A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OH No! I need help with transfer!  (Read 448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katchoo1
« on: September 11, 2008 04:28:20 PM »

I'm working on part of a project that is for someone else, and part of it has already been stitched.

The problem is that as I was doing the iron on transfer for my bit of the project, I didn't realize my elderly blind dog had wandered into the room until he walked into the ironing board, causing the iron and my transfer to slide a bit.  now there is a lighter double impression in the area I had intended to leave white, and I'm pretty sure the transfer won't wash out (it's an Aunt Martha and I've tried to wash out a messed up one in the past on one of my own towels.)  I also don't want a patch of lighter fabric on this item and there is already embroidery on it so I don't want to risk messing up the other parts too.  I'm thinking about trying to fill in the parts I was going to leave white but I am inexperienced with filler stitches and am not sure what approach to take.

Here's what the transfer looks like right now:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/argh.jpg

Oh expert embroiderers, how would you fix this?  You're my only hope!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
bookwormbethie
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008 05:20:16 PM »

If, and only if, your fabric is white, try dumping (gently) rubbing alcohol over the entire pattern.  But be careful, since you mentioned you have embroidered other places on the fabric.  I have no idea if rubbing alcohol would bleach out your thread colors.  Rinse thoroughly, handwash with some detergent (or toss in laundry if you have laundry to do, then put in dryer or air dry.  I have successfully used rubbing alcohol a couple of times (one very sad time it did not work). 

Other people on this board have mentioned the clorox and tide to go bleach pens.  I do not have experience using these but people seem to have gotten positive results. 

I hope you can rescue your project!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 05:28:57 PM by bookwormbethie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mwagen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008 06:34:08 AM »

Maybe you could try leaving it in the sun? UV light tends to fade things
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008 08:41:03 AM »

I'd say bleach, if your towel is white. Otherwise, sometimes if I just iron over my transfers that have been done with a Sulky pen the pattern fades. It doesn't go totally away, but it fades a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008 11:11:38 AM »

that is true, why is it that you can iron over a freshly done iron on pattern and it fades?!?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katchoo1
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008 03:58:44 PM »

I tried ironing over it and it seems to have faded it quite a bit.  I used a dry iron and ironed it from the back with the transfer side down on an old dark tee shirt.  I could see that some of the transfer came off on the tee shirt and it does seem to have faded a good deal.  Hopefully the combination of bright colored stitching and fading over time with washing will get rid of the extra marks.

Man I've been stressing about this.  Just gotta start stitching now & hope for the best.

Thanks for your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backgammon Opening Position
How to Play Backgammon: Rules
How To Make a Memorial Vase Arrangement
How To Make a Bow Using Double Face Wired Ribbon
How To Make a Monument Saddle Arrangement
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...