A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lelah's done! (now with PATTERN)  (Read 106518 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hillsmel
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2005 12:46:06 AM »

I'm gutted, wanted to make this like this week. Now I can't because I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 6.5mm circs. My LYS is not very good. I first ordered them from Kangaroo.com and they emailed me saying they no longer had them in stock and wouldn't be ordering anymore. Damn it -cries-

So I had to get 6mm circs instead... could it work still?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tease My Needles
ohmystars
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2005 03:13:16 AM »

I'm gutted, wanted to make this like this week. Now I can't because I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 6.5mm circs. My LYS is not very good. I first ordered them from Kangaroo.com and they emailed me saying they no longer had them in stock and wouldn't be ordering anymore. Damn it -cries-
So I had to get 6mm circs instead... could it work still?

hmm, th knit might be a bit loose on the bust area so you might give an inadvertant peepshow, haha. i used 5mm circs for the lot and it's  little loose at the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hillsmel
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2005 02:04:24 AM »

So I started it last night

This was the progress last night. Would of got more done but The Sims 2 was calling me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tease My Needles
ohmystars
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2005 04:29:23 AM »

This was the progress last night. Would of got more done but The Sims 2 was calling me  Grin

pretty colour!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hillsmel
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2005 04:39:00 AM »

Thank you! I fell in love with it when I saw it in my LYS. Its Jaeger Matchmaker... was 99p for each ball because its discontinued now  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tease My Needles
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2005 06:21:59 AM »

i was really inspired by this lace pattern, but the sleeveless, strapless nature of the original pretty much ensured i wouldn't wear a true "Lelah." so here is my version, which is a Lelah/Bad Penny (from knitty) combination:

a close-up of the lace (notice the fishtails point in the opposite direction because bad penny is a top-down raglan):

and modeled my moi:

this was a fun project; thanks for the pattern, HelenaJane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
hillsmel
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2005 06:30:22 AM »

HAha damn you! I wanted to be the first person to transform the pattern into a t-shirt  Grin

That is so good, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tease My Needles
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2005 07:13:57 AM »

kabili,

WOW!  Shocked  I love your version of Lelah!  You even altered the Bad Penny from what I can tell.  It looks incredible!  Would you mind telling us more about how you modified it?  I like how you made the neckline higher on the bad penny.  I wasn't going to try lelah because of the strapless nature, but your variation on it makes it so wearable for me!  I want to knit it now! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2005 09:09:20 AM »

thanks for the compliments! this is my favorite garment that i have knitted for myself thus far. (not that i've done all that many.)

let's see... i made this using lion brand wool-ease (worsted weight) and i used US 10 needles. i cast on 50 stitches, i think, to make the higher neckline. also, i did the neckband in seed stitch rather than ribbing. raglan increases every other round, same as the pattern for Bad Penny. i think for my size (i'm a 34" bust) i did 19 increase rounds before separating the sleeves from the body. i tried it on a couple different times before i found the right amount of increases needed.

after separating the sleeves from the body, i knit a couple inches more in stockinette so that the beginning of the lace would be below my bust. then i knit the lace - i think i had 7 repeats of the pattern to make it long enough to reach my waist. then i added another seed stitch border at the waist.

then back to the sleeves. i wanted them to be short, so i just added the seed stitch border there too - no extra stockinette. (this would look cool as a long sleeve sweater too, though.) i did that part in the round to avoid seaming. you will have some holes at the armpit that you'll have to close up. but you'll have some yarn tails conveniently right there that you can use.

that's pretty much it! glampyre's/stefanie japel's patterns for top-down raglans like this (and like the famous boobholder/minisweater) are very easy to knit in whatever yarn, gauge, and size you want. they are exceptionally modifiable, IMO.

some notes to remember:
-after you've separated the sleeves from the body and are working the extra stockinette to cover your bust, make sure to increase or decrease the number of stitches needed to make your total number a multiple of 11. otherwise, your lace won't work out when you're ready to start it.
-do NOT attempt to work the lace pattern in reverse order so that the "fishtails" will point the same directoin as the original Lelah. i tried this, and it does not work. just looks like a garbled mess.  Embarrassed

enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2005 09:13:59 AM »

Thank you so much for the extra info, kabili!  I have a few other knits going on right now, but this one just moved way up on the 'to-do' list.  I hope I can manage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Fireworks Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Dusk/Dawn Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...