A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Water bottle tote  (Read 3967 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2008 05:30:17 PM »

I debated a bit about where to put this... it's not really quilted, just patchwork, so I didn't go with the quilting subforum.  It's sewn, but it's also something used to carry something else.   Grin  So I chose this subforum.  If it should be moved, a mod is more than welcome to correct me.  Smiley

I love fabric.  I really do, and I collect it.  I have tons of scraps.  So when I was doing the rainbow swap recently, I thought "I surely have enough scraps to do something rainbow-y." 

So I made my partner this water bottle tote. 

I took scraps of each color and sewed them together randomly in strips.  I then cut each strip down to 1.5" wide and sewed all of them together in rainbow order.  I added a width of white on each end to make the colors "pop."

This is lined with simple white cotton.

The dragonfly fabric was fabric that I had purchased to make something for my partner's daughters, but then decided to use another fabric I already had.  So since the dragonflies were all different colors, I decided it would match this well enough.  Hence the dragonfly strap and the bottom of the tote.

This fits a Deer Park 16.9 oz water bottle with a little room to spare, but I made it to fit a store-bought reusable water bottle (with freezable core to keep your water cold!!), which I sent with it.

The strap is long enough to wear over the shoulder and across the body. 

And my partner loved it, by the way.

I was insanely proud of this and I rarely "show off" what I've made for swaps, so I wanted to do that with this item.  Smiley

I hope this inspires someone else to try one (and to drink more water - I know I need to)!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 05:33:51 PM by Jenicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 05:32:39 PM »

that is really pretty ! and so practical! i hate it when my water bottle sweats all over my stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 05:40:21 PM »

I am the proud owner of this water bottle tote, and I use it every single day. It's the best! I didn't even know that I desperately needed it! I never have enough hands to carry my drink, so I usually throw it in whatever bag I have with me at the time. A few weeks ago I ruined my cell phone because my drink poured all over it. Killed it dead. That won't happen with my water bottle tote! It is also really pretty and people comment on it, which gives me the chance to chat about crafts and stuff.

And, I must say that the patchwork is done very well. I have inspected it closely in admiration, and there are no ridges or puckers to be found. I have enjoyed looking at each scrap of fabric trying to imagine what the larger design is--I guess that's the fun of patchwork. My favorite pieces are the strawberries in the red stripe and a Care Bear hiding in the yellow stripe (it's Funshine Bear--I'm an expert at Care Bear identification).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 06:01:40 PM »

Hah!  I knew you'd find the CareBear... Smiley  I, too, am an expert. 

And your reply reads like an ad.  Wink  Thank you for commenting!  I am seriously considering making myself one (that water bottle was part of a 2-pack)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 06:05:34 PM »

Beautiful item and very functional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imafundork
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 06:17:05 PM »

Jeni, I hit *this rocks*, well, because it totally does!  Grin I LOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
lulubean
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008 06:26:39 PM »

Beautiful!  I could really use something like this too and yours is very inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
himtnc1
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008 06:59:24 PM »

I love this!!  I've had a SIGG water bottle for almost a year now, and though I truly do love it, and feel great about not buying all those plastic bottles, I don't like that it is rather awkward.   Can you do a mini-tute.  I want to make one.  Wouldn't this be great for Christmas gifts too?   A fabulous idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hamiltontankgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008 08:12:27 AM »

Also clicked "This Rocks", cause it totally does!!  Cool

I'll be making one for sure!!!  I also have a SIGG bottle and have an issue with it getting scratched... this would be perfect for it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...
mikesgal

Getting married December 20th!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008 08:24:21 AM »

I love water bottle tote things! It keeps them from making puddles on desks and what not when I take them to class. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...