A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
788 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The (new) Etsy critique thread!  (Read 45142 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Poofhawk
Poofhawk Clothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: October 15, 2012 08:52:54 PM »

I really would appreciate a helpful critique on my etsy shop, Please don't hold back  Tongue :

http://www.etsy.com/shop/poofhawk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glimmerandgleam

Love to create!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2012 09:33:00 AM »

I have an etsy site and I'm really just looking for some feedback on what I have listed. I actually have been making jewelry for about 12 years, but only occasionally and as a hobby. I recently started making a lot of stuff to sell as I have lost my job and needed the extra cash to feed the kids and pay bills. so far, not very successful and I thought I would ask around for critiques and feedback on what I might be doing wrong. I really appreciate honesty and would love to hear  what others think Smiley  Thanks!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlimmerandGleam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Struttinyourbuttons
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2012 06:55:11 PM »

hello all,

ive been a browser on here for a little while now. this is my first post. its coming from a heated moment. i went to my 3rd holiday shopping bazaar tonight, and was ONCE AGAIN shunned out by the 31 table right next to me. im getting frustrated about the people looking at my table, at the hard work i put into my designs and purses, hearing them tell me how talented i am and how they're not crafty and blah blah....then they spend their money with someone who almost effortlessly ordered a bunch of crap from a catalog to sell at these things. why do i even try?!? please give me some feedback people...check out my etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinhenson. from what you see, where should i be focusing? i put everything on my etsy shop, get lots of views, but no orders. i know it takes some time to build up momentum and to have people trust your shop, but im getting to the point where i might have to get a "real" job to pay my bills. i dont want to. i want this to work!! i want to make my living making my living. thanks in advance for some constructive criticism.

sorry about the rant. its just so irritating to have my hard work get passed over by outsourced products.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iorisdis
« Reply #453 on: November 16, 2012 12:06:00 AM »

I think your stuff is very nice, the Toile-purse and the reversible messenger bag are my favourites.

As far as I know, your situation is quite similar to what Norwegian crafters experience at similar events. -people prefer to buy cheaper, mass-produced goods, and the crafters that gets lots of sales are the ones offering small, inexpensive items. (such as toiletry bags, earwarmers, mittens and scarves, christmas ornaments etc.)

It might be different as I am in the north of Europe, so I am crossing my fingers that you will find what works for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

best wishes from Norway Smiley
BattleAxe
« Reply #454 on: November 16, 2012 04:27:20 AM »

You make nice stuff.

The one recommendation for your etsy shop that I have is to change your images.  They're very washed out because the background blends with the product.  I didn't know what I was looking at in some of them before I clicked.  And normally, I wouldn't have clicked because I just didn't see anything intriguing because of the blending. 

Don't really know what to say about the craft sales.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #455 on: November 16, 2012 05:26:27 AM »

i am going to say what i truly think.  only because you asked, ok?

1) prices are too high on several of the items. (the wreath with leaves is an example).
2) you need to iron/steam out the wrinkles on products better so they look crisp and fresh.  (perhaps starch?)
3) i don't think your bags are lined to stand up well on their own?  they look a bit 'floppy' to me.  folks like bags that are strong looking, not floppy - esp if you're comparing to the 31 table.
4) match/contrast thread colors better - the white doesn't look that great against the dark colors on the inside pockets.  it's a little thing, but it can make a difference on sales.

i do like what you've made overall though.  the styles are marketable.

it is a bad economy right now - so that is going to affect what folks are going to spend.  align your prices better with economy and 'cheap' outsourced stuff a little closer and then you'll have more sales.  when economy improves, you'll have customer base established as well as ability to increase sales.

bettyann
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: November 16, 2012 07:02:46 AM »

I will also be honest. What I see are pretty basic crafts with too-high prices. In the online shop it could be your photos - totally agree with happyfrog on all her points - but I'm also not seeing real detail and the quality to sell at your current prices. Some of your sewn items look limp or the patch pockets or flaps unevenly sewn (bags) or lumpy/uneven (toe & heels of stockings; also, by "quality" I mean that you have one basic stocking so they should look very uniform, but one has a flat looking heel, one has a lumpy toe, one has a rounder leg, etc.). Improved quality usually comes naturally over time, but a bit of focus doesn't hurt.

Also, the descriptions in your shop are seriously lacking. There are no sizes listed for anything, no colors, and very little else! How big are those wreaths, how wide are the bags, what's the length of the straps, and so on. No pictures of the insides of bags. You have a reversible bag with no picture of the reverse.

What you need to work on are picking the right quality/pricing combo, photos, descriptions and keywords - these are all typical things a business with online component has to work on, so there's no time like now to get started.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012 07:04:18 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kchynoweth
« Reply #457 on: December 13, 2012 09:32:54 PM »

I just started my shop about a week ago after a lot of encouragement from friends. I read the top part of this thread and will work on getting mor pictures of my items and find out info on international shipping. Apart from that, does anyone have any advice to improve my chances for success?
Any advice would help  Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/encantodesigns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WingsOfClay
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I Love Craftster Swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2012 01:33:34 PM »

I just started my shop about a week ago after a lot of encouragement from friends. I read the top part of this thread and will work on getting mor pictures of my items and find out info on international shipping. Apart from that, does anyone have any advice to improve my chances for success?
Any advice would help  Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/encantodesigns

I like your stuff: especially the look of the stamped one-sies...would love to see same technique on adult T shirts

my honest reaction? first thing i notice: prices WAY to low! needle felting is involved. hand stamping is involved. make sure to pay yourself for your supplies, your LABOR, your listing fees, your packaging materials, u get the picture. i am very observant of this b/c i am an etsy seller too: www.etsy.com/shop/wingsofclay

what i have done lately: have a FEW cheaper items (i have some $10 ornaments, but they are SO much faster to make than my other stuff) and some high end stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it, thrift it, mend it, or make-do without it!
kchynoweth
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2012 07:05:15 PM »

thanks, I appreciate the advice! I've had a hard time deciding on prices because I'm basically doing crafts that I've been doing for fun for a while and trying to sell them. It's so hard for me to look at something I've been doing for friends and family as something that has monetary value. I had the prices a little higher and my husband told me that he thought it was too high (but then again he's a guy and thinks everything on Etsy is overpriced LOL). I'll talk to some local crafters and reconsider the prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Full, Gorgeous Brows - and Look Younger Too
Mally Roncal’s Instant Face-Lift?
Can Eyeliner Give You an Eye Lift?
Dudes Attempt A @Mac_daddyy Makeup Tutorial
Home Remedies for Acne
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...