A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap making tutorial!  (Read 57457 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , cp_soap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2010 04:48:34 PM »

I use my scale for food stuff, but I have a separate pot and immersion blender. I know some people use the same stuff for their kitchen, but I'm a little paranoid and have the room to store separate equipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2010 09:31:42 AM »

Oven processing...Does it work all kinds of soap recipes? 

I've made several batches of soap, some with the recipe here and some with other recipes I've found.

What if I?....Can I?...Should I?  put all soaps in the oven for processing?

If I do put all soap recipes in the oven, just what exactly am I accomplishing? 

Rather than putting it under a insulation blanket and leaving undisturbed for a day or two, is oven processing "hurrying" things along a little?  Making it quicker to get to cutting? 

What does it do for curing rate?  Does that speed up too?

I'm still just trying to get a handle on the why's and what for's about soap making so I can understand it better.   Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2010 12:15:38 PM »

Wow! This is an awesome tutorial! It's very encouraging and I really like how thorough it is. I love soaps but haven't gotten into making it too much just yet - was a little nervous. Can't wait to get into it now! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coma_white96
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2010 07:44:05 AM »

Hiya,
I was just wondering if you could substitute the olive oil in the vegan recipe for any other oil? If so what oil would you suggest? (looking for something a little less expensive  Wink )
Also Im very interested in adding oats to the mixture, would these be added at 'trace' and what quantity would you suggest?

Thank You
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010 10:09:16 AM by coma_white96 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2010 01:33:28 PM »

You could substitute olive oil for something else (you would need to run it through a soap calc to figure out the new lye quantity)... but it's one of the best soaping oils so your soap wouldn't have all of the lovely qualities that this one does. You can use pomace olive oil, no need for extra virgin olive for soaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coma_white96
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2010 02:08:55 PM »

Awwwhh okay then thanks, Iv made a batch of this soap before with the olive oil but it cost me soo much ahaaha, il have to do some searching for deals on pomace olive oil
How many oats do you think i should use in this recipe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymphara
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2010 10:40:10 AM »

This tutorial is fantastic! Thank you so much for putting it together! I made my first batch last night, and can't wait to get home and un-mold and slice it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibilightangel
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2011 11:11:56 AM »

I am in the process of getting all my raw materials together (found a Canadian supplier that will ship lye). I'm thinking I'll buy a bit of shea butter and clay for a second batch, along with some scent. Any other suggestions of good extra raw materials to buy for early batches?

The lard or tallow that keeps being mentioned, can I use lard that you buy in the grocery store for baking (like for making pie crusts)? Tenderflake is lard (or other store brand lard), so it would solve that issue for me.

Also, coconut oil, should I be using a liquid or solid form? The online supplier I'll be ordering from has it in both forms, liquid being noted as 'fractionated', description as follows:
 Heat Processed Coconut Fractionated is liquid at room temperature. It differs from Regular Coconut Oil in that it is produced by heat rather then cold pressing. It is also used on oily skin as it will not clog pores. It can also be used as a treatment to condition dull or dry hair. Clear to Pale yellow an no scent. Fractionated Coconut produces a barrier on the skin, but will not clog pores. Shelf Life: Very slow to go rancid; minimum shelf life of 6 Months, but longer with proper storage conditions (cool, out of direct sunlight). Refrigeration after opening is recommended. Cautions: Allergic reactions to this oil is a possibility, though less so than regular coconut.

To start out I'm not thinking of getting my coconut oil online, but thought I might as well ask to get a better understanding of an oil that I see so often mentioned in recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2011 02:50:14 PM »

The grocery store lard is perfect! Fractionated coconut oil is not necessary for soap making, I would go with the regular (it's usually more expensive and can be used for lotions or other things).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibilightangel
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2011 03:12:00 PM »

Ok, first batch is completed and has been in the oven for 3 hours (I turned it off by now).

I hope I didn't mess up. When I looked in on the soap using the oven light, I was rather surprised that the soap seemed to be rising a bit like cake batter, though in a very uneven fashion. 2 hours later, it didn't rise any more and seems to have fallen a tiny bit, though I doubt it will go back to being flat. I did take a picture through the oven door if you're interested, though it will probably be fuzzy considering it's not clear glass. Have any of your had this happen with this method before?

I believe I got some air into my soap once with my immersion blender, so we'll just wait and see tomorrow when I unmold and cut how badly it will have affected the texture. I'm already excited for my next batch where I'll add EO (and mix up the oils maybe, we'll see what I come up with before my next soaping day).

I had a hard time finding coconut oil in supermarkets, finally found it in a health food store and also found it in the organic section of a higher end grocery store. For reference, I'm in Quebec.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
These Festival Outfits Are Everything!
The Crop Top Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...