A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i want this skirt badly  (Read 1035 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2005 07:14:06 PM »

so i found this skirt on delias.com heres the link http://www.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=450&itemID=43953
 and i really want to make this skirt for spring because a)  i have never really worn skirts before and b) because it caught my eye... but the problem is  i have no idea where to start ...so crafty craftsters out there, any suggestions or help you can offer me would be awesome .like for starters if i was to walk into a fabric store.. what kind of fabric should i get(what kind of material) .. i want it to be the same colour as the picture and also does anyone know of any patterns that would match this skirt.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005 07:19:55 PM by stunnedbannana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristiface
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005 07:26:33 PM »

Well, according to the website, it's made of a rayon fabric.  You could probably find a book with basic directions about pinning and sewing pleats; and it says it's 19" in length for a medium size.  That's probably all the basic info you'd need to start with!  Good luck, it's very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
stunnedbannana
I love mixed media and all things vintage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005 07:36:40 PM »

woops i totally missed that info lol but thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fl_mariposa
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005 01:12:59 PM »

You need stretchy fabric-the delias one is a knit. If you don't use stretchy fabric, you'll have to put in a zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
shinycopperpenny
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005 05:14:28 PM »

that is a cool skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fruithead
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005 05:18:26 PM »

that skirt is great. if you figure out how to make it, be sure to post a tutorial.
you could always find a pattern for a pleated skirt similar to that then add on the belt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cats_pajamas
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005 05:30:53 PM »

The fabric is a knit, so it is strechy. (knit is like tee-shirt fabric) knits are very common so you should be able to find it in a similar color, if not, then dye some white (if you dye it, it has to be cotton or it won't take the dye) at the fabric store look through the pattern catologs for a pleated skirt, add lenth, and no flare. or look for  pencil skirt, and add pleats. if you are new to sewing, take a comunity ed class so you know what you are doing.
hope that helps! i cant wait to see it when your done! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005 06:22:54 PM »

well, i can tell you how i would go about it if it would be any help. for the waist band, measure where it would go on your waist. that measurement would be your length. make the width 4 to 5 inches. cut 2.  for the tie part, take your previous length and add 20 inches, make your width 2 to 3 inches. cut 2. for the pleats, they don't look too deep, so take your original length, and add 1/2 to 3/4 (for shallow pleats, double the legnth or more for deeper pleats). decide width. cut 1.  i would then sew the bottom of the waist to the top of the tie, and the pleats. leave the bottom of the tie free. hem the skirt.   hope that made sense. be careful when sewing this type of material, stretching it as you sew will cause it to ruffle. 

a good way to determine how much fabric length you'll need for your pleats is to take a piece of the fabric, make 2 to 3 pleats that you like and measure it, say 6 inches. your waistband is say 36 inches, so you'll need 6 of your practice pleats (at 6 inches) to fit your skirt. unfold your pleats and measure how much fabric was used, say 11 inches. 11x6=66, so you'll need 66 inches for your length to obtain the pleats you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zoe FitzGerald Carter Talks About Imperfect Endings
Hunts the Cool Book Trailer
Meet Author Richard Madeley
Stefanie Wilder-Taylor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
S. E. Cupp Talks About Losing Our Religion
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...