A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elna Club 500? Anyone??  (Read 10694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stacijane
« on: September 13, 2008 06:48:05 AM »

So, I bought an Elna Club 500 on Ebay.  I have been bidding on Pfaff, Elna, Husqvarna Viking, Bernina...you name it and always get outbid at the last second or they go for wayyyy over my budget.  I put a max bid of $100 on this machine and kind of forgot about it.  Well, I ended up winning it for $89.00.  The power cord and foot pedal and all original feet are included.  Seller claims it works perfectly.  No manual, but I found one online and downloaded it.  So, why so cheap??  Makes me worried it's not a good machine?  Anyone have or heard of this model?

Thanks!!  Here's the photo from the auction.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008 08:09:17 AM »

I'm not familiar with your machine, but I have owned an Elna Carina SU 66 since 1983 and I love it.  The stitches formed by my Elna would make you weep, they are so perfect. 

Of course, Elna, the swiss manufacturer, was taken over by Janome (Japanese) a few years ago (the world's largest sewing machine manufacturer) and your picture looks suspiciously like many Janome's I've seen. 

You may have just lucked out! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
stacijane
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008 06:49:57 AM »

I'm hoping this was made prior to the switch.  My luck it wasn't though.  I did find something online somewhere saying the Club 500 was introduced in 1996.  When did they start making them in Japan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008 02:51:10 PM »

I was going to buy a different Elna and after a lot of research and talking to the dealer I found out that while Elna and Janome have been connected (on and off actually) both companies are still run independantly. Elna is still designed and made in Germany. They are like sister companies, related but run completely seperate.

good luck with the new machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008 05:09:02 AM »

Elna is still designed and made in Germany.

Elna is Swiss, not German.

Elna International Corp. SA
Chemin du Champ-des-Filles 19
1228 Plan-les-Ouates
Genve
Switzerland
 + 41 22 884 86 66
 + 41 22 794 95 40
 info@elna.com
 http://www.elna.ch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
mom2blu
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 12:31:16 PM »

lol for some reason EVERY time I talk about elna I say the wrong country!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
viacm17
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009 07:22:47 AM »

I just came across your inquiry on Craftser, from September 13, 2008.  I bought the very same ELNA CLUB new, in 1994, in Japan. The machines were not made in Japan, they were made in Tavaro, Switzerland. I paid about $1800 at the time, so you certainly got a very good deal. I have since moved from Japan to Canada to Italy, always taking the ELNA Club with me. Now I use a voltage converter, but it works perfectly. This is a terrific machine, it was one of the first computer machines on the market. The tension is always perfect. The motor is very strong. Just do not sew triple layers of jeans (for hemming) as it may damage the alignment of the needle. The speed is a bit slow, but it is not an industrial sewing machine, after all. I just thought I would drop you a line because I have used my machine (heavy use) for 15 years and have never had a problem.  If you ever have any concerns or want to purchase parts, ELNA head office in Switzerland is very kind and helpful! They will direct you to the appropriate dealers who can provide parts for a 15 year old machine.
Here is their site. http://www.elna.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 4/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 6/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 7/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 8/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 5/29
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...