A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
844 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: messenger bag with gusset tutorial  (Read 500953 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial , featured_project , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midnighttoker
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker...

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2004 03:31:57 PM »

I was also very inspired by your tutorial. I had been looking for a bag big enough for me to have magazines or a couple books in, but not overwhelmingly huge. The fabric I used is flannel, with little owls all over it. (I know it's hard to see in the pics) The lining is regular cotton with stripes. I added lots of pockets to the inside, one on the outside to hold my buisness cards, and one on the inner strap to hold my sunglasses. I also put a little loop on the side for my keys (I'm always fumbling for my keys, so this helps me out a lot) I'm thinking about adding a little owl applique to the front of it, where the little kitty button is now. I think it needs something more, but other than that, I couldn't be more thrilled with how it came out. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010 08:38:24 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never Grow a wishbone, daughter, where a backbone oughta be." -Clementine Paddleford
optimizt
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2004 11:45:12 AM »

I made my bag this past weekend.  My camera's not working right now, or I would post a pic, but I wanted to share a blunder that turned into a blessing. 

When I was sewing the lining pieces together I forgot to leave the hole in the bottom so that I could turn it right side out.  I hate picking stiches out (my grandmother was one of those measure twice, cut [sew] once, people, and said that it weakened the fabric to pick seams) so I tried to figure out how to fix it.  What I ended up doing was this.  When I went to sew the outside of the bag to the lining (the first part of step 9 in the tutorial) I only sewed 3/4 of the way around and then used that hole to turn it right side out.  Then I pinned the edges down into the seam and sewed a topstitch all the way around the top for a little reinforcement, catching the edges that I'd tucked in while doing so.  I think it ended up with a little more finished look rather than having a seam that's either hand sewn or looks somewhat inside out...

Let me know if that makes sense at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2004 12:18:55 PM »

That makes sense. I love it when you mess up and it works out better. Every mistake has in it the seeds of a greater blessing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemonster184
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2004 09:22:35 PM »

Help Huh I hav some stuff that i would like to show ppl but i can't figure out how to show it to ya'll help me please if u want to u can sand me an e-mail at cookiemonster184@hotmail.comor 83@yahoo.com">cookiemonsterrocks1 83@yahoo.com

thanks and hav a nice day.
   Person how needs lotz of help. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shawna Marie
Patty1h
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2004 01:03:16 PM »

See all these beautiful bags inspired me to go to my local fabric store and pick up supplies to make my own.  I'm a fairly new sewer and this is the first time I've actually purchase fabric for a project.  At the store, I wandered around in a daze, trying to find the perfect fabrics for my creation.  To be on the safe side, I got 2 yards of the outer fabric and 1 yard for the lining.  I also purchased 1 yard of interfacing and 4 spools of thread.  My total was $40.00!   

When I told my sister, she said I could have bought 4 tote bags in our neighborhood.    She's right. 

Was anyone else's supplies that much of a drain on the pocket?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2004 03:43:16 PM »

of course supplies cost that much.............if you're just buying brand new nonsale fabric from a fabric store. i only ever shop in fabric stores for emergency thread runs or if i need very specific fabric on short notice.

thrift stores, baby. thrift stores and the remnants bin if you absolutely have to buy from a fabric store. and the sale section. sure, there are very few blatantly attractive fabrics that are $1 or $2 a yard, but coming up with ways to get the most out of them or to make them look Good as opposed to "no wonder they're on sale" is part of the fun of being a craftster.

it's all about letting the materials inspire the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
Treasure Cat
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2004 02:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!  Here's my messenger bag... all made with thrift store fabric.  I loooove the lining fabric, but I thought it was a bit too busy to use on the outside for an "everyday" kind of bag.  I put three pockets on the inside.  One is for lipgloss... one is for pencils/pens... and the third one in velcroed and can be used for whatever.  It's big enough for textbooks and I used heavy interfacing.

The inside:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2004 12:06:04 PM »

I like it! Thats a wonderful bag. I especially love the liner and all the pockets. That is a delicious print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mediadiva
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2004 02:00:08 PM »

love all the iterations on this including the awsume computer bag version of it.

Could I make a quilted version of this? I like bags that stay up on their own maybe if I quilted it with the batting would add some thickness, and I could make a cardboard fabric covered bottom like the vera bradleys have to make them stay up straight and have a flat bottom.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hayz
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2004 06:33:39 AM »

i really like this
itd be perfect for my sister for college...and wud make a groovy xmas prezzie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

handmade ballet flats

my etsy - http://www.footloosefancyflats.etsy.com
my web - www.footlooseandfan cyflats.com (under construction)
myspace -
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Up a Portrait Photo Shoot
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...