A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newborn Eco-Friendly Diaper Tutorial (IMG HEAVY!)  (Read 26822 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2008 02:22:42 PM »

Okie Dokie, well here goes.  I put up a post and have received the most responses of any post I've done so far.  I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the great compliments, advice, and suggestions.  I received a package from happyfrog with some material called PUL, which stands for Poly-Urethane Laminated.  Well, at first I thought yucky because it sounded like some old drapes my mother-in-law once gave me that were backed with urethane.  Come to find out I was so totally wrong.  It was suggested that I visit a site called www.wazoodle.com

Newborn to 10 lbs
Eco-Friendly Diaper

I took a disposable diaper apart and made a pattern from it.  After making the first
one I posted my pictures on Craftster.org. 

MATERIALS:
  ~  1 or 2 mil PUL (Poly-Urethane Lined) Fabric
  ~  Soft (Flannel, old receiving blanket, hemp, brushed cotton, etc.) Fabric for inner lining
  ~  Absorbent material (Hemp, Bamboo, Terry Towel, etc.)
 ~  1/4" Elastic (get the soft kind)
  ~  1 1/2" Skirt Elastic
  ~  1 1/2" Velcro
NOTE:  The PUL is pretty cool stuff, some here say you will need to have either a ball-point needle, and/or a teflon sewing machine foot.  I was sent a piece to try out and because (I think) I didn't have to sew on the wrong side of the fabric I didn't need these things.  The absorbent material I used was a terry-cloth towel, I used 3 layers.  I have read in some places to use up to six layers, but my machine had trouble with that so I used 3.  So, what I am saying is that this is your choice.   They have this fabric and much more for you to choose from.  I have the pattern in a .pdf that you can download.  Now I couldn't get the pattern to cut in half on my graphics program (even though it says you can) so I had to put it on and 8 1/2"X14" paper layout.  So when you go to print it out you'll have to have 8 1/2" X 14" paper.

Here's the link to the pdf file for the pattern: http://www.mediafire.com/?ltnmgz0ytny

Cut 1 of diaper pattern from the PUL fabric
and cut 1 for the inner lining.

Cut 3 (or 6) absorbent pads

Cut 2 leg gussets from PUL Fabric

Transfer all markings on pattern to Inner Lining and Gussets.
Note: you don't need to put any markings on the PUL outer
diaper fabric, just the inner lining.

Serge (or zig-zag) the absorbent pieces together.

Lay the absorbent material on the wrong side of Inner Lining, but pin from the right side.

Sew, using a zig-zag stitch, on the right side of  Inner Lining around the edge
of absorbent pad.  Note: I mark the rectangle where it's going to be so I can use that as guide.

Serge  (or zig-zag, I do both) the sides and front seam only, leave back seam open.  By front/back I mean the ends of the diaper that are the front and back, this is on the pattern, so mark a "B" on each the PUL outer piece and the Inner Lining.

Cut 2 pieces of 1/4" elastic 5" long.  On top of the Inner Lining sew with a short
zig-zag stitch each end of the elastic on the marks shown on the pattern.

Stretch the  elastic taut and zig-zag down.  Try to keep it as straight as possible. 

Do this also for the other leg.

On the wrong side of the Inner Lining zig-zag each end to the marks shown on pattern, just like on the legs.

Serge the "back" seam closed.  Just wait I'll get to sewing the elastic down.

Now, from the Inner Lining side zig-zag the elastic down, as shown. You might be thinking that is difficult to do when you can't see the elastic, but if you start at the end and use your sense of touch it isn't as hard as it may seem.  I had at first just put the elastic on top, but someone pointed out that that may irritate the baby so I came up with this method.  This way it is sandwiched in between the 2 layers.

Here is what it looks like from the outside.  (I know my serger needed adjusting)

Serge the edges of long Gussets.

Cut 2 pieces of  1/4" elastic 4 1/4" long.  Attach a safety pin to one end and insert into one end of the Gusset.

Push the elastic until just the end of it is at mark.  Now you have to do this by feel.
Pin and sew down to secure it.  You also want to keep the elastic about 1/4" from the folded edge, too.

Pull the elastic thru and undo the safety pin while holding the elastic.  Carefully adjust this end of the elastic back to the other mark and pin.  Sew down just like the other end.

Now zig-zag the elastic thru all the layers.  This keeps the elastic between the layers and won't cause irritation.  It's a little tricky to do this, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier to do.

Serge the both ends closed.

Each Gusset has a "back" end and a "front" end.  Take the "back" end and lay it so that the serged long edge is in line with the leg elastic and pin down.

Do the same thing with the other end.  Don't pin along the leg elastic.

Start at the bottom (serged long edge) of the Gusset (where the curved mark is) where it is marked and sew with a straight stitch up to the edge. 

Then zig-zag the top (serged) edge and down the long (serged) edge.  Stretch the 2 pieces as you sew over the elastic on the legs.   Do the same for the other leg.

These Gussets are what I call "pooper stoppers"  LOL I thought they were quite clever.  I can't take credit for the design, though.

Cut 2 pieces of 1 1/2" elastic 2 1/2" long; and 2 pieces (each side)of 1 1/2" Velcro 1" wide each.

Sew the rough side of the Velcro to each end of the elastic.

Attach the Pull Tab to where the marks are on the pattern.  Attach the fuzzy side of the Velcro to the other end of the elastic, as shown.

What this is for is so you can close it when you wash it.  It keeps the rough side from getting fuzz in it from the dryer

Cut 1 piece of the 1 1/2" soft side of  Velcro 5" long.

On the right side of the diaper on the "front" end, center the elastic and then have it about 1/2" from the edge. sew thru all layers.  I use a zig-zag stitch for more strength.

Here is the finished product with the tabs closed.

So, here it is finished and on my model.  I hope you can understand this tutorial.  If anyone has any questions or suggestions please just let me know.  (Don't mind my messy sewing room.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixedchick
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008 02:39:10 PM »

what a GREAT way to be eco-conscious!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008 02:40:34 PM by mixedchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

love is a verb, not a noun.

God is Good. God is Love.
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008 03:12:47 PM »

All those extra stiches to secure the extra fabric doesnt look very comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008 03:20:27 PM »

Well done, I've never made cloth nappies but I think your design looks great and I've been following how much you've put into into so thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008 03:24:01 PM »

what a great tute! cler instructions, great ideas, lots of options!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AbbyRose
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008 04:15:58 PM »

Love the tutorial! I've been wondering how to do gussets on my cloth dipes. Do you have minimal leaks with these? Does the top of the gusset piece (with the elastic) sit in between baby's leg fold (panty line)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
krafty119
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008 04:28:30 PM »

Can I say, you are amazing! TRULY AMAZING. Way to go. That is a great tutorial and a wonderful finished project. I never thought a diaper would be stunning, but damn girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008 04:32:50 PM »

I'm working on a tutorial that doesnt use all the extra fabric nor the extra stiches
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008 05:37:36 PM »

Wow!  Great work on this!  Love the gussets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008 05:53:21 PM »

All those extra stiches to secure the extra fabric doesnt look very comfortable.

Well, I sure hope that's not true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Body-Positive Communities: A Force For Good
The Biggest Makeup Mistakes Women Over 40 Make
How to Fake a Facelift with Makeup
How to Look Years Younger with Thermage
How To Pick The Perfect Perfume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...