A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A new board for medieval and historic crafts  (Read 4718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 10, 2008 02:57:20 AM »

When I just recently submitted an item in a medieval technique (nalbinding), we ended up discussing how difficult it is to find the right board to post our medieval stuff, and how much we'd like to have a board for it.

There are many techniques that could go into it, which are hardly ever used for modern crafts, such like card weaving, nalbinding, sprang weaving etc., and all the medieval and renfair costumes could also be posted there. It would be such a great source of information for people who are interested in historic crafts, and it would make it easier to exchange and discuss knowledge.

I know that right now it might start as a small board, but I from my own experience also know how contagious and addictive historic crafts are - OK, all crafts are Smiley - so I think the board would grow quite rapidly.

The admins have suggested the vintage board as a place for this stuff, but I think the vintage board is for books. What I have in mind is a bit older than 19th or 20th century. On the other hand, a historic board could of course be open for those time periods too, because that's a past one can personally relate to via relatives one knew, or just one or two generations before. I'd love to see stuff like that. But the vintage board looks not inviting for posting finished projects, for the kitschy and somewhat mocking feeling it has. Don't get me wrong, I love the vintage board (I hoard those books myself), but I wouldn't post my medieval garb as something that makes people scream for the pointed use of shape and color (it's actually rather the other way round). It just doesn't feel right.   

I read the thread about a backwards progress board for any knowledge that got lost. I think many of those forgotten techniques like how to make tallow candles could go into a history board as well. I am not so certain about the early electric sewing machines Smiley But maybe I just have to get over the fact that the 20th century is over Smiley

So what do you think about this idea? Let me hear your "Oh, yes, yes, finally"s! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008 08:21:54 AM »

Then let me say: oh yes yes finally! Hehe.

I agree completely that the vintage boards compatibility with historical techniques. In the word vintage is implied that you use something old, sometimes modernize it sometimes not, so that you can use it in your everyday life in present time. Also that vintage has a limit to how far back it goes. Something reproduced from European medieval times is not vintage.

I suggest that it would be a historic board, then there could be subforas for techniques - questions and show off, completed sewn projects, other completed projects.
A split of the completed projects fora is based on what I see here on craftster we have several people sewing costumes and then we people like Ruby and I who also use other techniques. It might not be needed, but just a suggestion Smiley

Thanks for posting Ruby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008 11:18:04 AM »

I still think it would be the coolest thing to have a separate board for historic crafts, but I have some doubts if they will open one for the two of us Smiley On the other hand, there is a board for dyeing which is not that much larger Smiley
Maybe we are very lucky if they give us a small section in the costume board (if there will be one). That's second best, but better than nothing, I guess.
So, admins, please, please, please, we need this board! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008 11:49:21 AM »

Most of these crafts can go in the boards closest to what they are: fiber arts, needlework, clothing, jewelry, household, or if all else fails, miscellaneous. I think having a specific board for medieval crafts would steer them away from people who may not otherwise be exposed to older techniques (for example, modern weavers may love to learn about nalbinding but wouldn't necessarily look in a medieval board for weaving techniques).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 10:21:31 AM »

Hi batgirl

I agree with you that it shouldn't just be a medieval board but a historic board in general. The reason why Ruby and I are convinced that this board is a good idea is that it's different in the way that there is a lot of theory and research behind historic crafts and techniques that can seem somewhat misplaced in the existing boards.

Also many of the medieval crafts I do can be really difficult placing as they are a mixture of often 2-4 different technique boards. Fx. You could ague that needle binding should go in both needlework, fiber arts, knitting and crocheting (I have had the discussion with admin's of the boards about exactly that problem).

On a side note needle binding has nothing to do with weaving Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 10:25:06 AM »

Ah, gotcha!

Embarrassed

See, if it stays in the regular boards I'd be more likely to run across it and learn what it really is!  Wink Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008 11:25:27 AM »

Ah, gotcha!

Embarrassed

See, if it stays in the regular boards I'd be more likely to run across it and learn what it really is!  Wink Kiss

Hehehehe. But if we had a historic board you would know exactly where to go to get to know all the "new", juicy and very interesting crafts Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook page of TMP
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008 11:26:34 AM »

Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008 12:56:21 PM »

I agree with pseudo_pix. A history board would accumulate so much more knowledge. And of course people could still stumble across our posts in "Newest projects", "hot new projects", and "featured projects". Smiley Oh, I think I forgot the "best of craftster" category Smiley
And every time I enter craftster right now, I see my hands holding a nalbinding needle in the latest contest pictures. And I'm still new at craftster. I can think of many more ideas to harass thrill people with historic crafts Smiley Wait, isn't my avatar still crochet? Smiley What?!? Smiley
My point is that I myself wouldn't want the board to get attention for single techniques. All the historic crafters I know all interested in almost everything historic. Of course, if there was a weaver who was only interested in the precedents of her craft, she'd be fine at her board. But I think that such people do not exist. Whoever wants a historic technique will want them all, and that's when a place to connect them all would be such a great thing.
Furthermore, how about the educational aspect? Just imagine one day you find out that all those knitters and crocheters have never heard of sheep. You start posting a bit on the topic and people are fascinated, but entirely clueless ("So cute! I love them! Can you also post pictures of acrylic animals?").   
What do you do now? You have the choice of posting in different boards and explaining the same facts over and over again ("But why 'baa'?") or resign to link them on your previous posts or get a bit short on people who don't deserve it ("BECAUSE!") But still, they want to know, you want to share, want to be inspired ("Anyone in for a moufflon swap?" "ME!ME!ME!")...
Ehm, I realize I am starting to babble... Smiley but do you see my point? Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 01:04:00 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008 02:33:47 PM »

You have a very good point there with the educational part. And not just for adults who can figure out to do a lot on their own but also for the loads of children out there.

I've done a lot of children activities on and outside medieval fairs over the years and actually many of the historic techniques is very useful in the children department. This is of course just me dreaming, but a subfora for children friendly activities would be fun to do. You know, with useful tutorials and pics so any mom can make a fun afternoon with the children or what not. Okay dreaming away here.
Point is historic techniques = educational for everybody Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook page of TMP
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008 03:50:49 PM »

Yes, my contest cozy would be really educational for loads of kids Smiley Smiley Smiley
Sorry about that Smiley Smiley
But you're right, I recently taught my son how to do cardweaving, and he loves it. He likes it more than any craft he's learned so far. OK, he's a nerd Smiley and I told him that crafty people are good at maths, like him (and didn't even bluash Smiley ), and that made it very attractive for him.
But I think no kid can resist the magic of turning a wild bunch of yarn into a pattern  like card weaving does. My son's friend is already begging to get taught, too, and I promised him his own weft (sometimes I can be so daft). The fact that these are things that are not related to school makes them even more attractive. The focus is more on the making and crafting, and less on competition or fulfilling someone else's standards.
But enough off-topic chat. I like the idea of collecting ideas on how to teach or demonstrate historic crafts, that would be great to have in our historic board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008 08:28:06 AM »

Also on a larger scale teaching children a crafts is a mean to teaching history but also reaching those children who has a need for something practical work to learn.

There is nothing more rewording than seeing a child experiencing learning as something positive instead of constant defeats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook page of TMP
Tanna
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008 10:01:06 AM »

i would so totally love a board for historic crafts.... totally yes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008 12:36:58 PM »

As a side note: I would volunteer as moderator if a historic board were to be made. I have gathered quite a bit of knowledge about more than two historic periods and on the sideline I have a very big group of friends who all do reenactment (in different time periods) - from various countries. Many of them have university degrees in history or archeology. So I have a pretty good network for getting new knowledge if needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook page of TMP
seneris

Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008 01:25:28 AM »

I would love a new board for historic crafts! I've spent so much time sifting through all the boards, a new board would make this much easier. I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
lariarocket
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008 09:51:14 PM »

I agree as well. I search and search for all kinds of historical ideas/completed projects/new projects that others have posted and end up coming short. Either there are none or I'm just not finding them.  One place for all that wonderful stuff would be fantastic. My bff would totally agree as well. We're both really into going to ren/medieval faires and checking out reenactments. We're always looking for period techniques and just cool, fun stuff. A whole board dedicated to it would rock my socks off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I don't have no costume, and I don't wear no new clothes...my body just follows wherever my heart goes*

http://my-ocean-view.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/lariarocket
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009 12:44:19 PM »

I was just looking for advice on making tallow candles and came across this thread. I'd love to see a place just for historical projects. I know there are a number of craftsters that I've had a chat with that participate in historical reenactment and so I'm sure that there would be more than a handful that used the board. I know I'd check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morrigan_le_faye
Come to the dark side - we have cookies....

currently obsessed with fibres! :D

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009 11:08:13 PM »

I would love to have such a board, too!  Grin I still have lots of half-finished reenactment projects and they wait to be finished and posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009 07:22:58 PM »

I would also love to see this board happen.  I make and sell historic wood toys.  I go to renaissance faires and mountain man reenactments.  I belong to the local historical society.

I have lots of information to share, but there's really no place to put it right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009 11:18:44 AM »

Since our history board is not in sight yet *sigh*, I was wondering what you'd say about a historic craft-a-long? We could link to complete projects there, and also show off our work in progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morrigan_le_faye
Come to the dark side - we have cookies....

currently obsessed with fibres! :D

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009 12:23:50 PM »

Since our history board is not in sight yet *sigh*, I was wondering what you'd say about a historic craft-a-long? We could link to complete projects there, and also show off our work in progress.

What a wonderful idea! I would definitely join! :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Garam Masala
How to Cook Palak Paneer
Herman Helmers Bakery Nepal
Swordfish at TAO with Chef John Villa
Trio of Crudo at Riva with Chef Jason Travi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...