A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The (new) Etsy critique thread!  (Read 44884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008 02:09:59 PM »

Hello!

I've been selling for a few months, and I'd love some feedback - I tend to be wordy - am I too wordy? LOL

Any advice will be much appreciated -

http://www.weeessentials.etsy.com
I really enjoyed your shop! I marked you as a favorite and hope to buy from you in the future. Your pictures are nice and clear. Your descriptions are really detailed but not mundane. I have nothing negative for you! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiltcreations
Mom Lady, Finder of lost toys and Ex-but-wanna-be-born-again Artist

voices in my head? yes, but they have good ideas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008 08:37:22 PM »

Ok - I just Re-revamped my shop...new banner, avatar & pics. I still want to get them more uniform - but I can only retake so often. Once I find what is best - I'll do them the same from there.
Honest, but not mean  Grin critiques are highly welsomed...I need to know what is so wrong that nothing sells. Disregarding the obvious > everyone and their sister sells purses.
Thanks much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiltcreations

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008 12:09:00 PM »

knottySisters:
sorry - you got skipped...I think I thought the one above me was for you...
avatar - it's one one my favorite outfits of yours.
banner: cute - I like the backhanded whisper
prices: they seem fine - almost low actually (i am thinking of the cowls)
pics: I love all the poses. I do know that many buyers get turned off by seeing items in hair or worn braless (what they think happens when you buy in a store - I do not know).. One way around it (if it mattered to you) could be to take a "sample" pic of an item & note in the description that the X color item in the last picture is for showcasing, it is not the actual item you would be purchasing. or for the head ones, use a mannequin head (boring maybe, it could be painted fun anyway)

Your stuff has a fun feel from the way you display them - it's a nice touch.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeanae
Seamstress to the cows

Seamstress to the cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008 10:34:15 AM »

TiLT - I like your shop and your offerings!  If I didn't already have more bags than my tiny closet can handle I'd be severely tempted (Ok, I am temped, it's that closet that's holding me back), especially by the Green Text Theresa.  My one major suggestion - your photo's don't "pop" like they might.  Especially your three featured purses.  They kinda look like nice purses put down on the table and photographed for an ebay auction.  However your bags photographed outside (like the blue wave tote) look great - unfortunately I'm not as likely to scroll down to catch that with the more boring photos on top.  Which is really too bad because your purses are super cute and I love that you have pictures of what the purses and such look like inside - very helpful.  Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop!: http://cherrylime.etsy.com

Sometimes seamstress for the Chick-fil-a billboard cows, full time grad student, sewing teacher, and dabbler in steampunk, ren faire, and cosplay garb.  Keepin' busy!
tiltcreations

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008 03:35:05 PM »

Thanks for the honest critique - not enough people let you know what's wrong.  I know I need to work on my pics...hopefully it will stop raining here so I can try again...and maybe I can bribe my dad into taking them (he is an excellent photographer)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008 08:05:20 PM »

Tilt...ever since I started taking my photos outside...they have improved tremendously. Compare my latest items to the tattoo pendants I did (photographed inside under the light of my sewing machine)

I take the pictures either early in the day...or later afternoon...when the light is just gorgeous. I prefer a cloudy day to a sunny one...as there will not be harsh shadows. The clouds act like umbrellas you see in front of photographer's studio lights...and it softens shadows. To make my pieces stand out ...I find a back drop that contrasts the piece to make it stand out more...a la colorwheel. If it's a purple pendant...then pop it on a yellow or orange background and *bam* it stands out!

You could throw a sheet, towel, pieces of fabric over a lawn chair ...angled in the direction of the light...and it will help!

Also think dynamic angles for interest...yet still showing off the overall shape, style, and wonderful features of your purses!

Whew! I've got to get to work in my kitchen now on some stuff...but wanted to put that out there for ya! By the way the most recent 3 in your shop...which are featured are looking better than some of the older listings.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
jeanae
Seamstress to the cows

Seamstress to the cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008 09:32:16 PM »

I know you were replying to TiLT, Oh So Cute, but I'm taking notes on your tips - very helpful!  I tend to shoot my pictures indoors since, living in an apartment, it's a pain to drag it all outside but I need to get over that.  Today I took out some of my coasters to shoot in the sunlight and it made a world of difference.  I even wound up with a cute intruding flower in some of my pictures.

And just to add to the idea of taking interesting shots from different angles - a couple sundays I was asked to photograph some stuff for church.  Took a couple pictures of a bank of candles we have, one from straight on, one from close in and from the side.  The front-on one looks like an insurance picture while the one from the side is getting used for promotional stuff.  And yet it seems like we're trained to go for the straight-on shot.  Go figure.  Thank heavens for digital cameras, you can take a hundred different shots with instant feedback and no film costs!

And *cough* speaking of photos, any suggestions for bettering my (admittedly small) shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes seamstress for the Chick-fil-a billboard cows, full time grad student, sewing teacher, and dabbler in steampunk, ren faire, and cosplay garb.  Keepin' busy!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008 10:11:03 PM »

Very cute shop jeanae! Your personality shines through & makes me feel really welcome to be browsing your stuff. Your photos aren't bad...but I think it's all about good lighting & interesting angles. I love that you show your items in different situations...such as your coasters all layed out fresh & new in a group...also showing them being used...and packed up in a picnic basket. That is working and visually telling me a story!
Your banner...could use sprucing up...although being cherrylime...the green color is working out for ya!

Digital cameras are a Godsend! I don't know what I'd do without mine...especially being a mom! LoL! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
jeanae
Seamstress to the cows

Seamstress to the cows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008 06:57:33 AM »

Thank you!  I've got excuses for photographing indoors and the lousy banner but they're just excuses and I need to get off my tush and get over it.  Smiley  Drag my dressform out to the green area in my apartment building and figure that any and all small kids who get in the photo (we have a surplus of them here) are cute props.  And I need to remember to photograph the backs of the robes as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008 12:18:28 PM »

Okay...I know this is gonna hurt, but it's gotta be done.

I think my pics are passable, could probably tweak the background a bit, and I think my banner is okay, but I KNOW I've been slacking in the item descriptions. Hopefully that will improve next week when hubby goes on nights, so I can grab more than 30 minutes at a time on the computer without him whining!

Please don't pull any punches - give it to me straight - I really want to make my shop work. Please tell me what you think.

(You'll find the link below)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a HDR Photo
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 1 of 4
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 2 of 4
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 3 of 4
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 4 of 4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...