A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue Winter 04/05 #23 shawl~collared pullover  (Read 12631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2005 03:25:44 PM »

Here's a link to the issue... http://www.vogueknitting.com/vkm/vkm.html

I am just in love with this sweater!!  I ordred some beautiful yarn from www.theknittinggard en.com in a lovely purple for it.  I'm nearly finished with my hourglass sweater and hope to start this as soon as my yarn arrives.

Is anyone else up for it??  This will only be my 2nd sweater!  The pattern doesn't call for circs, but I would like to convert it to be knit in the round.  Who else wants to join?

You know you want to!!!!  Wink

~atouria

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 11:51:12 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005 03:44:50 PM »

I don't want to do the seed stitch jacket.  I'm asking for people to join a KAL for the pullover by Adrienne Vittadini. #23

The link I posted only sends you to the magazine I see.  I meant for it to take you to the preview.  I'll add an image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trebuchet

I already made infinity of those at scout camp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005 12:10:18 PM »

Oh I'm interested!  I'm trying to decide what to make next and this is on the list.

What yarn are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halfbakedcake
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005 12:29:26 PM »

That would look really nice on my mom. What weight yarn does it use, and on what size needles is it done? I refuse to even consider a project before I know those specifics  Tongue

Oh, and I'd be willing to help convert to circs, b/c I hate seaming with a vengance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my frozen food reviews and see my latest projects at http://www.shescrafty.org
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005 05:30:28 PM »

The gauge is 19 sts & 24 rows per 4" on size 7 needles (or whatever size to obtain gauge).  (This is convient for me because i have 32" and 12" addi turbos in a 7 from my last sweater.)

The yarn weight is aran.  If you look at www.theknittinggard en.com under the yarn tab, you'll see a miscellaneous yarn section.  All the misc yarns are 10% off.  I ordered the Kathmandu aran weight in color 130.  BONUS:  If you sign up for their mailing list, she will email you with a code to get an ADDITIONAL 10% off.. AND you get free shipping after $75.  So I ordered the yarn along with a catalog from Noro and Rowan as well.  I feel like I got a really good deal.  The yarn is 85% merino wool, 10% silk and 5% cashmere.

I'm so excited about this sweater!  I can't wait to get started!  Let me know what yarn  you guys decide on. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005 05:58:43 PM »

I forgot to mention this about the kathmandu yarn...

The gauge they give for it is 4.5 sts per 1", which is 18 sts per 4" on size 8 needles.  I don't know that if it will work out to be exactly 19 sts per 4" on size 7 needles or not.  I have no idea how to do conversions like that.  So, depending on your personal tension, you may use a different size needle. 

If I need to get size 8's, it'll be a little longer before I can start knitting.  I don't have a LYS, so I have to order everything online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halfbakedcake
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005 04:30:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm going to make this for sure then, but it won't be for awhile. I've got several projects in front of this one, and I plan on it being a Christmas gift for my mom for this year, so I probably won't start it until late summer, and will either make it in red or black, since my mom wears a ton of both. Gives me plenty of time to watch for yarn sales, too. Going to go out today and pick up this issue, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my frozen food reviews and see my latest projects at http://www.shescrafty.org
Trebuchet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005 06:22:34 AM »

I'm thinking of doing this in navy blue...Hmm...or maybe in a greenish beige color... 

Atouria, how many balls of the Kathmandu did you order?  10?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005 08:09:48 AM »

I ordered 13 to do the Large size 42" bust.   Roll Eyes  The Martina yarn they call for comes in skeins of 109 yards.  They ask for 10 for the x-small, 11 for the small and medium, 12 for the large, and 13 for the extra large.  Since the kathmandu only comes in 104 yards, I bought 13 skeins.  (when I did the math it came out that i'd need 12.57 skeins or something, so, of course, round up)

You'll need 1090 yds for the x-small, 1199 for the small & med, 1308 for the large, and 1417 for the x-large.  Just divide the number of yards you'll need for your size by the number of yards in the yarn you buy to find out how many skiens to get.  (If you already know this, don't take offense.  I wanted to have it out there if it could benefit someone.)

halfbaked cake.   You could get some nice aran weight yarns from elann.com for something around $2 a skein to make this a much cheaper project.  I used that for my last sweater.  I just wanted to try something different for this one.  Here's a good thread about lots of good quality yarns for better prices: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=26676.0  Join us! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trebuchet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005 09:25:36 PM »

I'm excited!  I went to a few yarn stores this afternoon to try and pick out a yarn for this sweater but didn't find anything that I liked.  Then I came back to this thread and read what you posted about finding some inexpensive yarn from Elann.com and remembered that I had some Highland Peruvian Wool in the Dried Herb color that might work for this sweater.

So I got it out earlier this evening and knit for a bit and I think it's going to work out perfectly.  Here's my progress so far:

So far nothing tricky.  Just some ribbing and stockinette with your basic decreases.  The pattern is very specific about which decreases to use, which I find very helpful.  Since I'm still fairly new to knitting it's nice to not have to worry about choosing the right one on my own.

I'll post (more exciting) pictures of my progress as it comes along!  Atouria, do you think you'll be starting soon?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005 05:57:38 AM by Trebuchet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Memorial Day Potato Salad Recipe
Humpty-Dumpty Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
Spicy Meatball Submarine Sandwich Recipe
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...