A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am not an artist. Help with easy art?  (Read 2791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shastaw2006
« on: September 13, 2008 12:47:04 PM »

I want to put art around my house- but I'm really broke. I'd like to do it myself, but I can't draw. At all. I might be able to sorta splatter paint around on a canvas, and draw geometrical shapes.
So anyways, I'm looking for easy art that I can do that looks decent. I don't want to do portraits or anything, or anything that looks real, but more abstract and geometrical stuff. Are there any styles of art that I can do? Or does anyone know of a teaching website that can REALLY teach? (I really really suck, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty_bug01
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008 04:23:01 AM »

Don't know if it helps, but maybe try sculpture.  I can't draw worth anything.  Try shadow boxes with sculpty figurines of favorite animals.  Like a fairy and her environment or something.  There are other types of clays that you can fire in your oven. 

You can also try doing a plaster sculpture.  That's easy enough.  You get a 5 gallon bucket with a 13 pound bag (it comes in a box at lowes in the paint section) of plaster of paris.  And mix the entire bag into it.  You can't just dump the entire bag in at once, but bits in at a time, don't mix until you have all of the plaster in the bucket.  Once you have all of the plaster in, mix the bucket and it will heat up, so don't use your hand, you can use a long stick or like the paint sticks at lowes.  Mix it really well so you don't have clumps.  Let it  dry for about 3 days, until you can't imprint your finger into the top of the plaster.  Does that make sense?  The plaster will still be a little wet as you are carving, but will dry as you are carving.  The plaster will be scratchable to the fingernail when finished.  Also, you have to seal the piece with a clear spray paint when finished.  If you have difficulties, don't hesitate to PM or post again, someone can help.

Jennifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008 06:44:35 PM »

Art isn't easy.  However you can do some interior decorator type of thing using masking tape and paint on a canvas.  Just pick your colours, and put down your lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008 01:29:40 PM »

thanks for the ideas. I'll try them both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kingfrancebald
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008 08:15:37 PM »

I remember the summer after kindergarten we did sort of sunsets just by mixing up nice blue streaks and things for water, pink skies and red suns and v's for flocks of birds. Think you could handle it? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008 06:22:44 AM »

go to the library and get an arts and craft book geared for kids. Do the same project just go bigger.  Imagine a huge macaroni pivture made with pasta spratpainted in gold and black, or pink and lime green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darrylcolt
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008 08:21:37 AM »

I would recommend photography. Just use a simple digital camera and play around. Don't take it to serious. Maybe photograph through a a glass of juice or take a picture of a reflection. Just experiment.

There are several printers online and in your town that can make small to large format prints. Costco has excellent printing for really cheap. Stop by your local craft store and pick up some ready made frames.

Photography is an easy way to create artwork and you don't need to be an artist or photographer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep it Crafty
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008 03:21:00 PM »

Another idea- some art stores carry packs of canvases (not canvas board, but stretched canvas) quite cheaply. You could either paint them a solid color (you can use small cans of house paint on primed canvas- it doesn't have to be the expensive art tubes), or perhaps paint a square in one shade against a background of a darker shade. Make three of them and you have a set (I did something similar in my bathroom- one a solid blue, one a solid yellow and the third a solid orange. 6 years later people still ask me where I got them...).

Another idea- take a look at the fabric stores in your area and pick up a length of a pattern that you love (check the remnant bins too). You could do something similar and cover three canvases of different sizes in the same fabric, or cover three canvases of the same size in different fabrics. I did actually see this on a home decorating show and it was awesome. You could also put fabric in thrift shop frames, or even cover shoe box tops, cereal boxes, or whatever (no one would be the wiser once it was covered!). There are some really funky fabrics in quilting shops- and the can be expensive per meter, but if you use it well and plan ahead it still comes out pretty cheap for art, and it is unique.

have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008 04:03:43 PM »

I really like silhouettes for this type of thing.  You can usually find interesting silhouettes online by searching or by blowing up a wingding font - right now I have a canvas hanging in my dining area that I painted and traced with the outline of a bird, then filled it in with more paint.  It was super easy and no one has to know it was traced. 

The other thing that I've done that looks pretty cool is to take some coordinating paint colors and paint little circles, eventually making enough little circles to make the shape of a big circle.  Then add a skinny trunk and a line for the ground, and voila, a big fat colorful tree!

Also, I have seen people frame pieces of big, fancy wrapping paper on the wall.  Y'know, the super nice stuff you can get at places like Barnes and Noble or Paper Source?  This can look pretty good, too.

Another idea is framing pages from old books or dictionaries... I have done this with pages I like the typography on and it sounds a little hokey but doesn't look as weird as you'd think.  I have also seen people find funky shaped frames at thrift stores, paint them in loud colors, and hang them in clusters with nothing in them.  I think it looks pretty cool Smiley

Finally, I have some "swatch portraits" (like these: http://www.purlbee.com/swatch-portraits/) hanging in my sewing area - that's an idea, too. 

Hope that helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008 04:05:21 PM »

Okay, I lied, one more: If you're graphically inclined, you could always design some posters on photoshop or whatever and frame them.  Still art, just a different kind Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Egg Fried Rice Recipe
How to Prepare Noodles in 1 Minute
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...