A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Why party hats?  Today, we officially welcome our newest Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss to the team!  If you see them on the boards, congratulate them!
Total Members: 305,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My So Called Scarf & Cross-Hat-ch  (Read 21052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2005 06:58:58 PM »

Anyone want to knit along with me on the "My So Called Scarf" and matching hat, "Cross-Hat-ch?"  Links to pictures & patterns (free!) of these are:
Scarf
Hat *no longer available* (04/05)

I am going to use Lion Brand Landscapes yarn in Rose Garden - it is gorgeous (if you like pink)!

The MSCS pattern calls for Manos del Uruguay, but Lion's Brand Landscapes will make a fine substitution if you want to save a few bucks (I do).  I got 6 balls, at 55yds each, and hopefully that will be enough.

Anyhow, let me know if you want to knit along. 

*edit* The hat pattern is now being published, so it's no longer available until it comes out in Creative Knitting in Jan.'06.  Poo.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005 12:21:09 PM by crabby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blumunchie
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005 11:21:02 AM »

Ooh.. I just finished making the cross-hat-ch in landscape rose garden last weekend. It's so pretty. Fits sorta like a cloche cuz the end is a little up-turned.. so you get that bell shape hat that alot of people love. It's a relatively easy knit, except my fingers were aching by the time I got to the top of the crown shaping. You'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005 06:07:37 PM »

Hey crabby!  I have such a long "to-knit" list, but the scarf you are making is on it!  I would love to make this scarf with you, but I have a few sweaters calling my name at the moment.  I may join later, though! 

If you want to go all out with the landscapes yarn, you could do a matching ragbag to go with your scarf and hat set.  They are super easy and fun to make!  The best thing is... they only take 1 skein of landscapes yarn!  You've probably already seen them, but here's the link just in case: http://www.knitblog.com/onmymind/Rag%20Bag%20Pattern.gif  I made mine with the "autumn trails" (i think) landscapes.  I LOVE the way it came out!

Also, I havent' done a ton of research, but if you wanted to do the Manos del Uruguany yarn, 2 skeins roughly equals the same amount I would have to pay (locally) for 6 skeins of landscapes.  I'm really anxious to knit up something with the uruguany yarn, though.  I may join ya sooner than later!  I'm such a knitting addict!

Happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005 06:01:48 PM »

Blumunchie - have you posted pics of your Cross-Hat-ch anywhere?  I would love to see it.  Pleeeeease!

Atouria - thanks for the link to the ragbag - very cute!  I just may have to add that to the list and make myself a cute little set.  And I know - I am dying to work with Manos, too.  The next time I make this scarf (which will be soon!), I'll use it for sure.

I posted a WIP picture on my blog if anyone is interested   Wink  (see my signature).  Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005 08:03:30 PM »

Ummm.. ya know what crabby?  I think I like your version's colors better than the color way of the manos...  I love that stitch pattern.  Your progress is lookin great!  One day when i revamp/ work on my blog.. I'll post my ragbag.  I Love the way it turned out!

Can't wait to see you modeling the finished product!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005 10:00:57 AM »

Well, I'm one ball in and stuck waiting for the rest of my yarn order (dang JoAnn's!).  So here's the updated WIP:        
It's about 14" so far.  I'm still loving it!  I put another picture on my blog (if you want to see my cat giving me a heart attack - he snuck right in there!).  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 10:05:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vysews
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005 06:15:15 PM »

Well, I'm one ball in and stuck waiting for the rest of my yarn order (dang JoAnn's!).  So here's the updated WIP:

Congrats! It looks fabulous thus far. I really love this pattern stitch. I'm dying to do this is a variegated yarn, but have too many things on my "to do" list. I did make it in Plymouth's Brushed baby alpaca in winter white, and it looks really great in a solid too. I messed up one of the stitches (I think I didn't pass something over), but was able to camouflage that by sewing a stitch on over it after the fact (kinda like a duplicate stich, I guess). I had made it for my sister, but it was so hard to give it up!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005 07:41:45 PM by vysews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sivi
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005 07:28:19 PM »

Its so pretty.  I noticed in your blog you mentioned that you figured out how to alter a pattern to your preference.  I have not figured it out.  Do you mind sharing some tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Britty

Boo is the Greatest!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005 06:46:10 AM »

Hey Everyone,
Crabby you are doing a wonderful job.  I was interested in making this scarf as well.  I found it on the internet a week ago...like some other people here i am also awaiting to get paid.  What gauge are u working with? 
Britty Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005 10:25:25 AM »

Its so pretty. I noticed in your blog you mentioned that you figured out how to alter a pattern to your preference. I have not figured it out. Do you mind sharing some tips.
I altered the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers to include a regular cable instead of the vine and leaf pattern.  So, on the second dpn, instead of following the chart I did a simple 6x6 front cross cable with the instructions I found in the original SnB book.  I'll post a pic of the finished armwarmers soon!

What gauge are u working with?
Britty Wink
Well, since this is a scarf and I didn't really care how wide it was, I didn't even make a gauge swatch.   Shocked  I know - what a sin!  The label for Landscapes says 11sts and 14 rows = 4" with size 13 needles.  I am using size 11's, and I like how the pattern is working.  If I could go back and change anything, I'd CO fewer stitches and make the scarf a little more narrow (but not by all that much).  You can make this scarf with worsted wt yarn, too.  See this link for a cool example.  Show us your results if you make one!

BTW - I am STILL waiting for my yarn.  I'm never shopping at JoAnn's again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Mix and Bake a Turkey Filling
How to Sautee the Ingredients for a Turkey Filling
How to Prepare and Peel Chestnuts for a Turkey Filling
How to Prepare Chestnut Turkey Filling
How to Make Garlic and Fresh Basil Hamburgers
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Coffee, the nectar of life!
@Home This Weekend: Expecto Patronum Night Light!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...