A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap making tutorial!  (Read 55304 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , cp_soap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2011 04:57:43 PM »

Very exciting! Can't wait to see your new soap. It can definitely puff up a little bit during the gel phase, it shouldn't overflow or anything but a little bit of rising is normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2011 07:37:14 PM »

I'm smack dab in the middle of BC, and I have found exactly one store that sells lye and one store that sells coconut oil and palm kernel oil. These stores are at polar opposite ends of our way the hell and gone spread out town, and I don't drive. I'm so excited to make the soap though, that it's all good. I even didn't make a noise at the DH going out on the town with his friend I don't like tonight - just so I can get him to buy me the coconut oil on Monday. Oh the tangled webs soaps weave ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2011 02:09:38 PM »

QUESTION - do i have to line the pringles cans as soap molds? and if so, how?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

chibilightangel
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2011 04:40:09 PM »

ok, so here are the photo results of my first batch (olive oil, coconut oil and lard). It's been tongue tested and no zapping (though oddly doesn't taste like that purple soap gum I somewhat remember). It even makes some lather bubbles. I'm letting it sit out to harden before starting to use it.

In the oven and rising. The one that did most of the rising was actually filled less than the other mold. Could thickness of pour (and I mean by less instead of more) make the soap rise more??

The next day right before removing the freezer paper liner and cutting

This is what the side looked like on the soap that did all the rising.... kinda makes me think of a pocket in yeast bread

This is the first cut into the second loaf of soap. There's a small discoloration partway through (seems to go through the whole loaf) but overall much more bar-like look to it.

And finally the whole second loaf all cut up. Is that soda ash that formed on the top? When I run my fingers over it, it doesn't leave a residue or anything, most of it seems to be from the rising that both soaps did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2011 10:50:28 PM »

You don't have any pockets of liquid on the inside do you? It kind of looks like it got too hot. That's definitely more puffing and deflating than from a regular gel phase. Do you have an internal temperature on your oven so you can see exactly how hot it gets?

Yep, looks like soda ash, did you put plastic wrap on the top? That will prevent it. (push it lightly down onto the raw soap, I usually wait 5 minutes or so after I pour so it's still soft/wet but a little more firm so it holds the plastic wrap ok.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011 10:52:08 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Myrdda

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2011 07:53:23 AM »

I just have a question before I start - do i have to line the pringles cans as soap molds? and if so, how?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

chibilightangel
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2011 05:10:52 PM »

Ok, so maybe the heat is the culprit then. I completely forgot that the oven runs 40 degrees hotter than it should, so it was half and hour after going into the oven that I remembered that and turned it down to 200. I didn't think that it would affect it like that. I'll be more careful next time.

I'm guessing that for lining a pringles can, you'd need to cut out a circular bottom, but like, larger than the can, that you'd then snip into to be able to have a 'lip' once you fold all the little pieces. I'd then make a tub to line the can, and I'd guess very carefully tape the bottom piece to my lining cylinder before dropping the whole thing into the can again and praying that it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myrdda

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2011 06:15:49 PM »

that sounds reasonable - i think i'll do that tonight, as i go to buy mats tomorrow. Maybe make the lining first, then slide it into the can?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

Myrdda

« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2011 08:53:52 PM »

whew! now to just wait a few hours to turn off the oven, then tomorter I's gots soap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

chibilightangel
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2011 07:41:27 PM »

I am now positive the extra heat is what caused all the weird rising in my first batch. I soaped again this weekend (slightly modified recipe to include some sunflower oil and shea butter, 23oz total) and put it in the oven at 190F, along with plastic wrap on top and the next morning I had a lovely log that had almost no ash on top. I'm very excited to try this new soap out and compare it to last week's batch which I am already using as my new shower soap 5 days running (gotta be my own guinea pig)

It's official, I am addicted to soaping. Please ensure that I am always heading towards the nearest soap supply merchant to feed this new addiction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 New Ways to Wear the Peplum Trend Right Now
Best-Dressed Celebs at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards
Salma Hayek Dresses in Bottega Veneta All Purple at the Prometheus Premiere
See How Alexa Chung Goes Ladylike in Black and White
10 New Ways to Wear a Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...