A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't understand the binding ...:(  (Read 1703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2008 04:58:24 PM »

Hi I am kind of new to quilting, but when I started I started three at the same time.

Anyway, I don’t have any problems with putting the quilt top together, or making the “sandwich”, but I am dreading the impending binding of the quilts.

I am looking forward to getting the raw edges of the “sandwich” wrapped up, and I’m pretty sure I understand mitred corners. 

The thing that I am not sure about is the binding strip itself and its raw edges.

I have thought about sewing the binding strip into a tube, so that there are no raw edges, then folding this over the edge of the quilt and sewing, but that would be sewing through one layer of batting, the quilt bottom, the quilt top, plus four layers of binding material, which seems like an awful lot.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I love making the quilt tops, but it would be such a shame to go to all the effort of putting the quilt together and ruining it with awful binding.

Am I missing some neat little trick that everybody else knows about?

EDIT:  I am also planning on hand tying the quilt, as I don't have a walking foot.  So, the only part when I have to sew through batting is the binding.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 05:12:42 PM by Aliped » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 06:55:39 PM »

Hi Aliped!
   First off, this is what I watched when I did my first binding.  I did NOT use a walking foot when I did this, and I had a little "pucker" problem (the bottom moved more than the top did, etc)  however, this is ONE way to do binding and she does an OK job of explaining it.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85voeoj50Y

This is an old post called "binding suggestions" that has some fun advice on it from different quilters.  Hope these help!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187205.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
Aliped

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 07:54:28 PM »

Thanks!!!! Cheesy

I've watched quite a few binding tutorials on Youtube today, but I just got more confused - somehow I missed the one you recommended.  Now that I have watched it, it actually makes sense!!!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  I'm looking forward to binding! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Colorado Deb
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008 06:21:08 AM »

That was the video I was going to suggest! 
the only thing I do differently is that I hand stitch it down on the back, jsut looks so much nicer I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
Aliped

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008 04:14:19 PM »

That was the video I was going to suggest! 
the only thing I do differently is that I hand stitch it down on the back, jsut looks so much nicer I think.

I'm going to hand stitch one of the shorter sides first, to see if my fingers can stand it, if not then, I'll resort to stitching in the ditch.

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008 04:03:59 AM »

I liked that video a lot.  I will say that it does not work when you want a wide binding.... It gave me fits. The corner would not work... however next quilt I do will be with the skinnier binding...I'll just make sure I put a border around the quilt before I get to the binding to make it easier on myself..

Here's a tip from my mother.. after you cut your binding, iron the backside of the binding down to make a nice crease... then flip it over to the back side line up the binding right past the line that you sewed for the front side and pin it down and don't be stingy with the pins... flip it back over and stitch in the ditch.  I did that with my last one and did not have to hand stitch squat on the back side... let's not talk about the amount of hand stitching I had to do with the first one.  I also had the same fear of the binding.  My quilt sat unfinished for like two weeks until I worked up enough courage.  I will say that I wish I had thought of scoping out youtube for videos.  I just had a bunch of printed out tutorials that really did not help one iota.  Nothing beats seeing it in person I guess you could say!

If I can do it - you can do it!!  I have complete and total faith in you! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
beesquare
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008 09:39:06 AM »

Honestly, I never understood biding until I used the Denyse Schmidt method.  Now I use it every time.  This is the best thing I can find online to explain it...
http://www.quiltville.com/binding.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VintageGeek
Generation N

It's still cool to me, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008 02:07:44 PM »

I'm still terrified of binding.  The only quilts I've actually bound have been my tiny doll quilts, and even then I only bind the quilts I don't care much about.  I realize that's probably not very comforting, but I'm glad this thread is here.  It seems like one of those things that can't really be explained easily, so if there are relatable resources out there, I'm all for it.  Smiley  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outbackgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008 04:17:23 PM »

i followed the instructions i found here
http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf
to bind my first quilt.  i thought it worked well - neat and sharp corners.  very happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ofuzzball
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008 06:03:03 PM »

I make my quilts with round corners thus avoiding the mitred binding.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished is better than perfect.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Red Lipstick at the Beach
Turning the Camera Around for the Ultimate Surprise Makeover
How To Get Long Lasting Lip Color
Top 5 Travel Beauty Hacks From Miss America
OMG with RJS Teaches You How to Pick a Fragrance
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...