A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I can't see!  (Read 2636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008 11:23:57 PM »

You could always buy floodlighting.  They take high wattage bulbs!!

BTW DogGrrl, is that a Cavi I can see in that Fire Truck???!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008 05:52:51 AM »

You could always buy floodlighting.  They take high wattage bulbs!!

BTW DogGrrl, is that a Cavi I can see in that Fire Truck???!?

Floodlights - that is a great idea!  I am going to have to try that!

Oh and yes queenofdiy, that is my Monkey boy visiting his dad at work!  Is that your Cav in your avatar?  Too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrgrita
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008 07:58:49 AM »

I would do this:

You'd need three pieces of wood
Screws or brackets at the arrows
and a long light fixture
BUT you could see!!!
~margarita

ps. Son't worry. That's just light, not worms flying at you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008 08:00:45 AM by mrgrita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008 09:20:54 AM »

Great little light to help at your sewing machine directly!

If the readers do not yet know of this web site, you should!  It is a GREAT online resource for sewing needs.

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com/sewing/specials/new_items.html

If you scroll down toward the bottom of the first page you will see NEW Bendable Bright Light  these pages are updated often so if you are reading this in several weeks it may not be there.  But you can go here (cost more from this site) http://www.bendablebrightlight.com/

If you keep scrolling you will see that there is a Extra Mounting Kit for The Bendable Bright Light that allows you to take this light from your machine and attach it to another machine or other item, with ease.

In regards to lighting work area.  The light is a task light and should not be situated to hang over you bent head.  The light needs to be over the item you are working on at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mae6233

www.mapple6233.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008 09:30:36 AM »

sometimes I use my petzl zipka headlamp. It does help. I don't care if it looks stupid. lol
But seriously speaking, nothing compares to natural light when doing your crafts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homer: Every time I learn something new, a little of the old gets pushed out of my brain. Remember that time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive?
Marge: You were drunk!
Homer: And how.

http://www.littleginger2005.multiply.com
panul
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008 09:55:42 AM »

Mrgrita, I am so glad you told me those aren't worms. The last thing I need when I'm sewing is little wiggly things all over the place.  Cheesy And your idea of creating a frame over the table and suspending a light there is interesting, but since it would mean I couldn't use it for other kinds of crafts, (especially those that require standing at the table) which I do from time to time, I hesitate to do it.
I certainly agree with mae6233 about natural lighting, but it's hard to order that up on demand. Today is sunny and my sewing area is much lighter and easier to work in.
The little Ottlite I have works very well as a task light. It is the general lighting of the room that needs augmenting. So that bendable light, though it looks very nice, wouldn't help.
 I am hoping to get to Ikea soon and see what they have. The place is so huge and I have been there so seldom that I hate to go by myself and am hoping one of my daughters is free to go with me. It's wonderful, though, that they have such good motorized carts there and so my mobility problems shouldn't be a factor.  Smiley
Once again, many thanks to all you wonderful Craftsters for your expertise and concern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008 01:29:34 PM »

Don't forget when you're at Ikea that it takes almost no skill and about 2 dollars to turn a ceiling fixture into a wall mounted light. I found a really great Ikea fixture a couple of years ago that had halogen bulbs and was movable and awesome but it was supposed to be ceiling mounted. My husband showed me how to wire it with a cord for a wall switch and it's ridiculously easy. I love that light and halogens might be a good way to increase your light.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008 01:48:56 PM »

Oh and yes queenofdiy, that is my Monkey boy visiting his dad at work!  Is that your Cav in your avatar?  Too cute!

He's gorgeous.  Yes, I have a Cavi too - his name is Boston.  So cheeky!!!  But too cute! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008 06:44:23 PM »

Here's what I did for extra lighting: I got one of those swinging arm lamps (a cheapie one from the thrift store) that screw clamps to a desk or table & my DH drilled a hole in the corner of my table & we seperated the lamp from the screw part & put it in the hole. Now whenever I need lighting, I just move the lamp to where I need it. Because it extends, I've even used it away from my work area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panul
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008 12:01:31 PM »

Well, my daughter and I went to Ikea and looked through all they had available. It was hard to find anything that would accomodate a higher wattage bulb, so I had a rethink and decided to go with several lower ones. It may not give me the "operating theater" lighting I would like to have, but really that might even be too much light and be just as exhausting as too little.
So here's what I got.

You can see the clamp lamp over on the left hand side. It has a wing nut to make sure it is really securely clamped, which I really appreciate. Then over to the right is a two bulb wall fixture. Today is another cloudy day (September gets like that) and if you compare this with the photos from my first post, you can see that the lighting is better than it was. Not a lot, maybe, but some.
And it cost me less than $30!
Thank you again for all your suggestions and encouragement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Mortal Instruments Book Trailer
Brian Billick Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
James Marcus Bach Talks About Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Jeffrey Deaver Talks About Roadside Crosses
Robert Englund Reveals His Favorite TV Shows
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...