A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: weaving of baskets! Does this even go here?  (Read 1002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenporcelaindoll
« on: September 11, 2008 03:24:02 PM »

Being the sort of person to take things slow and easy (what?  Stop laughing!)  I found myself... volunteered... to make a cornucopia full of goodies for the Autumn equinox for work.  I will be making the goodies, and making the basket.

Have been experimenting on ways to make the basket for a week or so now without success.  I can make a lovely, long, tightly-woven cone-shaped basket, but CANNOT make it curved.  The damn thing either collapses, or the supporting sticks snap, or something else goes horribly wrong.

Camera is borked so cannot post pictures of ACTUAL examples. but so far I tried...

Taking 11 long, straight, thin and bendy twigs, fixing the ends around a plate and then tying together at the top, weaving through with a straw-based twine and trying to bend after completion.  (FAIL)

Taking 11 long, straight, thin and bendy twigs, fixing to a flower pot (so they were supported for longer) and weaving, then using a vice and some string to bend the tip around and weaving about in this shape (FAIL)

Attaching the twigs to increasingly small thing wooden circles, attaching the circles in suc a way as to encourage bending (FAIL BEFORE I EVEN STARTED WEAVING)

Currently trying to use alternate periods of soaking and drying in compressed conditions to make the twigs somehow magically curly before I start assembling the basket.

Have looked online and there appears to not be a single damn tute for this anywhere, unless I want to make a fake one with papier mache.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Anyone else tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
henofthewoods
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008 08:36:06 AM »

I haven't ever managed to make a basket, they slip around too much. Another craftster posted about "allfiberarts.com" on a different thread and they have basketmaking links. Maybe that will help?

(Or use a lot of wire and cover it over to cheat.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Dialogue in a Film Script
How to Recognize Reality TV Editing Tricks
Nuke The Fridge
How to Notice TV Editing Tricks
How to Join a Reality Competition Show
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...