A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,474
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother Innov-s 900D - Get Out Your Sunglasses for This Pillow!  (Read 3757 times)
Tags for this thread: brother , pillow_cover  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:50:55 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother Innov-s 900D Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother Innov-s 900D - Get Out Your Sunglasses for This Pillow!

Ok, once I was comfortable using the sewing part of the machine, I decided to try out one of the embroidery cards. They are so cute and little! I used Memory Card No. 14 Large Floral Patterns first since it did not seem so complex to me.  For those of you who know me, I am not much of a pastel person nor do I favor flowers much!

But, I felt challenged to use the cards that Brother sent to me, so I asked if it was ok to change up the colors to suit my personal style and taste to what I like to make!  Woo-hoo!! Once I got the OK, I decided to rummage through my scraps and decided to make a pillow!

This is the card I used:

See how simple it is to use?

The inspiration fabric was the one on the left.  I took the color chart provided with the embroidery card and substituted colors close to the ones in the inspiration fabric. I had to get turquoise because the blues sent to me did not match as much as I wanted. Fortunately, there was a huge sale at the fabric store!

Close up of design.  If you are new to machine embroidery like I was, be sure to leave extra room around your fabric to help you equal things out after you finish your design.  It will take a bit more practice for me to get the pattern lined up perfectly using the tools that came with the Brother sewing machine, but I think I did pretty good for my first try!

Oh, the trim was ripped off of some fancy schmancy guest hand towels (who uses those anyway??? Cheesy) Could it be any more matchey-matchey?  I just lucked out! YAY!

I made a button placket in back. Let me tell you--making buttonholes was a dream!  All three are PERFECT!  I love love the buttonhole maker on this machine!  batgirl, do you recognize the little sunflower buttons?  Grin

After making this pillow, I decided that if I was going to be changing up the colors, I needed one of those thread holders.  It keeps me more organized and I can get inspired everytime I see those little jewels!  Can you believe that I got all of those colors?  I purchased the metallics on my own and will be showcasing those in future projects!

A couple of things I learned:

1.  Wind up extra bobbins.  Although it is really easy to not lose your place or to start again if you run out, it is so much easier if you have these ready!  The bobbin thread does seem to last a very, very long time. I think I did three fairly big projects on one bobbin!

2.  Preshrink your fabric, especially if you are using the wash away stabilizer.  I do that right after I purchase the fabric so that I can go when I am inspired!

3.  Do a test if you are not sure of the color combo.  Since I quilt, I felt pretty confident and did not do this, but when you read my next project, you will see that it caught up with me! ha ha

4.  Challenge yourself...sometimes when you are given restrictions, like a preset pattern, you can get creative by changing colors, sizes, reverse the image, etc.  I loved this part of the campaign!

5.  When in doubt, refer to the manual!  The manual was very clear and kept me from panicking!  I read the whole thing before I even started this project, but when the thread broke the first time in the middle, I thought I was going to ruin my project!  Thank goodness I had bookmarked the page (like I knew that would definitely happen to me!  Wink)

Any questions or comments?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 08:16:51 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
EmilyFlew

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 09:30:15 PM »

I LOVE this! I love the colors that you chose for the pattern, it really makes the embroidery pop, it looks great! And I love how you accented it with fabric!

I love the thread holder too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 06:28:34 AM »

OH MY GOSH!  I adore this!! I think it might be my favorite of these projects. It reminds me of Latin American folk art, Central European folk art, and funky modern art, all at once. It's so cute without being cutesy. What a happy pillow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008 07:33:16 AM »

I agree! It reminds me of Mexican folk art style which I loooove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008 07:44:52 AM »

Now that you guys mentioned it, I did spend my high school years in Panama...the Cuna Indians of that country do a lot of gorgeous works in bright, happy colors!  I was probably unconsciously inspired by them!  Ethnic art is so creative and fun!

There is a wonderful ,almost hand quiting stitch, that I want to use to make some things similar to the items we saw in a store in Boston...not only do you use bright fabrics and embroideries, but also bright colors for "quilting"...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
babukatorium
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010 02:28:00 AM »

Stunning! Wonderful colors! I love Your style! @;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010 07:33:18 AM »

Thanks!  The lovely pillow resides with Leah, the founder of Craftster!  It is fitting because I have enjoyed this site so much and thanks to Craftster and Brother, I had a dream come true by getting my wonderful embroidery sewing machine for free! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
waggonswest

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010 06:41:12 AM »

Gorgeous.  I love how you coordinated the fabric and the thread. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
celestialvoice
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011 04:00:34 AM »

great job!  This is fantastic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
How to Know When to Cut Long Hair
How to Go from Really Long Hair to Really Short Hair
The Best Long Hairstyles for Round Faces
The Best Long Haircuts With Side Bangs
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...