A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloth-covered-ball necklace? EDIT: PHOTO ADDED  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chaoticpassion
« on: September 10, 2008 12:55:14 PM »

Let's see if anybody knows what I'm talking about.

A while ago, I bought a necklace that looked relatively easy to make. It was a series of lightweight balls (about half a pin-pong ball's size), each wrapped in one type of fabric, and woven together into a necklace. It looked like the fabric was fastened together between the balls with a small clear band.

Has anybody seen one of these that they can link me to?

Or, better yet, tell me how to make them?

I loved that necklace but I'd like to use some of my own fabrics to make more.

Edit: Here's a photo, in case anybody still has no idea wtf I'm talking about  Huh

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 11:55:56 AM by chaoticpassion - Reason: Photo added » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my site at www.mybunnygoboom.c om
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008 01:46:28 AM »

i've made one of these, i'd link you to a pic but my bandwidth has exceeded. I just cut a long strip of fabric, about 3 or 4 inches wide (width should depend on the size of your beads/balls), wrapped it around my first ball and tied up both ends(looked kinda like a wrapped sweetie). elastic bands would be easier, i tied wool in bows between my balls. Then just carry on all the way around until you reach desired length. To finish, I left about 5 inches of spare fabric on the end, and just started wrapping it around my first ball, and securing it, and did that for a few balls, so it was secure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chaoticpassion
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008 10:05:27 AM »

Ooh okay.

What balls did you use? I have no idea where to find light ones like that, because I'm sure they're sold for something completely opposite of necklace-making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008 10:30:17 AM »

I've seen something similar made with marbles and a scarf.  Very heavy!  But they made a tube of fabric, slid in the marbles and tied the tube between them, then tied the ends together.  I've also seen something similar where they slid pony beads onto the tube between beads.   Styrofoam balls would be lighter and come in more sizes, you could probably just wrap the fabric into a tube instead of sewing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chaoticpassion
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008 11:57:36 AM »

Hmm. Marbles could work for a bracelet, but I agree with you, they'd be way to heavy for a necklace.

I edited to include a photo of my store-bought one. Styrofoam could work, it just might not be the longest-lasting necklace I own. I'll give it a shot, it's cheap anyway so what do I have to lose?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008 11:40:21 AM »

You could use big wooden beads if you want something a bit sturdier than styrofoam that wasn't as heavy as glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008 08:35:42 AM »

I used wooden beads. I had different sized ones, so it graduated from being small around the neck to big ones at the bottom to weigh it down.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

polyphony
Shamelessly promoting Peace, Love & Happiness through Crafting!

A Contra Costa Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008 12:20:24 PM »

I just bought several sizes of wood beads from WoodWorks for this. Actually, I bought little wooden balls (undrilled) to do this version and some with big (3/8") holes to do the version where each bead is covered individually and then strung (on ribbon or something). I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, though.

If Dolly Mixx's pictures are any indication the wood balls will work just swell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chaoticpassion
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008 02:23:16 PM »

I finally gave it a shot, but I used two types of fabric sewn together in a tube. A white thermal with tiny red cherries on the top, and a red fabric on the bottom. I'm not sure I really love the results, I'd probably use just one fabric for the future.

Also, using elastic string wasn't too fun. I'm sure it would be easier with those little clear hair ties, the kind that are used for cornrows. That way you could just loop it over like a ponytail, rather than tying anything. And it's probably more secure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aqua Di Lara 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Caffe 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Kooey 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Nicolita 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Poko Pano 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...