A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mosaic tree table of happiness...*IMAGE HEAVY( fairly wordy as well)*  (Read 25494 times)
Tags for this thread: table , mosaic , tree , sunshine , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008 06:58:56 PM »

This is very lovely and timely as I am working on a tree mosaic table of my own. And just last night we were discussing the logistics of resin-ing it. How did you get the resin to stay on the table? Did you build some sort of frame around it? School me in the process of resin-ing a table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystereogotmono
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008 06:59:24 PM »

how beautiful! mosaic tables make my heart melt. i am certainly jealous of your talents
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinnapaste
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008 07:02:58 PM »

This is very lovely and timely as I am working on a tree mosaic table of my own. And just last night we were discussing the logistics of resin-ing it. How did you get the resin to stay on the table? Did you build some sort of frame around it? School me in the process of resin-ing a table.
I was about to ask the same thing. Hehe.
I've been wanting to try that for awhile but just haven't attempted it (or researched it) yet.

The table is stunning though = )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.- Winston Churchill

http://www.wists.com/Amandagator
RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008 07:12:36 PM »

oh WOW! that is amazing! you did a beautiful job  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
string theory
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008 07:17:46 PM »

I did it in two layers. The first layer, I put masking tape around the sides so that it was about 1/2 inch above the table. Then did a flood coat. The masking tape kept the resin from pouring over the side and made the edges even and not poky. After a few hours, when the resin was set, but not too hard, I peeled off the tape.
The second coat, I sanded the rough top edges of the 1st coat o' resin, then did another flood coat. I let it go over the sides a little bit, but was surprised that it wanted to stay on the table more than not. You have to remember to wipe the drips so that you don't have globs on the bottom of your table.

It also REALLY helps to have a blowtorch when you are dong something large with resin! the first coat, I did at my house and I don't have one, or the proper facilities to use one (I probably would have gotten in trouble with the HOA if I even thought about it) so I tried one of those big BIC lighters that you use to light a fireplace/grill... It did work, but was a little bit tricky and very time consuming. The 2nd coat, I was at my parents house and had the full range of my father's arsenal of tools at my disposal (including the blow torch). It was WAY easier and faster and did demolish any stray bubbles in its path... although it was terrifying and way too powerful and had a distinct air of danger that I couldn't shake off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

Good at everything...Great at nothing

i crafted a kid

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008 07:18:40 PM »

I'd like to know that too.

Great table!  It looks fantastic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good at everything...Great at nothing
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008 07:22:55 PM »

Excellent work on this mosaic. Great design, and it turned out fantastic! Smiley

Rockin'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forcemajeure
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008 07:57:44 PM »

It's gorgeous and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
castlesinthesky
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008 08:35:44 PM »

This is amazing, both the project itself and the fact that you completed it in less than a year when you have two small children!  I have two small kids too so I know about these sorts of things.  Great job, and I especially love the resin finish to protect your work from grubby little fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss American Pie
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008 08:52:30 PM »

That table is beautiful. Wow, you put so much work into it, I wouldn't have even known where to start. You did such a good job. You don't even need matching chairs, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Grilled Summer Lemon Chicken
How to Finish the Turkey Chestnut Filling
How to Mix and Bake a Turkey Filling
How to Sautee the Ingredients for a Turkey Filling
How to Prepare and Peel Chestnuts for a Turkey Filling
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...