A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made my mom a room divider (now w/ mini tut!)  (Read 15290 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , screen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eelkje
« on: September 14, 2008 09:02:19 AM »

My mom finally realised i am no longer a pubescent little brat and i can actually make pretty decent stuff (which i have been able to do for a long long time but you know how mothers have that special way of thinking you're lovely but no way near to contributing to society in any constructive way, shape or form)!
Anyhow, she took a sabbatical and repainted her whole house, the livingroom darkred with deep purple and the kitchen limegreen w/ yellow. Yes. She's a pretty cool 60-year-old. A pretty cool 60-year-old in need of a pretty cool roomdivider. So i built her one, which was sort of hilarious, standing in the shed listening to my old cd's.

And this is what it looks like:

In fact i also made her some nice pull-up curtains which were a bit hellish due to very slippery fabric which also was expensive so no room for f-ups. Since my mother wasn't at home at the time i made the curtains i could sort of wing it so the distance between each pull-bit is exactly one LP-record wide (:

Here's the curtains and and the colours of the livingroom. I made two more curtains, same material but the other way around color-wise. They do look a bit wrinkly, i don't remember them looking that way but maybe i was a bit crappier at sewing at the time...

Thanks for listening, and comments are appreciated!
Have a happy day today!
eelkje
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 12:52:49 PM by eelkje » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
funkensteins
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008 09:10:30 AM »

I love the curtains! I have made a fefw of those myself, and it is so fun to hear the oohs and ahhs when showing them off! Smiley The divider looks great as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drrubina
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 09:19:04 AM »

hi your work is great . but please mention it that how did you get the frame.
Also please tell me about the curtain in the room are they hand mades. how can a person do this at home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rileyartie
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 10:07:17 AM »

This is awesome! I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eelkje
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008 10:17:07 AM »

Also please tell me about the curtain in the room are they hand mades. how can a person do this at home.

Hi, thanks for the compliment!
I made the frame myself, it's a pretty basic construction really.  a few lengths of wood and some plywood for the lower part.
The curtains are made by looking at other curtains that worked the same way and figuring out how to make some myself.
All you ever have to do is look, think and try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkensteins
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 10:33:57 AM »

Here are a couple of websites that may help. I kinda winged it on mine just like eelkje, but you can get the idea (Or follow exactly the instructions from these two sources:
http://www.terrelldesigns.com/howtomakeromanshades.htm
http://www.manytracks.com/Homesteading/winquilt.htm

OH and Eelkje! I am totally using an LP for my next ones! What a genious idea! I measured out every 15 inches with a tape measure... DUH!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 10:36:29 AM by funkensteins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

manduca
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008 10:39:35 AM »

Love it! Both pieces are so nicely done and look really beautiful.

Like drrubina, I'm curious about how you made the screen, so thanks for the reply. I'll have to look around for a tutorial - I'm the kind of person who likes to plan stuff out in gruesome detail before I start (which is unfortunate, because then it takes longer to start!).  One question I was hoping to ask you though: how do you attach the fabric to the frame?

Also, I love the colors. Congrats on your lovely project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eelkje
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008 12:51:32 PM »

Love it! Both pieces are so nicely done and look really beautiful.

Like drrubina, I'm curious about how you made the screen, so thanks for the reply. I'll have to look around for a tutorial - I'm the kind of person who likes to plan stuff out in gruesome detail before I start (which is unfortunate, because then it takes longer to start!).  One question I was hoping to ask you though: how do you attach the fabric to the frame?

Also, I love the colors. Congrats on your lovely project!

Here's a tiny tutuorial. Planning in advance is in this case necessary because you have to measure stuff otherwise things get wonky. So good for you (:
Attaching the fabric is done as shown in the second picture, and i'll try to explain it in words also because it's dead easy when you see it but maybe not so easy to explain it...

Basically you put the fabric between the side of the divider and a strip of wood. To make things a bit more controllable you first glue the strips to the fabric and then attach them to the divider frame.

For the bottom part you directly attach the strips to the divider frame so you can lay the plywood on top and glue or nail it.

Here's the mini tut:

A few notes: i mean that you use the dimensions of the upper part of the divider minus half a cm on each side so when you attach it it will be pulled tight. To that square you add allowance according to your strips. So you do not add -0,5 cm allowance. sorry for my confusing instruction there....

Secondly of course you need hinges, just buy them and attach. If they're big you'll have to do a bit of chiseling to make room for them but if you use pianohinges (the wee ones) you can just screw them on like that.

For attaching the frame you can do it whichever way you fancy and then use polyfiller for the holes/screws before you paint over the whole thing.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowridergrma
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008 03:53:14 PM »

Wow!  Your room divider is just great.  Those are really hard to find.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008 01:29:14 AM »

Gosh!!! Great (and thoughtful) job.  You have made it seem so very simple.  Thank you for the tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Superhero Origins: Havok
The Origins of Popeye
The Origins of Optimus Prime
An Interview With Comic Book Artist Tim Sale
Supervillain Origins: Dr. Hugo Strange
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...