A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: messenger bag with gusset tutorial  (Read 500948 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial , featured_project , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plen
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2006 01:19:57 PM »

i know this is an old thread, but i was wondering if someone could help me out...

When i attached the lining to the bag according to instructions, it seemed like my straps and cover flap got "swallowed" by the lining, and disappeared from the outside of the bag... so when i pulled it through they were gone. what did I do wrong / how can I fix this?

*figures my first post ever would be cuz I screwed something up and had to ask how to fix it... lol*

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
castorella
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2006 03:25:19 PM »

I just finished my first bag! I used a fabric that my mom gave me. When I was little, I had a pillowcase of the exact same fabric. I have always hated it, it's so old fashioned! I decided to deal with this childhood trauma by turning the fabric into an experiment bag, with a zillion mistakes. that'll show them! Grin

I'm not going to show you the inside since I made a VERY feeble attempt to insert a zipper pocket. Undecided

i know this is an old thread, but i was wondering if someone could help me out...

When i attached the lining to the bag according to instructions, it seemed like my straps and cover flap got "swallowed" by the lining, and disappeared from the outside of the bag... so when i pulled it through they were gone. what did I do wrong / how can I fix this?

*figures my first post ever would be cuz I screwed something up and had to ask how to fix it... lol*

Thanks in advance!

Plen, that happened to me as well! Shocked I turned the whole thing inside out and was like: erm...didn't I attach a flap? I just ripped the lining and the outside fabric apart and started again, but now that it's fixed I don't remember anymore how I did it. Good luck!

(edit 5 minutes later): I think you should not put the flap and the straps inside the outer bag at the point where you put the outer bag in the lining bag, but leave them in between the two bags. Then you can pull everything out later.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 03:40:02 PM by castorella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShiningStar
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2006 10:05:20 AM »

Why am I getting an e-mail today if the last post was in February Huh?  Everyone did a wonderful on their bags so I'm glad I got the e-mail Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
losabia
Asian Cajun crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2006 03:39:44 PM »

Why am I getting an e-mail today if the last post was in February ?  Everyone did a wonderful on their bags so I'm glad I got the e-mail .

Oops! I think that was me. I couldn't figure out how to insert an image the other day, so I deleted my post. Sorry for "psyching" you out.

Here's my bag. My flap is waaaaaaay longer than everyone else's. I think I didn't cut a flap pattern piece and accidentally just did another body piece? Magnetic snap, quilted, and bound. I won't be doing THAT again. The three-way seams + binding were weird. I should just have done the pattern as written!

Still, I love it, and I'm getting compliments right and left. Thank you for the pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: I knew that!
ShiningStar
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2006 04:21:20 PM »

LOL Grin! I was wondering what was going on.  losabia I like your bag. The changes you made work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
mindlesscracka
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2006 11:54:13 AM »

ok i have a pretty urgent question you guys..

can't you just sew the lining to the outside pieces before you put the bag together?

does it really matter? it just seems easier that way to me. but ive never tried before and im about to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
courtlet
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2006 09:52:52 AM »

I might be completely delusional and misunderstanding your question but here's my best shot at an answer. Smiley

If you did that, how would you attach the flap?

Normally, you would sew the top of the lining and outside fabrics together with the flap sandwiched between the two layers.  That way, when you turn it right-side-out...you have a flap that is connected and the edges are hidden between the layers. 

So I don't believe that you could sew the lining in first unless you left a gap to later insert the flap into...you might as well do it all at the same time, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
margarida
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2006 06:52:54 AM »

thanks for a wonderful tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynbird22

Itchin' stitchin' fingers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2006 07:06:38 AM »

great bag, great tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynbird: making mothers nervous, since 1983.
dorcas
« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2006 12:52:52 PM »

Very helpful tute. Thanks so much! I do have to say that I found it easier to have one long strip for the side instead of three that are sewn together. That way you don't have to worry about lining up the seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop! www.dorcas.etsy.com
myspace.com/dorcas4christ
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chocolate Salami
How to Make Honey Panna Cotta with Pistachios
How to Make Christmas Light Cookies
Debbie Matenopoulos’ Recipe for Baklava
Homemade Strawberry Pie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...