A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,853
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The (new) Etsy critique thread!  (Read 43111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiltcreations
Mom Lady, Finder of lost toys and Ex-but-wanna-be-born-again Artist

voices in my head? yes, but they have good ideas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008 02:22:26 PM »

hello - you want it? you got it  Grin
and it's not gonna hurt - it might sting a little - only b/c if you choose to change things - that's just more time spent.
Pics - make the first one without the object for scale. First one you say..but there's only one ... have more. I know that there are only so many angles for earrings and bracelets...but maybe on wrists (real or otherwise) or foam head ears or something like that. I personally like black backgrounds - but I can tell you I got LOTS of negative feedback on them. With jewelry, nice dishes or fabric or wallpaper sample backgrounds are always nice.
Since the earrings have a painted back - show it.

Descriptions. Simple and to the point can be a very good thing. Afterall, everyone knows what an earring does. As long as the materials used, description of color (since not all monitors see the same) and sizes (even with objects for scale in the background) are stated - that should be good.
Cute stories and LLBean style descriptions aren't deal breakers. I do like how you described where the paper beads came from & the bit on how they were made. Keep that whenever there is something to tell.

Prices - they seem low. Keep in mind your time spent and shipping - it may be free for the buyer - but you still have to buy the mailing materials and postage...that's $3.00 right there. There is nothing wrong with getting paid for your time, materials, incidentals and extra for profit...that's why you sell, right?   Cheesy

You have some really cute stuff - play up the recycled angle in the descriptions - eco-friendly is always a plus.  Maybe move some of the announcement into your profile so buyers can instantly see the products without scrolling.

Jump back here if you change things up...I'd love to see it.
And I know I always write too much, but it's because for myself, it's what I need to improve...so I just push it onto everyone else too  Tongue

Best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008 06:28:55 PM »

Thanks Tilt!
I appreciate you taking the time to look and tell me what you think - didn't hurt at all! Those were some great ideas - hadn't thought about more pics for things like earrings. Instead of a black background, how about red velvet? I still need something better than a plain background though. Maybe I should finish painting some of the wooden items I'm working on and use one or more of them as a backdrop? Just didn't want to distract.

How many items are too many? When I get on a kick (and a big one is coming once hubby goes to nights and I have my evenings to myself!), I am quite the prolific crafter. I currently have a couple dozen painted functional items that just need accents and clearcoat (plus another 50-60 items that are sanded and primed), a dozen more paperback pocketbooks ready to put together, more jewelry I have yet to post, a couple of shoulder bags from upcycled t-shirts I'm working on tomorrow, AND I borrowed the laminator from work to work on some handbags I've been losing sleep over for a month now (I hate it when I get an idea and can't sleep until I have it finished in my head!). On top of all that, I have a bench, a rocker, 5 chairs, and a desk all primed and started painting last weekend that I will be selling locally (too big to ship).
GAH!!! Make it stop!

Insofar as pricing goes, do you really think I'm too cheap? I am my own worst critic, and only ask what I would be willing to pay (and I seldom spend $ on myself). I was looking at what others on Etsy were charging for earrings and was shocked at how little they were asking - $1?!?

I know I can't change anything on the items for sale, but I will shorten the announcement. And I'll try to add a bit more to the descriptions too.

Thank you so much for your comments! I look forward to hearing additional opinions as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
jeanae
Seamstress to the cows

Seamstress to the cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008 07:28:47 PM »

You're definitely underpricing your stuff - they're really beautiful and creative and easily worth $10 at a minimum!  More photos, especially against some nice backgrounds (something music related for the CD earrings?) and you'll have some stunning stuff.  And if you ever feel like you're overcharging go pick up Vogue or Elle or even Lucky and see what prices are considered "normal" in those magazines.  You'll feel far better about adding a bit to the prices.  Smiley

As for changing - is there a time limit on editing?  I just fixed one listing yesterday, about 6 hours after posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop!: http://cherrylime.etsy.com

Sometimes seamstress for the Chick-fil-a billboard cows, full time grad student, sewing teacher, and dabbler in steampunk, ren faire, and cosplay garb.  Keepin' busy!
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008 09:34:33 PM »

Ya know, I just checked and yes, I can still change things. I'll take more and better pics tomorrow outdoors. And the idea of using something music related for the CD earring is genius! I'll borrow one of hubby's guitars and hang them from the strings!
Prices are going to be the toughest for me to deal with, but I will. Ya gotta understand I'm the type of person who has never paid more than $90 for shoes - and those were thigh-high boots!

You have both been very helpful - THANK YOU!!!

Rather than locking myself in the studio tomorrow to paint, I'm going to use the time to revamp my store. I'll let you know when to peek again, but I'm still open for ideas.

God I love this site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
tiltcreations
Mom Lady, Finder of lost toys and Ex-but-wanna-be-born-again Artist

voices in my head? yes, but they have good ideas

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008 02:22:37 PM »

You can always change and edit items for sale...as long as it doesn't change to another product. I think I have changed pics about 3 times on at least half of my items...prices on about 5...and descriptions and tags on most.

as too how many items is too much? No limit really...but remember the listing fee...just make sure everything is in a category so people don't have to scroll much. If one category is more than one page (which is fine), try to list them so they aren't all the same style in a row - give the customer a variety without scrolling.

looking forward to seeing it...I'll give a shout out when I think my pics are done too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008 06:36:49 PM »

Gah!
Today I spent 4 hours setting things up outside and taking new pics of almost everything - then my camera went colorblind.
Seriously! Everything that was red was green on the camera and vice-versa. I couldn't get it to work right until I wiped the entire card. ALL of the FOUR HOURS of pics were gone.

So I had several beers, calmed down, and started over.
I feel like I wasted a whole day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008 06:57:56 PM »

So I had several beers, calmed down, and started over.
I feel like I wasted a whole day.

Ok...you need to hear this funny to lift your spirits...

If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago, you would have $49 left.

With Fannie Mae, you would have $2.50 left of the original $1,000.

With AIG, you would have less than $15 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drunk all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have $214 cash.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle! Wink

Some day's you're the statue...and on other days, the pigeon.
Sorry to hear of your photo disaster. Sad Tomorrow will be better! It has to be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008 09:47:54 PM »

The good news is - I got a lot done in my shop tonite after hubby hit the sack. (Funny how that works...)

Added the pics I did today, tweaked the old pics, raised prices and shipping rates (got my first sale Friday and sent to Portugal - DEFINITELY had to adjust the shipping rates!).

Take a peek and tell me if I'm heading the right direction?

Maybe tomorrow I can get some CRAFTING done!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
jeanae
Seamstress to the cows

Seamstress to the cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008 12:06:50 PM »

I love the new photos and the new prices tell me I'm getting a quality item.  Great job and congrats on the first sale!!

I updated my banner after many frustrating moments with Gimp (too cheap for photoshop) and I've got some new stuff to photograph just as soon as the weather and my homework schedule cooporate. At that time I plan on re-shooting some of my existing stock to make the pictures even more enticing.

Beyond those things (new photos, more items) is there anything else I can do to entice potential buyers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop!: http://cherrylime.etsy.com

Sometimes seamstress for the Chick-fil-a billboard cows, full time grad student, sewing teacher, and dabbler in steampunk, ren faire, and cosplay garb.  Keepin' busy!
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008 03:44:17 PM »

Thanks for your help jeanae, tiltcreations and I Sew Cute. I appreciate you all taking the time to look and critique.
Jeanae, I just took a peek at your shop, and must say, I like your pics!
I Sew - love the soldered glass jewery!

Tilt - good descriptions! I need a lot more work on mine.

Hubby bought me a new camera yesterday - I hate spending money on myself, but my other color-blind camera lasted 8 years and 4 hard drops. Time to retire it. I'll work on new pics once I get a power cord. It eats double-As!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Post Processing Lighting Effects
How to Create an Unbroken Horizon Part 2/2
How to Create an Unbroken Horizon Part 1/2
Difference Between Setting the Stage and Telling a Story
How to Use a 50 mm Lens
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...