its awesome you finished it! they are all just fabulous! I love the earthtones one the best Smiley they are lucky girls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Loose Flipped Out Curly Hairstyle Using Wide Straighteners
How to Make an Easy Fishtail Braid or Plait
Hair Care Secrets Tips and Products
How to Backcomb or Tease Your Hair
How to Style your Side Bangs or Fringe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...