A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mosaic tree table of happiness...*IMAGE HEAVY( fairly wordy as well)*  (Read 25515 times)
Tags for this thread: table , mosaic , tree , sunshine , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

string theory
« on: September 08, 2008 03:46:56 PM »

I have been working slowly on this table for most of the summer (having two small children makes the process go slower than it should). Here is a glimpse of what I made...

It all started when we decided that we had to abandon our table since space is limited in our lives. My sister had a table for us and we would receive it after she got married in June. However, when we finally got her table it was so bulky and horrible! My husband got a gigantic splinter from carrying it into our house, so we had to reject it. Too much work, too big, to hazardous for the youngins. so, after being let down and having waited for months, we hopped over to the local Goodwill and purchased a new table for $10. It was the plainest table that you could imagine... wood colored laminate and a single black pedestal to hold the thing up. I painted it with primer and got to work...
this is the only before picture that I have (after I painted it)

After searching town for a cheep way to get tiles (I did have 9 square feet to cover), I  turned to the internet, where I found a great deal on wholesale tiles. I only paid $20! I got inspiration for the table top from a vintage fabric that I saw online once.
In progress...

tiling complete:

Every time I see this table I will think of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" since we were on binge of watching that show at the time I was tiling...

So, after it was tiled, it sat in my kitchen for several weeks until I worked up the balls (and energy) to grout it. We don't really have any outside space (other than the patio that overlooks the parking lot. I don't love people staring at me while I am trying to work on something), so we had to do it in the living room...
Post grout:

Now, since I do have two small children who love to slather their dinner/markers/paint all around, and I did not want to be scrubbing grout 8 times a day, I decided to resin the table to make a smooth, easy wipe surface.
The table sat on my patio for weeks since that would have to be the location of the resining (toxic fumes and all). unfortunately, being monsoon season, I was terrified to resin it since there would most certainly be a dust storm the moment that I poured the resin. So, I waited and waited until I just decided to do it... then there was a dust storm about an hour after I resined it. Hubby and I had to scramble to get it inside. There is one fraction of a leaf imbedded in the table. I left it there because I thought it was funny.
We had to do another coat of resin, so we took it to my parent's house to utilize their garage... it was way easier.

Here is the table with it's glass-like resin finish:

none of my chairs match even a little bit... someday I will fix that...

Another top view:

it is hard to take pictures of shiny things...

And here is the baby sitting at the finished table:

Sorry for the extreme length of this post. I feel like this project was epic for me so I am purging it from my body with this narrative.
Thanks for looking! Comments/questions welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 03:50:41 PM »

you've done an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
fusbdgt
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008 03:57:09 PM »

i love this. what a beautiful finished project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alli_Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008 03:59:49 PM »

Amazing job!  I love the colors and the design. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
string theory
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008 04:01:47 PM »

Thanks everyone! I am really happy with how it turned out! It is super functional too, and for 35 bucks total, it is also a steal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuno930
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008 04:10:10 PM »

Now, since I do have two small children who love to slather their dinner/markers/paint all around, and I did not want to be scrubbing grout 8 times a day, I decided to resin the table to make a smooth, easy wipe surface.
amen, brilliant and this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violetta27
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008 04:18:09 PM »

Amazingly gorgeous table.  The work you did on this is nothing short of awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008 04:26:55 PM »

Stunning! Cheerful! Sooooo smooth and shiny!  I'm gobsmacked and can't think of exactly what to say, but it's all good stuff except one question: mind sharing your internet source for cheap tiles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ferrero-rochelle
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008 04:29:22 PM »

This is gorgeous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008 04:38:01 PM »

Stunning! Cheerful! Sooooo smooth and shiny!  I'm gobsmacked and can't think of exactly what to say, but it's all good stuff except one question: mind sharing your internet source for cheap tiles?

I would love to share!
I got them at http://store.mosaictilearts.com
The guy was very nice and their prices are so reasonable (including shipping, which is rare these days)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Dog Sock Puppet
How to Create a Hand Puppet With Socks
How to Make Shadow Puppets With Your Hand
How to Create a Giraffe Sock Puppet
How to Create a Puppet Theater
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...