A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shelf liner & duct tape books! tutorial added!  (Read 2939 times)
Tags for this thread: duct_tape_crafts , book , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwchick
« on: September 09, 2008 08:17:38 PM »

These are some books I made for my boy . . . I had two more but they got lost when we moved!!!!

I took pics of the making of the shape book, so if anyone wants a tut, just let me know! Honestly, the possibilities are endless . .  it doesn't even have to be for children!

Here is my tutorial - first one, so warning in advance, it might be a bit windy, lol.

You will need:

clear sticky shelf liner
scissors or paper trimmer (which works AWESOME)
duct tape (colours are always cool)
cardstock

After you decide what to make a book of, figure out your paper size. I just cut my paper in half width-wise and set up my printer to print as such. You have to make sure that you leave a wide margin for where the pages will be bound. Very important! You can print double-sided, but I would get too confused, lol, so I just print out each side of the "one" page seperately.

When done printing I have a set like this:

my book was lengthwise so my margins are at the top and bottom, but it is fine to make one landscape as well.

So, if you didn't print in colour, colour everything (yay!), or put your kids to work.

get your shelf liner ready . . . cut a piece big enough so it can fold back on itself with some overhand on the sides and lengthwise, about half an inch - like a pocket for the paper. dont worry about cutting straight! Peel off the backing and lay it sticky side up. Now, lay your piece (if you printed double-sided) or pieces (if you printed each side seperately) of paper on the liner with the margined side being where the shelf liner will fold . make sure if you printed each side that your margins are on the same side.

There are two pieces here laying on the shelf paper:

This is very important when it gets to the binding stage . . . you want a straight, consistent edge where the tape will go.

Now to fold: the margined side has a flat fold, the unmargined has the overhang

Now, for me, so I don't get all mixed up with the margins, it helps to lay down everything the same way I want the book to go. One page at a time

You can see here that "circle" is on the back of "triangle"  . . hopefully pic makes more sense of margins than I do

K, now that they are all lined, it is time for the binding. I start with the first pages and work my way to the back, but for a thicker book, you will want to start binding in the middle and work your way forward from the middle, then back from the middle.
Lay your first two pages down against eachother, how they will be bound, then tape them together like this:

The tape also helps to hold everything in place while you are working!

Then, fold the second page over onto the first and line everything up so you have a straight edge again, and get your next piece to tape:

Now continue fighting with the duct tape

When you get to the end, it should look like this:

I put one more piece on the top to cover up everything and trim everything all up. Make sure you leave some overlap of the liner or the book will not be as indestructable.

Be careful with the shelf liner - It loves to pick up any ink and pencil crayon markings so it is not easy to just take it apart if you wrinkle it or something while folding it over. You will have to use a new piece.

So there you have a baby-proof, water resistant book!

I'm working on a vegetable one now. I have made him the shapes one, a fruit one, numbers, and an animal one with an animal for each letter of the alphabet. For that one, I had printed out clipart seperately and glued everything on the cardstock, so that works well too.
I had also made him a small one with photos of his dad (who was a long haul trucker and away all the time) so he could touch the pictures without wrecking them

Man, I am soooo horrible at explaining things - - - why I decided not to be a teacher!!!!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 08:05:57 PM by kwchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't sell my stuff, but become a fan on Facebook!
Shylock_Designs
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008 08:56:50 PM »

How cute. It's great how you can personalize the books this way. If you have the time, I would love to see a tutorial. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
krafty119
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 09:05:11 PM »

That is wonderful! I would take the tut. if you have time!! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the Twiggy Inspired Makeup Look
4 Limited-Edition Lipsticks You Need in Your Makeup Bag
How To Pick The Perfect Summer Foundation
Top Picks For Makeup Removers, Spring Nails and Lasting Eyeshadow
How to Get the Stripe Nail Art Look With Katie Hughes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...