A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newborn Eco-Friendly Diaper Tutorial (IMG HEAVY!)  (Read 26620 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gimmemoresalad
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2008 09:59:46 PM »

I'll have to remember this is here when I have my eventual kids... I have to cloth diaper, or I'll feel stupid about being so into my DivaCup but using disposable diapers  Tongue  It would be contradictory.  Excellent tute!  You clearly put so much love and effort into making it AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nana of chloe
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008 07:47:39 PM »

Hi, that was a great idea to use a disposable to model your pattern from. Your tute was easy to read as you guided us through the steps. I wouldn't worry about the zig-zag stitch hurting the baby, it will soften up with frequent washing. The 'gusset'  was the best part. I've made some cloth nappies for my little grandaughter to wear, but as she was a winter baby and they live in a tiny flat disposables were best because there is a limit to just how many indoor clothes frames you can put in a room as well as all the other baby stuff  Smiley. I'm also a great fan of serging the edges - it takes away all that extra work of 'turning rightside out etc.'. Serging also stands up to a lot of washing, I know because the original cloth nappies I made for my first child in 1981 lasted through three babies and beyond (I gave them away when I had no further use for them  Smiley.
Your post has generated heaps of great ideas and made some of us think now of other ways to do things and that's what craftster is all about.
Did you consider leaving an opening in the back for an insert like a 'pocket nappy' ? (at least I think that's what they are called).
Cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2009 08:15:51 PM »

Well, the diapers did really well.  The PUL was the best to use.  I didn't think about an extra pocket to add an extra soaker pad.  Interesting idea.  My dil didn't use them very much so I refuse to make her anymore.  Yeah, serged edges are just as soft as other cotton thread.  I heard that polyester thread can wick, I'm not sure if that would be a really problem or not.  My opinion is, if that happens change the babies diaper for heaven's sake.  LOL  And I found that turning it right side out was just a pain in the ass, no pun intended.  Anyway, they were diapers.  And if anyone wanted them that way they could do it that way, you know what I mean.  I was just looking for the easiest way to make them since I had to make a bunch.  The problem in this thread was a certain person would be mean in their criticism but for the most part I learned a lot from all the good, kind suggestions and ideas.  So, thanks again everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hamburke
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2009 08:34:40 PM »

gimmemoresalad - DivaCup is way more comfy than anything else. I love mine and have used disposable diapers for all 3 kids - nothing to feel stupid about - but now I'm on to potty training #3 and cloth works soooooo much better than disposables (pullups are just expensive diapers) so i'm trying to make some absorbent training pants. Those Gerber ones don't hold much and my older kids complained about the plastic pants so I'm researching cloth diapers 'cause they look cool even though I can't keep up with my laundry as it is. Plus, I think it's going to take longer since I had 2 girls who asked to go potty all the time and now I have a boy who likes to sit on the potty to see his private parts (the fascination starts early)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gimmemoresalad
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009 06:40:49 PM »

gimmemoresalad - DivaCup is way more comfy than anything else. I love mine and have used disposable diapers for all 3 kids - nothing to feel stupid about - but now I'm on to potty training #3 and cloth works soooooo much better than disposables (pullups are just expensive diapers) so i'm trying to make some absorbent training pants. Those Gerber ones don't hold much and my older kids complained about the plastic pants so I'm researching cloth diapers 'cause they look cool even though I can't keep up with my laundry as it is. Plus, I think it's going to take longer since I had 2 girls who asked to go potty all the time and now I have a boy who likes to sit on the potty to see his private parts (the fascination starts early)

Haha, yeah, I agree on the comfort thing, but I also enjoy it for the environmental factor, and babies go through about as many diapers per day as I'd go through tampons, except they do it EVERY day, and diapers are way bigger than tampons.  That's why it would feel silly.

A little off topic, but that comment about your son reminded me... when I was 5 and had chicken pox, my mom was smearing me up with cream, and my younger brother comes in the room naked and holding himself, and he goes, "Mommy, I need a band-aid!  There's a hole!"  Mom was like, "Umm... no, that's supposed to be there."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hamburke
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009 08:19:26 PM »

I'm a DivaCup girl simply for the comfort. They "improved" tampons while I was pregnant with my son and now I can't wear the biodegradable ones. I recycle, use reusable recycled grocery bags, buy local produce, walk as much as I can (I used to walk to the grocery store but it closed and now I don't want to cross the local highway with my kids and niece), conserve energy when possible. I just can't manage to get into cloth diapers and I think I'd use too much energy drying them as my HOA doesn't allow clothes lines and the crazy HOA prez lives on my street.

As for your brother's comment, I'm sure my kids will be saying something similar in the next couple of years. The girls already think that his parts are really interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkween
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009 07:19:17 AM »

OMG! this is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lalalalea
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009 02:21:03 PM »

THANK you for having taken time out to put together a great tut!! I read the party poopers comments... jeez seriously grow up. Huh LOL I think you did a wonderful job and I'm sure that it's helped alot of people out since you posted it! I myself am trying to work on making cloth training pants for my 2 year old. I am so sick of buying Pullups lol. Dont let the flat out mean remarks of poopy people bother you (hehe), we think it's fantastic and truly appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009 12:13:23 PM »

Thank you so much for the tute!  My baby is due at the end of this month, so i've got some more sewing to do.. None of the other patterns i've found had the leg 'gussets' and I think that they are a great idea.. I'll defiantly give them a try.

Just a little bit of very unknown information for anyone who has to defend their cloth diaper useage to those who think its 'gross' to have to deal with the poop.  TECHNICALLY all disposable diapers packages say clearly, (but in super fine print) That before you throw away the diaper you are supposed to remove and flush the poop, as you are not really supposed to be throwing biological waste in the garbage.. (just like most kitty litters say to flush the poop as well)   So in all reality if you were to use disposable diapers the legal way, you'd DEFIANTLY just be throwing away a whole crapload of money. lol   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nvdcntrygirl
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009 12:58:18 PM »

I am loving this tute -- I desperately need to make bigger diapers for my little one -- you said that you have a pdf of the file -- any chance you can email it to me: nvdcntrygirl@yahoo.com!

The gussets are ingenious -- I have trying to figure out how to make them and I really like the way you did yours -- other ones I have seen have not been as functional.  I like the idea of using the disposable diaper as a pattern -- I also like the idea of making the tabs out of elastic -- I would have never thought of that (and out of all the diaper sewing patterns I have -- none of them have done that!)

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Smooth, Shiny Hair
Easy Hair Extensions
Gloss Products Review
What to do With Thinning Hair
Beauty Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...