A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: messenger bag with gusset tutorial  (Read 500259 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial , featured_project , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

strangerthanyou
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2006 04:33:34 PM »

Thanks so much for this tute, btw. But before I start, I have a couple questions..... Roll Eyes if they can be answered by anyone.

Okay, so when you sew the straps, you're sewing in a lining, and then folding it in half so that it's not visible? please correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems a little strange. Would it work better to have two strips of fabric, sew down the edges (so theere are not raw edges) then sew them together on top or next to the seams you just made? I'm just trying to figure out the strongest way, cuz I'm trying to make a schoolbag, and I have visions of it collapsing in the middle of the walk home....

Also, when you sew the straps on, you're sewing them onto the outside, so they're like.... folding over on themselves as they go up. Okay that sounded completely incoherent even to me. Could you sew them onto the inside instead?

It's so awesome seeing all the bags people have made....v. beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2006 06:27:32 AM »

that's an awesome tutorial!!  I've never made one, so I'm going to have to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notsohipmama
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2006 12:51:08 PM »

Does anyone know if I need to put interfacing on the strap?  I've got everything I need to make myself a bag except I don't have enough interfacing.  I want my bag to be sturdy, though both fabrics I'm using for the exterior and the lining are somewhat strong (one a velveteen, the other a home decor fabric).  Having never made a bag other than a felt tote before, I don't know if the strap body itself needs to be that sturdy, kwim?

I am SO happy to have found this tutorial - I have been wanting to make myself a messenger bag for years, but never really took action until now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twitness89
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2006 10:56:39 PM »

I found this tutorial on a different site and I use it allllll the time! I loooooove it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
courtlet
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2006 07:25:16 AM »

Does anyone know if I need to put interfacing on the strap? 

Are you sewing a strap from the fabric you have? I would probably use interfacing just so you have some extra strength because it would be unfortunate to have a weak strap with an awesome bag. Maybe you could use fabric as your interfacing instead?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notsohipmama
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2006 09:00:12 PM »

Are you sewing a strap from the fabric you have?

Thanks!  I ended up waiting to make the bag until I bought more interfacing.  I'm glad I waited because I think without the interfacing, the strap would have been too soft and flimsy now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lunanne

Being organized interferes with my creativity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2006 07:27:56 PM »

This is a wonderful tutorial. Very easy to follow and the size of the bag is just perfect. Thank you for sharing it with us.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Wisting can be addictive...

...so does Pinterest-ing!
tickytacky
« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2007 09:54:32 PM »

Excuse the poor cell phone pictures, but my camera charger is MIA. This thing took me two whole days to make, but it was totally worth it. Probably cost me about $10 total. The leopard fabric was on clearance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/iammirando/a8ed97757c02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/iammirando/792afaa002b3.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hannahbanana27
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2007 08:54:37 AM »

oh my goodness, thank you for the tutorial!

I always have had difficulty with messengers.
super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hannah
Keri Kennedy
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2007 05:15:31 PM »

This Tutoral has possibly saved me!  I had tried to make a backpack purse, but I hated how it was comming out.  But now thanks to your tutorial I realize I can easily convert it to a messenger tote - which will just as easily suit my needs (a purse that won't get in the way with a squirmy toddler).

Now I am excited again about the purse that was nearly complete anyhow!  Woohoo!  A few minor ajustments and it will be a cool messenger bag!    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
The Debutante Ball 2013: Party at the Automobile Club in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...