A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newborn Eco-Friendly Diaper Tutorial (IMG HEAVY!)  (Read 29756 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008 06:05:42 PM »

Can I say, you are amazing! TRULY AMAZING. Way to go. That is a great tutorial and a wonderful finished project. I never thought a diaper would be stunning, but damn girl!

Thank you so much.  HappyFrog sent me the PUL to try out and I am sold on it.  And it wasn't as expensive as I thought.  FunkyMonkey is going to show how to do it with less stitches cause she thinks it will be to irritating for a baby.  Gee, I hope not.  Personally, none of my kids had that sensitive of skin, but that doesn't mean other babies don't.  I could have made it so there wasn't any serging stitches on the outside but I just thought, "Heck, it's a diaper!", and I found it to be a pain to do so.  But that's me and sometimes I try to find the easy way out, so to speak.  Anyway, the tute is to show how I DID IT and anyone can take it and improve it to their hearts content, in fact that's the whole point of tutorials, I think.  I know I called the "pooper stoppers" Gussets and technically they aren't but I couldn't figure out what else to call them for the tute.  By the way, if anyone wants this tute in a pdf file, I did one.  I realize that this is kinda long and it may be hard to print it off without cutting pics in half and such.  The tute and pattern are free for craftster's members.  Just pm me and I will send it to you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008 06:12:40 PM »

Love the tutorial! I've been wondering how to do gussets on my cloth dipes. Do you have minimal leaks with these? Does the top of the gusset piece (with the elastic) sit in between baby's leg fold (panty line)?

I took a disposable diaper apart and carefully measured it out and spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to make it on a sewing machine.  I am afraid I can't answer your question about how well it works because I did these for my grandson, but he's not due to enter this world 'til Oct. 14th.  I have poured water in it and held it up and squished it 'til it leaked, it seemed to take quite a bit of pressure to make it leak.  I do know that you can get this stuff that is used on tent and other type of seams called "seam sealer", if you used it on the outside of the gusset seam it shouldn't harm the baby.  I've used it before on other things that were used as clothing without any problems.  It also held up well in washings. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008 06:21:48 PM »

If you use polyester thread, decent materials, and the right size needle, and tight enough elastic, it should not leak. (as long as you dont let your baby sit in it for hours...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008 06:29:48 PM »

If you use polyester thread, decent materials, and the right size needle, and tight enough elastic, it should not leak. (as long as you dont let your baby sit in it for hours...)

I used cotton thread which is quite soft, thank you, and what do mean by "decent materials".  I work with what I have and if the elastic is too tight it will be uncomfortable.  And any baby allowed to sit too long in a diaper, the parents should be reported.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008 08:07:57 PM by agrafikartist » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008 07:03:01 PM »

looks good! i might try that technique to make the gussets part of the inside piece so there is less sewing (for me to do and baby to feel if that's the case) but i like your general design. thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008 07:54:34 PM »

My babies are way out of diapers (in high school and college!), but it is soooo wonderful that people are still keeping their kiddoes in nice natural diapers!! Kudoes for this great tute-you're a Craftster Queen in my book! Rock on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008 08:10:19 PM »

Why thank you for the nice compliment.  This is only my 2nd tute so I am glad it is understandable.  Some comments here seem a bit on the arrogant and on the negative side. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008 08:22:06 PM »

Why thank you for the nice compliment.  This is only my 2nd tute so I am glad it is understandable.  Some comments here seem a bit on the arrogant and on the negative side. 

I agree.  I think you did wonderful.  I would have never thought to try and make it just like a disposable diaper.  Don't let those comments get you down.  My youngest baby is 3, had this tute came along three years ago, I'd have drawers full of em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008 08:28:37 PM »

Thanks, at least some people here understand that most of us aren't pro's and are just trying our best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008 08:37:40 PM »

When I joined Craftster I always tried to keep in mind that we are all little crafter lambs finding our way...I have been off awhile-I hope that's still the same  Smiley  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008 04:03:46 PM by balkandina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Chic and Demure Like Olivia Palmero
10 Ways to Look Slimmer Instantly
How to Wear Sheer This Fall
One Maxi Dress Styled 10 Ways
Digital Dressing Room: Hardwired
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...