A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Leather Jewelery  (Read 6205 times)
Tags for this thread: treble_clef , tutorial , brother  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2008 12:34:37 PM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Crafters campaign click here.
* To read more about the Brother SE-350 Embroidery and Sewing machine at Brother's website click here.

Brother SE-350 - Embroidered Leather Jewelery

While I was waiting for the machine to arrive, I took a few books out of the library on machine embroidery, and one had some really neat jewelery in it.  It totally inspired me, and I really wanted to make a piece like it.  Lately I've been super into pendants that can be switched around onto different necklaces, so I wanted to do some pieces like that as well.

I knew I needed a base for the embroidery and I wanted something solid, but that wouldn't fray.  I thought about vinyl, because I love my vinyl goodness Wink, but I really wanted the edges to be the same colour, so that they wouldn't detract from the embroidery.  Vinyl usually shows the white backing on the edges, so that wouldn't work.  I thought of leather, and hauled out my box of scrounged leather pieces and found the perfect ones!

All of my leather is from old clothing or purses, so it's in random pieces and has chunks cut out from previous projects, etc.  I knew the pieces weren't big enough to fit into the hoops, so i cut the tear away stabilizer to size and traced the inner hoop shape onto it.

Once I had the guideline of the hoop on the stabilizer, I basted the leather pieces around the edges to hold it to the stabilizer. 

After making the cardigan, I was a little bit obsessed with the rose image, and particularly with the outline.  I decided to try embroidering JUST the outline and I really love how it turned out.

I inserted the memory card with the roses on it, No. 74 and selected the pattern.

Then I went forward through the colours until I came to the last one, step 7 of 7. (There's more info about how to move between the colours in the housewares thread)

I threaded the machine with a cherry red embroidery thread (from another manufacturer) and pressed start, and this was the result!  The red really popped nicely against the black leather.

After I finished the first rose, I did some more embroidery wherever I could fit it in, trying to waste as little of the leather as possible.  You can see that I did two roses, and one seems darker - for that one, I did the same stitch pattern twice, because I wanted it to really stand out.

After the stitching was done, I very loosely cut out the embroidered pieces and glued them back to back with more leather using adhesive.  Once the glue was dry, I cut out the embroidery much more carefully through both layers of leather.

These are the necklaces I ended up with!
The rose, of course!

I made a hole in the leather using my sewing awl, and then threaded a large jumpring through it. The jumpring is big enough that I can slide it on and off the choker, letting me switch my pendants around.

The plain leather back.

Next, the crow.  I think I blame stifflersmom and rackycoo, because my crow-love has greatly blossomed since I've been influenced by them!  When I saw this pattern card, I was really tempted, because I'm such a prairie girl, but it wasn't until I got home that night and looked it up on the website and saw that it had a crow design that I decided I HAD to have it!  So I went back to the store. Grin

I wasn't super keen on the crow design, because I thought it was a bit more cartoony than my usual style due to the wide white mouth, but I still couldn't resist it and I thought the actual outline was fabulous.

I decided to embroider it in black on black leather, so that it would be like a silhouette, just with a bit more texture.  I used my awl to place two holes in it, and used black jewelery wire to create two hangers.

I LOVE the texture of the embroidery.  The feathers are so perfect!

The plain back.

This piece was inspired by the book I read.  I was really loving the simple music shapes in this memory card, and I thought the treble clef would be striking as a pendant on a necklace.

(I can't find the memory card on the Brother site..... which may explain why it was on such a good sale? Cry)

Again, I basted the leather onto the stabilizer before putting it into the hoop, leaving the overlap free to prevent crease lines from the hoop tension.

Because the leather piece was so narrow, I had to be very careful that i positioned the embroidery properly!  Using the 4 arrows on the LCD touch screen, I was able to move the image around until it was in the right place.

To doublecheck, I pressed this button, which moves around the hoop showing the outer edges of the design and the positioning you've chosen.

To create the cord that's the base of the necklace, I zigzagged over black synthetic cording, like drawstring type cord, with black sewing thread, and then again with black embroidery thread to add some shine.  I changed how close the zigzag stitches were with each layer, building them up to cover the cord entirely.

After I'd finished the black layers, I did a single layer with a burgundy sewing polyester using one of the fancy stitch patterns that came with the machine.  I could have used embroidery thread, but I wanted the burgundy to be a bit more dull, just like it is on the embroidered piece.

I cut the cording to the right length, and then singed the ends with a lighter, to keep the cording from fraying.  Since the cord flattened as I sewed it and ended up quite thick, the usual leather crimps wouldn't work to attach the clasp.  I sewed two split rings onto the ends and attached the clasp to one of them.

I used my awl again to poke through the cord, then used dark toned headpins to hang beads and the treble clef pendant from the cord.

By that point I decided I had enough necklaces, so I changed my original plan for the letters that spelled out CRAFTY, and made them into pins.

I had always intended to make the cat into a pin, since my mom collects cat pins.  By changing the colours of the design, I was able to make a cat that looks just like her kitty-grandbaby (my little brat!).

This is the design for the kitten in the original colours.  It's very cute as well (though not quite as cute as my tuxedo baby - but I might be biased! Wink)

The gothic style lettering for the pins came from Memory Card #1 - Alphabet.  It has a few more font styles than the machine came with (the machine came with 5, I'm just greedy!), including this one.

I used a small bar pin on the back of the cat, and recycled tie tack pins for the lettering.  Since some of the letters were smaller than the Expo86 pins I was using (I love Expo86 ephemera, but I didn't need 20 lapel pins!), I had my dad chop at them with his big metal cutter thingies to make them a bit smaller. They were glued on with adhesive.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 08:12:43 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008 07:19:32 PM »

This is a really great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008 06:32:22 AM »

You are such a great outside-the-box thinker. These are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Urban Threads

Full tutorials!! http://tiny.cc/tutorials534

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008 12:23:28 PM »

thats a really cool idea!  I think the crow is my favorite
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like the project?  Check out full tutorials for all posted projects at www.urbanthreads.co m
craftydame

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008 01:48:44 PM »

thanks you guys! i was really really happy with how these turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andi_sunrider
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008 02:26:09 PM »

I like the raven/crow ones a lot. We should talk about how long they take to make, if you might me to take some to sickle. I think it's a really unique take on the crow obsession going around right now.

I didn't realize you had like, zigzagged over the cording and stuff! That's hardcore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
craftydame

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008 02:13:38 AM »

oh, yeah, i'm hardcore! Grin

if you can find me more leather, we can make more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Strasnick Talks About Her and Me and You
Scott Westerfeld Talks About Working with an Illustrator
Mireille Giuliano Talks About Women, Work and the Art of Savoir Faire
Dr. Herbert Benson Talks About Relaxation Revolution
Meet Author Kathleen McGowan
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...