A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,956
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift for my "Granny"  (Read 1067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ILoveBunnies

My bunny is so cute. yep, you're jealous.

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2005 04:50:55 PM »

I want to make something nice for my grandma (we call her "granny", it's kinda corny) but the problem with my family is they don't like anything. I cant think of anything to make for her. I can knit pretty well, Im a beginner sewer Ive tried pretty much everything else at least once (origami, decoupage, macram, etc). I can draw pretty well.

I have a ton of jewelry making supplies but that doesnt really work for her because she likes expensive stuff (you know like pearls and gold ritzy, o la la.)

My granny is kinda... crazy... it's hard to explain. She basically likes shopping, watching TV, eating, expensive art, and Scottie Dogs. I know she can knit and do needlepoint stuff like that - but I don't think she does much of it anymore.

She currently has a pyscho Australian Shepard that is totally out of control. I was thinking I could make dog treats but the dog eats people food (what the hell?) and I doubt it would eat them. And she is really fat (the dog).

I usually buy my family books or CDs, but she's so much older and I'm not sure what she listens to or reads. Plus I want to make her something nice because she's really lonely and depressed. She's old - like 70 or so.

Usually, in a situation like this, I would make cookies - but she's really obese and trying to lose weight so I don't want to make it harder for her. Plus she lives pretty far away so it has to be something that can be mailed.

My other no-fail gift is a scarf but I honestly dont think shed wear it. She lives in Florida so its not like she needs it anyway. Oooh, there is another important one she lives in Florida. Shes kind of into Florida themed junk (like alligators and flamingos).

She also has a pool.

Thats all I can think of. If anyone has any brilliant ideas theyd like to share Ill love you forever. (Okay, not really. But Ill be extremely grateful.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayame
Psycho Jrocker

Hurry up hurry up wrist cut show

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005 07:48:40 PM »

Mayve you could knit her a shawl, for those cold nights (I guess? I don't know how it is in Florida) And maybe some fake but real-looking diamond earrings, and draw some abstract art for her. Give her a card saying "Made in France - Hope you like them". And, maybe include a dog toy that looks like some delicacy (sushi, escargo, etc).
Sorry if I didn't help or was too late   Tongue
~Ayame
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005 07:50:27 PM »

You know how when you were little everyone had those sweaters with scottie dogs on them? Maybe you could do something with that, even if you knit a lap blanket with one in the corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
simply
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005 09:34:36 AM »

assuming that everyone else lives somewhere other than florida ( ar at least not right next door) maybe you could get some family photos together and make her a scrap book? or you could alsways visit/call once a week to talk and let her know she's not forgotten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005 09:57:10 AM »

With older (read richer) relatives it's the thought that counts. What are her tastes in shopping? You could send her little single serving sized chocolates, e.g. a single Godiva Truffle every so often with a 'photo of the month' or even just a note from the family. You could also think about home deco items, rich or lacy pillow covers (with a gift cert for a pillowform at the local craft store) in her favorite colors or in bright cheery spring colors, lampshade, baskets or knicknacks that get replaced seasonally.

If she is very far away, maybe things that she may never have seen before, local candy, authors. Maybe a local artisan (or you) makes something unique to the area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BT
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005 10:16:14 AM »

I certainly understand your dilemma. My husband is the WORST person to buy gifts for. So, I made him a throw pillow for his La-Z-Boy. I got pictures of the grandchildren, cropped them so it was just their faces, turned the pics to sepia, and printed them out on fabric that you can use on your inkjet printer. I satinstitched the pictures to a different fabric and made a pillow out of it. He LOVED it. I'm thinking this would be a great gift for lots of people who are hard to buy for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKN725
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005 07:17:07 PM »

You could make her a neat beach bag to carry all her stuff out to the pool--include a large towel in a matching color. You could even make a nice soft pillow in the bag fabric and a matching bookcover so she can read by the pool in comfort and maybe a paperback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tiki Barber Talks About Tiki
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Motto
Lisa Lampanelli Bares All
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...