A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I can't see!  (Read 2407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

panul
« on: September 11, 2008 09:16:15 AM »

This particular problem might be completely alien to most of you young Craftsters, but I'm hoping someone will have a good idea to help me. I live in a very small apartment and have dedicated a section of my (not very big) bedroom to my crafts, which occupy a lot of my day. The frustration for me is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get enough light into my sewing area to accomodate my aging eyes.

This is my sewing area. As you can see I have a 13 watt tabletop Ottlite that I use to supplement the sewing machine's highly inadequate bulb. The only other lighting in the room is a pole lamp with a 50-100-150 three way bulb that I, of course, set to 150.

This shot is to show you there is no extra floor space in my sewing corner to fit in another lamp. I can't hang anything from the (very high) ceiling, since they seem to have used some kind of metal or something else impenetrable, presumably for fireproofing.
I am quite at a loss as to what else I can do. And on cloudy days like today it is extremely hard for me to work in there. Do any of you brilliant Craftsters have anything to suggest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008 09:18:27 AM »

Can you fit in a bright lamp with a downward facing part?

Like this, I mean: http://www.target.com/Combo-Task-Floor-Lamp/dp/B000GOW13Y/qid=1221149988/ref=br_1_15/602-4100724-5523825?ie=UTF8&node=3071031&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Does it help to use brighter and/or full spectrum bulbs?

I just got my first reading glasses. Le sigh.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 09:20:59 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008 09:24:48 AM »

would there be room for those clip-on desk lamps on either your desk or the shelf above it?
I find daylight simulation bulbs a must for my crafting spot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
bezoona
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008 09:25:10 AM »

Can you clip lights on to the shelving unit you have on the left? you can even drill it into the wood, maybe a set of 4 or 5 track lights?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008 09:26:07 AM »

Since your book case is so close to your sewing table, you could try a clamp light like this:

http://www.target.com/Clamp-on-Lamp-Clear-Shade/dp/B000BPAZMC/sr=1-2/qid=1221150125/ref=sr_1_2/601-4119831-6149714?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Aclamp_light&page=1

They're available at most big box stores (e.g. Target & Wal Mart), or you can usually find a more utilitarian version at Home Depot or Lowes.  They can usually accommodate an 100 watt bulb. 

This is, of course, assuming floor space is your only issue and that you have an ample supply of wall outlets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008 09:27:04 AM »

Maybe wear a lamp? http://www.rei.com/category/4500596
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
MollyMillions
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008 09:27:28 AM »

Can you get lighting that you could mount on the wall or side of your bookshelf? A row of lightbulbs set into a backboard, like a vanity-type thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panul
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008 09:28:03 AM »

Thanks, batgirl,  for your rapid reply! That lamp is the exact one I have, and I've tried moving it, and it just doesn't fit.
P.S. Cool also that the first answer is from someone living so near me. I think you have even met my daughter, Pinfish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008 09:29:24 AM »

Not to be utterly depressing, but when was the last time you had your eyes checked? The first sign of cateracts (long before they are visible in the eye) is a feeling of everything is just not bright enough. I learned this recently as my mother was diagnosed with an early stage cataract in one eye. Granted her doctor told her it would probably be a couple years before it affected her much & surgery would be needed but in the meantime she would find herself wanting more light for any focused task.

Wall mounted lights might help, sconces you can aim down at your work space & won't require more hardware to hang than a painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008 09:30:16 AM »

stylish  Wink I sat embroidering one night with a bicycle lamp tucked down the front of my top  Cheesy it did the trick *lol*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Soup
Puff Pastry Coins - Presenting and Cutting
Puff Pastry Coins - Adding the Filling
How to Make Puff Pastry Coins
Cuts of Beef from the Sirloin and Tenderloin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...