A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newborn Eco-Friendly Diaper Tutorial (IMG HEAVY!)  (Read 26966 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008 09:01:23 PM »

Wonderful! thanks for sharing your good work and thoughtful tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008 09:09:02 PM »

By the way, I think you're completely right about "some comments being on the negative side." That's not normal for Craftster. Most folks on Craftster are very kind and supportive, so it really stands out when someone isn't. Hang in there! You've done a great job with your tutorial and your project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008 10:01:27 PM »

Thanks, I thought, at first, I was just being too sensitive.  It's nice to know others saw the negativity too.  I love this site and have gotten sooooooooo many good ideas from other people.  I just hate it when someone can't express criticism in a positive manner.  She pm'd me and told me that, "Why does everything have to be positive? If its dangerous ect I am not going to sit by and let them use it or contiune to make it and pat them on the back. It will give other posters the idea that its ok to make/sell and put other kids/animals in danger. If people only want pats on the back, dont post!"  I was appalled and reported this to the moderators, maybe they can explain to her about the rules of this site.  Geepers, she makes me wish I hadn't posted this.  But I am glad I did because everyone else has been very nice, very helpful and supportive.  I used a shower curtain as an inner liner, not touching babies skin, and I thought I was being clever because it was basically the same material as the plastic panties we used to use in the stone age.  LOL  Cheesy  HappyFrog turned me on to PUL and she did it in a nice way, too.  She's the best.  FunkeyMonkey considers herself an expert on something called a sugar glider, never heard of it, it's some kind of little pet, she's had one for 11 years and says she's an expert on them, but she was mean about her comments too.  I personally thought what the person made was pretty neat.  And I've had cats and dogs nearly my whole life but I'd never consider myself an expert.  People like that just irk me.  No one has the right to dampen a person creative spirit.  But that's just my opinion, now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008 12:27:06 AM »

I think you did a fabulous job incorporating the comments in your first thread and creating this very useful tutorial! I have to say that while I agree that this forum leaves us open to all sorts of feedback comments and all don't have to be positive, there is a way to recommend something without being hurtful. Agrafikartist did a great job in creating a tutorial that we can take and change to our liking if we want to but she has some good design points that I think would make me use this exactly as she did. Thanks again for taking the time to do the tutorial.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
katy23669
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008 04:37:29 AM »

I have never posted on here but read Crafster daily.  When I saw the negative comments I just had to post. (I believe in the year in so I've been reading Crafster this is the first negative comments I have seen). Please don't let sour grapes dampen your creative spirit. Before I even really looked at the item you made I was in awe of the very detailed tutorial! Good heavens that must have taken quite a bit of time. I think the diaper you made is absolutely adorable and looks cuddly! It's easy to see that lots of time and love went in to your creation and I think it's marvelous!  Great job ~ keep smiling!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 04:38:46 AM by katy23669 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008 06:26:33 AM »

well, sometimes i get tired of all the over-niceyness here, it seems ingenuine now and then. but i agree that some things could have been said a little gentler. i say take it all as constructive critisim, there are a lot of experienced diaper makers out there who feel passionately about it and have some good advice, right? like the pul, that was invaluable.
anyhow, as my mama says "take the wheat and leave the shaft". ignore the stuff that doesn't serve you if you can. less stressful  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
stewd_arts
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008 06:29:01 AM »

I've learned over time not to let people ruin my fun Smiley There's a big difference between concern/ constructive criticism, and being rude about it. But you did a great job.

Ok, I do not have any children, but will some day and I HAVE to know- How do you go about washing the diapers? I know its a little gross, but do you "pre-scrape" the #2 diapers and then wash them? I'm not too frightened of the #1 side of things, but I have seen a couple of different posts about cloth diapers, and have been giving serious thought to using them in the future. I just was really curious about the messiness factor.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 06:40:33 AM by stewd_arts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
    Edvard Munch
thehappylion
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008 06:39:43 AM »

I just adore your tute and your diapers. I would have bought tons of them when I was still in the midst of cloth diapering, because that gusset is just the best idea ever.

Ok, I do not have any children, but will some day and I HAVE to know- How do you go about washing the diapers? I know its a little gross, but do you "pre-scrape" the #2 diapers and then wash them? I'm not too frightened of the #1 side of things, but I have seen a couple of different posts about cloth diapers, and have been giving serious thought to using them in the future. I just was really curious about the messiness factor.

I just had to answer this one, because I was totally turned off by the idea of poo, and I had heard everything from swishing it in the toilet to scraping it by hand and I did something else that worked for me... I let them sit. I just got a great pail that didn't give off odor (by the way, breastfeeding WAY cuts down on poo stink) and let the diapers collect all day. At the end of the day, I'd throw the pee-only ones straight into the washer, with a little Bac-Out (which I still *LOVE*) and deal with the poo ones. By the time that the poo has sat all day, it has dried up to the point where it's no longer gooey and I was no longer scared it'd get all over me. It was simple to use another part of the diaper itself to push the dried poo into the toilet and flush it away. Then I'd let them soak all night and wash in the morning. This made the diapers stain, I know some people feel the need to keep them pristine looking, but I couldn't handle all that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008 07:21:22 AM »

Hey, ALL!

Please keep demeaning comments to yourselves, accept constructive criticism and remember that emotion and sarcasm often don't travel well via text/print. Smiley

Remember, Craftster is about sharing crafts.  If you can't get along with another member on a personal level, please use the "ignore" method -- move along to the next post or thread. Wink

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
rhiannonjo
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008 07:22:52 AM »

That's awesome! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just chillin' and sewin'....sewin' and chillin'
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Copy Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Backlight Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Getting Started
Canon XSi/450D: Set White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...