A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: roman goddess dress needed  (Read 1135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*bella donna*
« on: February 24, 2005 11:12:14 PM »

ok girls...(and a couple of guys too) I know this is a little weird since it's not even March yet, but I have this costume party I'm going to in about a month and I really want to be a roman goddess. I saw Angelina Jolie in Alexander and then I watched Troy - and the cltohes are just gorgeus! and since I'm crafty (and broke) I don't want to dish out fifty bucks for a mass reproduced one. Plus making your own is so much more fun. I found this dress which I really love (except for the hole tummy showing thing, I'll probably close up that whole - I'm really more of a leg girl)...

...but now I have no idea how to make it. Any suggestions?

or if you guys have links to other patterns that would work for this project, or just anything that you think might help that would be great. Thanks so much
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 02:23:37 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my world: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mmcamilleri/
I'm thinking it's a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images and when we kiss they perfectly align.
kristiface
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005 11:23:44 PM »

I did this for halloween a million years ago.  Think toga!  I just used a huge white sheet, gold ribbon and safety pins for a temporary outfit.  I'm sure you could make it leggy and a-symmetric just by playing with a huge piece of fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Shmooey
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005 10:09:40 AM »

If you really wanna stand out at your party, do NOT do a toga...  unless youve got the right material and can properly wrap and clasp it. Biesdies, women never ever wore togas.

I actually studied the antiquities for a long time, and ive got a book called: Costumes of the greeks and romans.  Ill see if i cant get my scanner up and working, and ill scan you the drawings i have.

Generally, the gods were dressed as the subjects were- so if you want to be a roman godess, all you would have to do is look wealthy. There isnt really a whole lot of visual differences.

So really it depends on what you want to do. Are you going for authentic, or sultry? Certainly, youd have the sumptuousness of the greeks with thin and flowy fabrics against your skin, but they really wouldnt be revealing otherwise.  I have a couple of ideas in mind of what you could do, but it depends on what your looking for. Let me know and ill try and blow the dust off my scanner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: Determining Foot Ring Size When Trimming
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...