A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No-knead to starve in a hurricane  (Read 3952 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque , bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 09, 2008 06:00:18 AM »

Q:What do you do when power is out for days and days and days and there's no more bread? (My husband is diabetic, and we have to keep an even number of carbs per meal, and whole-wheat bread is a staple.)

And of course, since you are out of power due to Gustav the Horrible, all the grocery stores for 100 miles in all directions are also in the dark and anyway, many roads are impassable.

A: You remember how delicious montyfull's no knead bread is and craftily decide to try it on the gas grill outside!

The delicious result:

It works, with these adjustments:
--DO preheat the cast-iron dutch oven. Just be sure to put the dutch oven on the grill before you light the flame so that it heats at the same time as the grill. Even with our house roiling hot, the iron was a good 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air! You wouldn't want to crack your nicely seasoned pot!

--put some distance between the bottom of the dutch oven and the flame. I used, variously, an upside down camp skillet (handle halfway melted...not good), a pot (too far from flame), and a foil-wrapped cake pan, which worked great. (It was one of my good cake pans that I was afraid would get ruined, so I wrapped it.) First loaf, made right on the grill, was burned on the bottom. Oops. We just cut off that part.

THIS loaf was juuuussst right!

--turn your gas on about medium high and leave it there. I think having the grill lid down helped keep the temperature even, so if you have a lid, close it. If you don't, let us know how it turns out! Smiley

--leave your bread in for about 20 minutes with the lid on, then check it every 5 minutes or so until it's a gorgeous crusty light brown.

We had whipping cream, a jar, and and two kids with LOTS of time on their hands, so we started making homemade butter, too. (We had butter, but that would have been just too simple.)

It's not the only crafty thing we did in the dark, but it was by far the most delicious!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 02:06:45 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
MoonChyld3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008 06:31:23 AM »

Wow!! That looks delicious!!!! I might have to try this and I'm not anywhere near stupid Gustav's path Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hoosierbuck
"Daddy go hunting!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 07:38:47 AM »

Atta girl.  Way to be resourceful and self-reliant. 

HB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008 08:53:33 AM »

Love the crafty problem solving! How rewarding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008 09:18:29 AM »

Wow!! That looks delicious!!!! I might have to try this and I'm not anywhere near stupid Gustav's path Smiley

Ditto!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinsNneedles
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008 09:32:40 AM »

Wow that's so resourceful.  I can't imagine losing power for days on end.  Or being anywhere near a hurricane for that matter... Undecided

Great stuff  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008 09:52:43 AM »

That looks delicious!

Fortunately we have a gas stove, so the only huge issue was the lack of groceries and refrigeration (don't even have an ice chest, so i got very used to all things canned). Fortunately, good 'ol Gustav was kind enough to bring cold weather so as to soften the blow of missing a/c.

Kudos on your resourcefulness, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have to do it all over this weekend! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008 12:11:29 PM »

olive_juice, can you believe that weather? It was almost like a cosmic apology for all the wild winds! Smiley Looks like Texans are going to get to take Ike for a spin, and give us a bit of a break!

We had a small generator to run for about 8 hours a day to keep the food in the fridge from totally ruining, but no way was my husband letting me heat up the inside of the house with cooking! Rice, cornbread, EVERYTHING was done on the grill.

pinsNneedles...many of our near neighbors will have no power for another two weeks at least, and for many, that means the wells that supply their houses with water are dead, too. We had it lucky in that we had water, a generator, a gas grill, and crafster inspiration!

I just spent the morning demolishing my minister's wife's craft room/bedroom/2 baths/laundry room...or finishing the demolition. A 70-foot tree did most of it; we just picked up the pieces and got it under about five tarps until they can re-build. They got power last night. Yup, we got it lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
olive_juice
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008 12:40:03 PM »

I hear you about cooking inside! I knew i should have bought a grill long ago, but i'm far too short on cash to afford it now.  Undecided We just locked up the kitchen an entered it as little as possible. It was most certainly a sauna in there. I have relatives still without power, but the stubborn things refuse to go anywhere. tsk tsk tsk. We also made it out unscathed. Few trees lost to the cause but nothing major.

Seeing your handiness with a grill makes me think i should invest in one for such occasions. They do seem to arise more often than they ought. Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Hoosierbuck
"Daddy go hunting!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008 01:40:04 PM »

Or a propane camp stove, it is also portable in case you need to bug out, and cheap!

HB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Courtesan Au Chocolat
Easy Make-Ahead Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
How to Make Decadent Double Chocolate Brownies
How to Make a Ricotta Cheesecake for Date Night
Easy Baked Alaska Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...