A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap making tutorial!  (Read 55402 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , cp_soap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annabanana1234
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2009 07:23:51 PM »

Thanks, OhHappyDay!

I just finished making my very first batch of soap and it's in the oven now. I couldn't wait for the lye that I'd ordered online to get here, so I hunted down an Ace Hardware and there it was. I was so nervous about dealing with the chemical, though, despite the fact that I've handled that (& more) in chem lab in high school/college Cheesy.  I think that I might have used a tad bit more oil than I needed to, but, all in all, everything went pretty smoothly. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I did have one question, should I have covered the top of the mold with something before I put it in the oven? Is that something you only do when you're doing CP alone?

ETA Pics

Here's my set up:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 10:21:27 AM by annabanana1234 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
annabanana1234
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2009 10:28:51 AM »

Here is the soap:

I have another question...here is a close up pic of the sides:

I've looked around the internet and found that it is called soda ash. Most places said that it's basically harmless and can be scraped or washed off with no problem. I want to know if there are any tips to minimize this in the future. I used a silicone mold, would a sturdier mold have helped?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2009 10:19:30 PM »

i cant see the photo-i am on my phone..but you can use plastic wrap to cover your raw soap while it hardens..you could get it after while its curing too but you can wipe it off then too..something about the soap getting in contact with air that makes the soda ash..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
annabanana1234
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2009 08:31:52 PM »

Thanks for the tip, Smittenheart.

I made another batch today using only the CP method and I covered it with saran wrap. I made a stupid mistake on this last batch, though.  I wanted to try to color the top of the soap brown, so I mixed a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder with some soap and then poured that over the rest of the soap I'd already put in the mold.

Sounds good, right?

It turns out that I used a tin that said cocoa mix instead of plain cocoa powder. I didn't realize it until I was cleaning up and went to put the tin back in the cabinet. In addition to cocoa powder, it contained various forms of sugar & milk.  Shocked  I took off the extra insulation and found that it had already started to gel in the center. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I'll be a little more observant next time!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JadedMoonlight
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2009 07:16:34 PM »

Annabanana - that mold is such a cool shape, haha! It looks great. And good luck with your new mix!

I just wanted to ask... how many oz is the final product if I use this tutorial? Can I cut the whole recipe in half, or does that make it too tough for a newbie soaper? My mom already complains that I BUY too much soap, if I'm MAKING it too, she might just throw it in the trash. =/ So, yeah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annabanana1234
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2009 05:34:50 AM »

I think that you could definitely use less oils if you wanted to. To be on the safe side, you should probably plug your numbers into a lye calculater to be sure that you're using the right amount of lye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2009 08:25:51 AM »

Annabanana - that mold is such a cool shape, haha! It looks great. And good luck with your new mix!

I just wanted to ask... how many oz is the final product if I use this tutorial? Can I cut the whole recipe in half, or does that make it too tough for a newbie soaper? My mom already complains that I BUY too much soap, if I'm MAKING it too, she might just throw it in the trash. =/ So, yeah.

You will have to be even more exact with your oil and lye measurements if you make an even smaller batch.  This batch only makes 6-8 good sized bars of soap.  Just to avoid disappointment, I would just make the full batch.  It's really not that much.  Smiley

Basically, I think that the little bit of extra soap will be worth the lack of frustration.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 08:29:07 AM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
fluxxii
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2009 12:22:14 AM »

Thanks so much for this tutorial, it's amazing! I went with this tutorial for my first batch of soap so I can embrace the oven while I still have it. I have a feeling that once I go to college I won't be able to use this method; there's no way a communal oven will stay closed for 12 hours, even with a note! Unless...would this be okay in a toaster oven?

No pictures of my setup, but it wasn't anything special. I worked in my laundry room, since my oven is down there. I used the vegan recipe and it came out SUPER oily. Is that normal, and will it get better when it cures? I'm fairly sure I weighed everything out correctly. Anyway, on to the pictures!

Yay bars! They were super hard to cut because of the oiliness. I could barely get them to stack together because they kept slipping off.

Scraps. This is probably the result of the oil and 3am soapmaking. Can you say rebatch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2009 08:10:59 AM »

YEAH! Yeah Yeah! Finally did it ! Thanks so much everybody !I've been doing melt n' pour but this is my first batch of CP ! I'm so excited. This is from the recipie from the soap tutorial. I'm going to attempt to attatch pictures.
This is the Basic Olive Oil soap recipie (w/ coconut oil)- the vegan recipie. Next time I'm going to add the lard so I can see the differences in how it processes. I was a little nervous about the measuring because it seemed that the scale switched from oz to grams in the middle of my measuring- but I think it turned out okay. Someone else mentioned that you may want to have an extra mold ready- I shoulda had it ready- I scrambled and came up with a small 'side-dish' for the extra. I was also impatient with how long it takes the lye-solution to cool down to temp.- I guess I should have realized that but anyway that was the longest part of the process. The soap smelled just fantastic even though it's 'unscented' the olive oil had a delicious fruity smell-made me want to bake bread next- but I was like 'hey my oven will be occupied for the next 15 hours' LOL. I was very curious about how long the whole process would take i.e. how long would my husband need to keep the children occupied in the back yard while I played around in the kitchen. For others needing to schedule their time so tightly I say give yourself an hour from set-up to clean-up. I did some basic cleaning and wiping down of surfaces while waiting for the lye-solution to cool down.  ANYWAY....I'm hooked !This last pic is what I did with the extra bits that were left in the molds - I have to work on my mold situation (that's a phrase commonly heard in Katrina territory).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009 08:17:09 AM by Eclecticlyfe - Reason: added details » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2009 09:10:15 AM »

Eclecticlyfe..your soap looks perfect..awesome job..

good job keeping it unscented and simple the first time out..I bet you are hooked..have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Fabulous Winter Beauty Fixes
The Monday Makeover - Double Braid Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Full Brow Tutorial
Day to Night Makeup Tutorial with Cynthia Rowley Beauty
Birchbox Sneak Peek: November 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...