A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not 1, Not 2, but 3 Yards to Decorate: House Haunt 2008  (Read 1626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrentSketch
« on: September 15, 2008 06:04:01 AM »

Progress Updates linked under respective yard header.

I've worked my yard for years with bizarre themes and massive scale projects. Now I have 2 other yards to deal with: my brother's and my grandmother's. Each will have a radically different theme and approach.

I'm going with an undersea theme for my yard, with massive critters and some new tricks I haven't tried before.

For my brother's yard, since he now lives in the sticks and actually has to deal with a bear that constantly comes into his yard (codename: Baloo), there will be a reverse hunting theme, with traps gone wrong and a bear (more Yogi in style than National Geographic) literally pulling the strings.

Hunter Caught in Own Trap*NEW

Finally, for my grandmother's yard, it's more of a traditional Halloween feel based off of a greeting card she enjoys:

She runs a window art business and gets all her inspiration from a massive collection of greeting cards, and this one jumped out as a possible collaborative effort. I get to do my wire and light work, while she get to put her stamp on the paint element.

Pumpkin Patch Wire Work & First Covered Pumpkin
Pumpkin Patch Pre-Preservation, Unlit, w/Vines
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008 06:52:01 AM by TrentSketch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008 06:20:25 PM »

started with recycled wire:

molded to rough pumpkin shape:

added handle:

repeated twice for complete set:

Almost done with one of the three pumpkins for the patch. Used tissue paper with watered down glue to layer, watered down paint to add depth. Still need a few more layers to better disguise the wire underneath. The tissue paper should still be translucent enough to glow when a light is placed underneath.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 04:15:50 PM by TrentSketch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008 09:44:12 AM »

Hi! I don't want to come off as discouraging, but I've papier mached over chicken wire before, and despite the number of layers of paper you put on, the wires underneath never really disappear.  The paper shrinks when it dries, so it all kinda tightens around the armature, showing the little bumps.  Plus, when you light it up from the inside, the wires will all show anyway (being opaque) - so I say just go with that look. I think it looks awesome and I can't wait to see it in place with all the lights lit up.  Did you use orange and green coloured tissue paper?  I think that's a small stroke of genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
TrentSketch
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008 11:07:56 AM »

Yes, it is orange and green tissue paper. The bright colors were the perfect match for my grandmother's art style. I pretty much figured the wire would show through, but I can make it seem intentional by being consistent with the other pieces. I did put a few layers of the paper underneath to help diffuse the light around the wires so it might not be as obvious.

The big pumpkin pictured wound up using $2 in tissue paper (20 sheets) to get to the point where the shape, but not the color, of the wire was sticking through. Once I cover the other two (today and tomorrow), I'm connecting them with a fabric vine covered in $3's worth of English Ivy from the craft store. Since there are no external outlets at the house (a big deal since a big part of my style is working with light), I'm placing flashlights underneath them for the light.  In total, it will probably be maybe $10-12 for the pumpkins. I'm also going to seal them so that they can be used more than once. Everything for her yard is going to be small enough to house in the attic.

This year is all about trying new techniques. About the only thing not being tossed in this year is full on automation, solely because I'm most likely going to have major problems with the new lighting tricks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008 04:08:12 PM »

My detail work is messy still. I have to patch a few holes still and it's not waterproofed yet. The glue is even still drying.

But I think this picture is a pretty good indication of what the pumpkin patch will look like during the day, unlit:

The vines are made with shiny green costume fabric, stitched in a tube, with plastic English Ivy stitched on to hold the stems in place. They are then glued to the pumpkins and held in place with pins until they dry solid.

I'm also going to start linking these progress photos on the top post of the thread to make it easier to navigate.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 04:16:21 PM by TrentSketch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008 10:53:04 AM »

Those are so neat.  Very good idea. i like them a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
TrentSketch
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008 06:50:31 AM »

I've been so sick that I haven't made anything new in a week. This project was the first I finished for my brother's yard. I just forgot to take pictures when I finished.

The gag is a bear has turned a trap on a hunter. So this poor soul is trapped in his own net. It will be hung from a tree and supported using monofilament attached to plant hangers in his yard.

Close-up

And a distant shot to better show the design

The character was purchased by my brother last year. I made the net.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sushi Rice
Making Sushi
Popcorn Orange Chicken Recipe
How to Make a Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Treat for Kids
How to Make French Toast Skewers
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...