A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: messenger bag with gusset tutorial  (Read 503258 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial , featured_project , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: February 12, 2004 07:31:20 PM »

hi everyone:
i love reading the step-by-step projects on this site, so thought i'd post one of my own.  this is intended as a sort of companion piece to Jordy's square bottom lined bag tutorial.  this is for a messenger-style bag with a flap and long strap and a gusset (inset fabric on sides and bottom).  Here's a photo of the completed bag:

And here are the instructions...

1. Cut out your fabric.  The photo below shows the pieces you need.  From top to bottom: cut 1 "flap" of fabric and 1 of lining; cut 2 "front and back" of fabric and 2 of lining; cut 3 "gusset" sections from fabric and 3 from lining (two gussets are the same size, and one is slightly smaller, for the bottom of the bag); cut 1 "strap" from fabric and 1 from lining.  The dimensions of the pieces should be the finished dimensions (see below) plus 1" for seam allowances.

2. If you're using interfacing, sew or iron it on first - to each of the pattern pieces.  I ironed mine on to the lining, since I used kind of a thin cotton for the lining and it needed some toughening up.

3. Sew the 3 gusset pieces together at the short ends, with one long section on each side of the shorter section.  You should have one long strip of fabric with two seams.  Press the seams open.

4. Pin the gusset to one of the "front and back" pieces (which are identical at this point).  Here's what it should look like:

Pin the corners first: the way to do this is to clip the gusset seam a bit and pin it to the fabric like so:

Pin the rest of the gusset on and stitch; trim the seam and clip the corners.  Stitch the gusset onto the other "front and back" section in the same way.  Here's what it looks like when both sections are pinned/stitched to the gusset - you can see the bag starting to take shape:

Turn the bag rightside out when both sides are stitched, and press seams.

5.  Next you're going to make the flap that attaches onto the front of your bag.  First, attach one half of a magnetic snap to the lining.  Pin the fabric and lining flap sections together and sew around three edges, leaving one long edge open.  Trim seam, turn rightside out, and press.  Sew optional trim around the edges.  Here's what it looks like when finished:

Attach other half of magnetic snap to bag front:

Pin the flap to the back of the bag, right sides together:

6. Pin strap and lining sections together and stitch along long edges.  Trim seam, turn righside out, and press.  Topstitch along both edges.  Pin the strap to the gusset sections, right sides together:

7. I made two interior pockets - cut four rectangles from the lining material.  Pin two pieces together for each pocket, sew around the edges, and leave a small opening for turning. Trim seams, turn, and press.  Pin the pockets to the "front and back" lining sections.  I made one a pen and pencil holder (in photo on right) and one is a regular pocket with a Velcro closure (in photo on left).

Topstitch around edges of each pocket; topstitch in 1-1/4" rows for pen holder.

8. Prepare gusset lining sections same as for main bag.  The only difference is that you should leave an opening in one side to turn the bag rightside out.  Here's a photo of the bag lining stitched together with the opening in the bottom:

9. Pin lining and bag together at top edges, with bag inside lining and right sides together.  Stitch top edges together, trim seam, and turn rightside out through hole in bottom. Here's a photo of the bag after turning:

Press the top edges of bag, and sew up the hole in the lining.  Push the lining down into the bag, and press the top edge again.  Topstitch around top edge of bag, and voila!

This particular bag's finished dimensions are: 13" long, 10"wide, and 2 1/2" deep.  The strap is 48" long and the flap is 7 1/2" long.  You can make this bag any size you want, of course.  This size can hold a good amount of stuff without feeling too bulky:

Any questions, please let me know - and I hope this is interesting/helpful!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 07:31:00 AM by gloriana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004 07:35:57 PM »

that's a great bag!!!   Grin

also a really good tutorial.  now, if only I had a sewing machine here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004 07:36:42 PM »

OMGosh!!!!  thank you for posting this awesome pictoral tutorial!!!!!!  i've been wanting to do this type of bag, but wasn't sure what the easiest method was.  i've sewn one by hand once & it was a pain, but it turned out great.  i really, really love this bag!!!!!  i can't wait to try it!  i think the directions are great.  thank you!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004 07:49:22 PM »

youre so great!...another bag to make...yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
Amalia
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004 08:06:14 PM »

Adorable bag!! i also love the mojo magazine with bowie on the cover. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.
sallysparks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004 09:04:50 PM »

Excellent tutorial and super cute bag, too!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004 09:12:53 PM »

awesome tutorial! i recently bought a pattern, and leanred how to do this, but you make it look easier then what i went through! (i think it was harder, because i put piping in it... but i love piping!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004 09:43:23 PM »

i love piping too - in fact, I was thinking about putting some around the flap - which would look very cute.  glad y'all are finding this helpful!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
kassandra
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004 03:01:34 AM »

That is so great. I have made messenger bags but without heaving PLAN ( It was complete chaos Grin) Your tutorial will make me little more organized (I hope)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hijole

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004 06:14:04 AM »

Thanks for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playful Polish in a Giulietta Dress
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
The Debutante Ball 2013: Party at the Automobile Club in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...