A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
914 Guests and 52 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the ortho project  (Read 34713 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bewitched

grab your glitter and your glue gun!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2004 05:35:49 PM »

i thought it was time to post what i wound up doing with my ortho birth-control pill compacts.
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1449

from plain and boring to religious kitsch!
http://www.bewitchedbubbles.com/other/orthofinal.jpg

i broke the dial out of the inside and scraped out the plastic bits until it was smooth. i painted the whole thing with plaid's paint for plastics. when the paint had cured, i glued in a round mirror using 527 cement. i found flat, round containers at ac moore that i filled with a solid perfume (one my fragrances - "immaculate").
after the glue dried i finished the outside of the lid - i glued on a decoratively torn picture of the virgin mary and painted over her with gold glitter paint. inside the lid, i went around the mirror with dark blue glitter dimensional paint. i did this to cover the unfinished edge of the mirror.
when i carry this in my purse i put it into one of those organza bags. just to keep it from getting scratched.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011 02:54:40 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to remove broken images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cast your spell... bewitched bath & body
http://www.bewitchedbubbles.com
orlandosgurl

Butter toast is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004 05:57:49 PM »

hey i like that! good idea! looks very vintage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little Orlando is a very good thing
gagreel
snickerdoodle cookie

I heart Queen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004 08:10:24 PM »

i have to make one for everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never paint my dreams or nightmares, I only paint my own reality"   -Frida Kahlo
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004 09:30:38 PM »

girl thats the hotness!!

I've got something to do every month now that i'm going back on the BC's! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.ac tivist.journalist.
cherriesrockmysox
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004 10:04:11 PM »

i'm on the patch.. so i geta lousy cardboard box.. i think they should have a nice plastic holder for them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004 10:14:47 PM »

girl thats the hotness!!

I've got something to do every month now that i'm going back on the BC's! Roll Eyes
you could always leave the dial inside and continue to use them for your pills. just decorate each new one with the appropriate sign of the zodiac or the relevant holiday for that month Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004 04:10:23 PM »

i love the humor of the virgin mary on a former pill pack!!!  that's really clever! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004 06:48:18 PM »

Yea, I agree with Firehead...glueing a virgin on a pill packet that gives you unlimited sex...ohhhh the irony. Still, I think it rocks! I would put lipgloss in one, I've never actually seen solid perfume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004 08:06:36 PM »

i'm a non-catholic who grew up in a predominately catholic city - new orleans.
i have this whole "outsider looking in" obsession with images of the virgin mary and catholic iconography in general.

that, and i have this terribly irreverent streak  Grin

i decided to do the solid perfume because i have about a dozen lip balms i'm currently using- another one was the last thing i needed Wink
i'm planning to give customers the choice of perfume or lip balm when i sell them in the OOAK section of my site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004 06:56:08 PM »

i have a couple of these that i did not throw away. now i have a use for them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004 07:39:26 PM »

i never got crafty with mine-- i just took them back to the pharmacy in a brown bag dozens at a time and was like "ok here ya go"

i did invest in a leopard print "designer" pill case.. but then i switched to a different brand--

so if anyone is interesed in a leopard ortho pill case lemmie know! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004 07:56:47 AM »

you are such a smart cookie - how creative!
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michelex
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004 08:37:26 AM »

that looks awesome. ive always decorted my pill cases, just to make them look like something else when theyre on my dresser. i used random images from magazines & stickers & stuck them down with super glue. it makes the paper extremly hard & durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectEquation
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004 08:58:26 AM »

i've always wanted to make solid perfumes! is it hard? maybe i should look for directions somewhere
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes so unusual
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004 09:30:42 AM »

i friggin love that idea! very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004 10:34:20 AM »

i've always wanted to make solid perfumes! is it hard? maybe i should look for directions somewhere

i use the same base recipe that i use for my body balm, i just put a higher concentration of fragrance oil in it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adlib
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004 11:39:52 AM »

GASP!!! For shame! My grandmother would fall over and die!

Actually, it is clever. Not for me, personally (I'm Catholic -but not really offended because I'm not a big fan of the "no birth control" rule the Church has come up with), but hey, whatever floats yer boat.

Very pretty.

-Courtney
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004 09:12:01 PM »

oh! I looove how this turned out. It is so much fun, bewitched!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004 05:59:44 AM »

It's been said, but I love the irony of the Virgin Mary on a re-"vamped" b/c pill pack! I've seen the paints for plastic, but they're pretty expensive up here (Canada), so haven't tried them yet. If this has been covered on another thread, please let me know, but I would really, really love a product review of the paints for plastic. Just had a thought. (And it's so early in the day!) What do people think of an area where Craftsters submit their "product reviews" when companies put out new stuff? Or of existing products, for that matter. Real feedback from people who actually use the stuff under "real" conditions...(geez, that sounded like an advert. sigh).  Maybe the companies would even start sending us free "samples" to test  Wink...mmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004 03:36:55 PM »

It's been said, but I love the irony of the Virgin Mary on a re-"vamped" b/c pill pack! I've seen the paints for plastic, but they're pretty expensive up here (Canada), so haven't tried them yet. If this has been covered on another thread, please let me know, but I would really, really love a product review of the paints for plastic. Just had a thought. (And it's so early in the day!) What do people think of an area where Craftsters submit their "product reviews" when companies put out new stuff? Or of existing products, for that matter. Real feedback from people who actually use the stuff under "real" conditions...(geez, that sounded like an advert. sigh).  Maybe the companies would even start sending us free "samples" to test  Wink...mmm

i second the idea of a "product review" section. you should PM leah about it.
as far as the paints for plastics, i'm satisfied with them thus far Smiley i'm ordering some directly from the plaid website. http://www.plaidonline.com/productSearchResults.asp?cat1ID=1&cat2ID=1&cat3ID=149
i'm planning to order the 4 sets, they're on closeout special and it's plenty enough for what i need.
you should see if they ship to canada Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balahuniankid

shakin' like a revolution

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004 07:47:38 PM »

and to think i was throwing mine away all this time! what was i thinking?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004 07:35:09 AM »

This is kinda off topic but, when I use to be a brownie troop leader, we never could afford the paints for plastic, but we found out if we mixed white school glue with acrylic paint it made it stick the plastic and gave it a shiny durable kind of finish. The trick is you have to slightly dilute the glue with water before you mix it...and don't use your quality brushes with it unless you clean them very well and leave them sitting in water while your painting so they dont harden on you. If they do you can cover them with dishsoap over nite and it usually comes out...btw make sure its the washable white glue not the tacky glue. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
craftypixie

opinions were like kittins, I was giving them away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004 09:49:36 AM »

dyobolica what a great tip!
Bewitched great job!
Does anyone have any ideas for Desogen pill packs they are rectangle and have holes in the bottom...hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pseudola

what was i saying?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004 09:50:59 AM »

I think it must depend on the kind of plastic you use. I bought paint for plastic to use on my ugly clear plastic dresser, and it worked terribly. I can't imagine it works that badly on all plastic, or else you'd think it wouldn't sell...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004 03:06:52 PM »

craftypixie - can you post a picture of the pill pack? or a link to a picture of it? i don't recognize the name, so i can't visualize it.

psuedola - was it a clear plastic dresser? i do seem to remember having better results on opaque plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELLYK.

I Love Great Danes!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004 03:14:59 PM »

That turned out great Bewitched?  Do you sell them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004 03:43:53 PM »

That turned out great Bewitched?  Do you sell them?

thank you!
i am planning to sell them in the OOAK section of my site. i still have to do them though. i just ordered some more PforP last night. i cheaped out on the shipping, so it'll be here in about 10 days or so.
was there a specific theme or design you were interested in? since i haven't done them yet i'm more than happy to customize Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004 10:51:53 PM »

that is so fabulous, and very cheeky with the virgin mary on the front...cheeky cheeky girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Paige
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004 05:57:27 PM »

LOVE this idea.

I use the Patch, and I've been given like 20 square containters to hold the unused patches in and I was getting annoyed with them because I didn't know what to do with them

I hope I didn't toss all of them out. I can't remember *runs to her room*

and thanks dyabolica  for the glue/acrylic idea. I don't have money to spend on new paints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherriesrockmysox
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004 07:01:12 PM »

*Ms. Paige*
Where did you get square containers for your patches?? I'm on the patch as well. Have been for about a year now, And all i get is a crappy cardboard box, Which always gets smashed and about gives me a heart attack thinking one of the patches got bent.. Thanks! I'd love to get some
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2004 08:25:51 PM »

Cherriesrockmysox,

I got mine with the starter pack. YOu can ask for one from the ortho evra website if your retailer doesn't have one.

https://ortho.harte-hanks.com/evra/patch-me-in.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lara
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2004 10:39:55 PM »

this is the coolest box i've ever seen, now i know what to do with the many boxes i haven't had the heart to throw away...
i might make a few gifts along the way...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2004 05:55:07 PM »

i got my paint for plastics today. it showed up almost a week earlier than i expected it. that made me happy Smiley
now i can get to work on the 6 or 7 compacts i have (and the one i'll be getting this weekend when i get my refill).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2004 03:17:10 PM »

Very cool!! Another reason to go on the pill!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CellophaneFlowers
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2004 10:41:43 PM »

I saw this thread and was inspired. Since I don't have any birth control pill cases, I decided to decorate my powder compact instead. It was a twenty minute project, so it's not really high-quality, but it was fun, and now I get a giggle whenever I use my compact. I cut out pictures from magazines and adhered and sealed them with Mod Podge. The main image is a man wearing very posh eyemakeup and lipgloss, which always makes me smile, and letters reading "Glam." Thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faith and begorrah...
silencepainter
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2004 12:46:56 PM »

What a wonderful idea!

My BC doesn't come with fun little containers each time.   Cry  I got one container when I first got it, and afterwards all I get all plastic pouches that contain refils.  I'll have to be on the lookout for similar type containers though.  That is so nifty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004 10:12:24 PM »

Way to re-use/recycle something!
It looks great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessilyn

PuddinPants, You Can Kiss It.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004 10:33:18 PM »

I have some left over packets from when I WAS on the pill...
But I got pregnant! Ladies, be careful of switching from OTC  to OTC-Lo.
So now I have a IUD implanted in my lovely uterus.
I think I'd rather be sterile for the next ten years than have a pretty compact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dawnie
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2004 06:27:22 AM »

Totally awesome, I am jealous that my pills come in a soft slide in case, because they are in square shape.. I suppose I could come up with an idea for that though.... Hmmm.... The birth of a new project idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not frightened by anyones perception of me" - Angelina Jole
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2004 09:01:18 PM »

That's so neat! I always decorate my pill cases too. I usually lose them after a while, but here's my current fav:

It's just some vinyl sticker I cut up and slapped on. Not as nice as your cool icon, but it does discourage people from thinking it's candy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyFool
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004 06:30:43 AM »

Thats really cool. Did you get that case like that from the doc? Cuz mines kinda stupid just the like plastic packs where you pop the pills threw the foil one the back, I always wanted one like you have....I know its just a pill pack but im weird...no i dont want a pony. i want the cool birth control pack! Tongue But yea anyway...reambling on..I used to decorate mine to, not the that extent. I made mine all colorful like stained glass with a sharpie then colored all around it with back sharpie to make the colors stand out more. then i put clear nail polish to make it shine. it was really cool but still missing something. so i added a bart simpson sticker...it was really groovy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well...Damn The Man!!!
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2004 02:57:00 AM »

I HATE how many of these stupid things they give me.  When I started on this brand, my mom got me a red case with.. leopard print and shoes on it.  I've been using that ever since, and I can't make them stop giving them to me.  My mom jokes that I should make a "safe sex windchime" or something out of them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2004 11:59:18 AM »

I have the plain clinic pill cases too. I drew on mine with different color Sharpies: it says "No Babies" and above that "fetus" in a red circle with a slash through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2004 05:07:56 AM »

I'm on the patch and my doctor gave me two of these "starter kits". They are these pretty iridescent light blue zipper bags with a leaping woman logo. I lined the inside with a great black-and-white op art fabric, put a vertical black strip to cover up the logo, with my initial on it and the op-art fabric peeking through from underneath. It's a great little jewelry case now! I wish I had a camera so I could post a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2004 02:37:57 PM »

So, I have several Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo packages that I don't want.  If anyone's interested in taking them and doing something cool, PM me and I'll send them to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Diffuse the Light From the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Camera Exposure Basics
Can I use the software that came with my camera?
What kind of software should I use?
What do I need to make digital prints at home?
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...